Apr 25, 2024, 04:27 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kroton Disintegrator Blaster

Started by galacticprobe, Dec 28, 2017, 06:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 28, 2017, 06:49 pm Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017, 07:01 pm by galacticprobe
Well, since elkad was wondering about the Kroton's disintegrator blaster (what it might be made of) - mainly because he thought it looked like it would pull the poor sod inside the Kroton costume over - it made me think that he was thinking of starting a build of one. And since we didn't have a reference topic for it yet, I thought I'd get one started. (I left the "Build Type" as "Not Assigned" because I couldn't find anything in the list to associate this reference with. So I'll leave that up to one of the Mods to assign it, or create a new database for this one.)

And now, on to the start of the reference material.

Kroton-Blaster-01.jpg
Not sure where this one came from, but the wife found it on one of her Doctor Who Facebook Hub pages and saved it for me. (How prophetic was that?) From this angle, that blaster almost looks like the service module from the old Apollo spacecraft... or one of those propane tanks with a small rocket exhaust nozzle glued to it.

Kroton-Blaster-02.jpg
Nice high-res image, courtesy of Tony Farrell (from this thread on the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=206.0: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8297.0). Open this one in a new window and use the magnifying glass cursor to see it full size.

Kroton-Blaster-03.jpg
This screen grab is courtesy of Marc (rassilonsrod), also from the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=206.0 thread on http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8297.0. (Lightened slightly to bring out more details, and sharpened just a little.)

So that's it for the images of the Kroton blaster so far, all gathered in one place. Hopefully we'll find more to add.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Dec 28, 2017, 10:22 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017, 10:41 pm by elkad
I looked over tragicalhistorytour.com & borrowed a few screencaps. Some of the scenes are blurred by smoke. I also got some reference shots to narrow down the scene, so those with DVD screenshot capability's know were to look.

d02-2w-c280.jpgd02-2w-c290.jpgd02-2w-c294.jpgd02-2w-c295.jpgd02-2w-c298.jpgd02-2w-c299.jpgd02-2w-c311.jpgd02-2w-c312.jpgd02-2w-c315.jpgd02-2w-c395.jpgd02-2w-c397.jpgd02-2w-c398.jpgd02-2w-c428.jpgd02-2w-c429.jpg

I'm thinking these props are ether attached to pipe, to the back of the costume were its weighted down, or its made of fiberglass, or some very light weight foam & weighted close to the costume.

Kroton Costume Weight.jpg

davidnagel

I went on a Kroton photo binge recently, I'll find them again promise, but I noticed in that first picture - a higher quality version - you can see where the weapon is held in place by "invisible string".
Regards
David

davidnagel

Its always after you say you'll find them that you actually find them.

Here's the bigger picture.

Look at black tubing on its left arm, you can "see the wires".

p015lp1g.jpg

Regards
David

davidnagel

As an aside, how tall would you say the Krotons were? 6ft?
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Dec 29, 2017, 07:01 am #5 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 07:11 am by galacticprobe
Looking at that photo of the Kroton near the TARDIS, if they're both on level ground (so to speak), I'd say the top of the Kroton's "head" is closer to 7 or 8 feet (maybe 7.5 feet?) as it comes almost to the top of the TARDIS roof: not the lamp, just the roof.

Quote from: davidnagel on Dec 29, 2017, 01:20 am
Here's the bigger picture.

Look at black tubing on its left arm, you can "see the wires".

Opening that photo in a new window to see it full size really shows the wires. From the spread of them, it looks like they've made a loop of that wire (fishing line?), placed it around the blaster's nozzle, then put a twist in it so the loop comes to a "point" at the domed part of the blaster, and then the loop widens out as it goes up and over the Kroton's head (resting around its neck, like a sling for an injured arm).

Also, when you see that photo at full size, the texture of the blaster looks like it could indeed be made from foam - like florist foam - carefully carved and painted. And while that might keep the blaster lightweight, it's still an unwieldy thing when you're trying to get some "claw" to hold it steady, even with a tube going into the arm, which is why the wires might be necessary.

Does any of that make sense?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Now that the mystery of how they hold up the the gun, grate find davidnagel, is solved. Can someone snap some pics of the Krotons weapon before it fires. I have the scene pic, but its covered in smoke & fire.

elkad

Dec 29, 2017, 08:53 pm #7 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 08:53 pm by elkad
Found another pic with the string.  ;D

d02-2w-071.jpg

the pioneer

Ooh!! Complete with a Original Doctor Tardis:-)

markofrani

That's the 1:3 scale model TARDIS first seen in 'The Romans', re-dressed with two handles to match the full size prop....

galacticprobe

Dec 30, 2017, 05:52 am #10 Last Edit: Dec 30, 2017, 05:55 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: markofrani on Dec 29, 2017, 11:27 pm
That's the 1:3 scale model TARDIS first seen in 'The Romans'...

Gah! You beat me to it! (I was going to pull a Monty Python "It's only a model", and add 'with forced-perspective to make it look farther away than it actually was'.)

Still a great photo of both, though! And you can see those Krotons use the same robotics parts company that made the arms for the Lost In Space Robot, at least as far as the accordion-pleat part is concerned. :)

Dino.