Apr 20, 2024, 01:50 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bevel Angle

Started by magepro, Aug 06, 2009, 02:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

magepro

Aug 06, 2009, 02:23 pm Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 05:10 am by scarfwearer
The bevel that goes on the base... what's that angle?

I know that some have no angle at all, but we need one as it's going to have people all over it.

Thanks Tons for the help!!!
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

Scarfwearer

Aug 06, 2009, 04:44 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 05:10 am by scarfwearer
I've not seen it discussed anywhere. Mine's 45°.

Crispin

kiwidoc

Aug 06, 2009, 07:48 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 05:10 am by scarfwearer
It is 45 degrees - assuming you've got 2" clearance from the posts, the bevel cuts off one inch of that and heightwise, if the base is 3" high, the bevel takes off the top 1"

By the way ,great to see all of your posts, your plans and progress are very impressive!   Agree with you entirely re planning it out and about lighting and note that the interior shots where you see some naked bulbs behind the sign when inside the TARDIS console room would not light the signs up very much from outside if that were all that was installed really.

Quote from: magepro on Aug 06, 2009, 02:23 pmThe bevel that goes on the base... what's that angle?

I know that some have no angle at all, but we need one as it's going to have people all over it.

Thanks Tons for the help!!!

magepro

Quote from: kiwidoc on Aug 06, 2009, 07:48 pm
It is 45 degrees - assuming you've got 2" clearance from the posts, the bevel cuts off one inch of that and heightwise, if the base is 3" high, the bevel takes off the top 1"

By the way ,great to see all of your posts, your plans and progress are very impressive!  Agree with you entirely re planning it out and about lighting and note that the interior shots where you see some naked bulbs behind the sign when inside the TARDIS console room would not light the signs up very much from outside if that were all that was installed really.

I really appreciate your comments! Keep 'em comin'!!

Our Trent-the-Builder didn't exactly follow the plans as he had in his own mind how he wanted to do it. The base is tough enough to drive a truck across or have it park on it. There are leveling feet that put it up a little higher too. This changed how the metal brackets were used and messed up the original plan for the leveling feet.

It worked out OK though. It allowed for deeper slots for the posts to anchor in and made them a little more stable than was planned. The wall/door was supposed to be interchangeable but, due to the construction of them like cabentry, it didn't quite match as close as we anticipated. Problem with the construction that way, it appears to be flattened out when a flash camera is used. There is no depth to it.

The angle is about 45 degrees, but it may be more like 37+ degrees. It's hard to say as I eyeballed it. It was originally cut to 45 by use of a router. However, it didn't look right. When we get moved next month, I get an area to work on it again. I'll measure it and let you know.

There is still much to do as you know. The signs at the top and corner covers didn't fit well due to the changes Trent-the-Builder made. I have to say that I loved the fresnel lamp on top. Problem was that it was not seated properly in its holder and was WAAAAYY too high on the roof. I did want to to be up there above the banners and all so it could be seen from quite a distance at the con. But that just didn't look right.

Yep, we are working on quite a few things in March.

As mentioned before, I wanted to try and get that effect that is on the inside of the TARDIS with the supports. I'm not sure what the texture is though. That's for another post in another area.  ;D
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom