News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Four To Doomsday - Monopticon build

Started by elkad, Dec 26, 2017, 09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Dec 26, 2017, 09:57 pm Last Edit: Dec 26, 2017, 10:28 pm by rassilonsrod
Reference: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8314.msg105089#msg105089

I tried to use a half foam sphere for a mold, & failed my first attempt. How do I separate the foam form the baking flower paper mache'?
What can I use to separate the next one? Saran-wrap, cooking spray, some sort of oil, I'm open for suggestions right now.

IMG_20171223_194600.jpgIMG_20171224_112359.jpgIMG_20171225_091424.jpg

The14thDr

Dec 26, 2017, 11:39 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 26, 2017, 11:41 pm by The14thDr
Well, I was about to suggest that you try covering your styrofoam ball in clingfilm before applying the paper mache, as this should in theory make it easier for you to peel it off of the dome - but then I realised that this might make it a lot harder to apply the paper mache in the first place.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, elkad. I shall keep thinking, however. :)

EDIT: Okay, I did a quick Google search and apparently, applying cooking oil, washing up liquid or even a layer of wet paper (no glue) to your form should act as a "release agent" and stop the paper mache from sticking to your dome. I can't guarantee that it'll work, but i hope it helps you anyway.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Dec 27, 2017, 06:24 am #2 Last Edit: Dec 27, 2017, 06:24 am by galacticprobe
Another possibility is leaving the foam sphere in place, thereby providing some structural re-inforcement to the paper mache. You wouldn't have to worry about the paper mache shell cracking while you worked on the details, and you'd have something to really anchor your mounting tube or dowel to, and it would provide more surface area when it comes time to stick the two halves together. Something else to consider, anyway.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Apr 20, 2018, 03:44 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 20, 2018, 03:58 pm by elkad
I'm trying another method. Using a rubber inflatable ball & cooking oil spray to release.

Tip: Working with paper mache can get very messy. Make sure you have a wide space, some type of covering over the space & yourself, & always have a unlimited supply of paper towel or tissues close buy in case of accidents. (the adhesive for the mache drips off you fingers & the prop your working on the table & what every your wearing)

BTW(buy the way), The adhesive is a cup of flower & one & a half cup water, mixed thoroughly with a hand blender.

Minopticon (4).jpgMinopticon (5).jpg

russellsuthern

Looking good!
And it also gives me the chance to use my gag about being hit right in the Monoptocons... Ouch!!

Regards,

Russell

Cardinal Hordriss

I still smirk when Monarch chides the Doctor for interfering with his monopticons.

"I wouldn't dream of interfering with your monopticons."
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

elkad

Apr 21, 2018, 04:12 pm #6 Last Edit: Apr 21, 2018, 04:26 pm by elkad
I wiped up a mache of paste for the third layer.
Manly water, flower & blended up news paper, with a little salt for an anti-bacterial. I tried to make it thick as possible without braking the blender.
When I started smelling the heat coming off the blender, I was done.

Minopticon (6).jpgMinopticon (7).jpgMinopticon (8).jpg

I'm going to add the paste, or what I call it Concrete, on small arias at first & let dry, so it doesn't drip. Once it's all dry I'll start sanding then let the air out of the ball via a basketball rubber needle valve thingy on the bottom of the ball, were the cup is holding the whole piece up.

Minopticon (9).jpgMinopticon (10).jpg

I did find some videos on YouTube on how to make a Paper Mache Paste, or Dough.
A paste will be for like building up a paper mache, the dough gives it detail.
How I Make Paper Clay 2018 by: Where The Gnomes Live https://youtu.be/zlpX-7aWe0M?list=PL657FF151C1D41FBC

elkad

Apr 23, 2018, 06:38 pm #7 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2018, 06:39 pm by elkad
I tried sanding the paper ball but it has too many lumps, so I gave it a thin coat of paste to fill the gaps & divots. I'm going to have to make several more layers & sand it down to a make a clean sphere.
I used a swivel fan to dry the ball out, & the cooking spray worked when I removed the rubber ball. Came out smoothly. :)

I plan on filling the inside with Grate Stuff foam to keep the ball shape, now I removed the rubber ball.

Any Ideas on how I will make the Tetris like shapes on the ball & inside the iris frame? I was also thinking making the iris like a camera iris. Anyone know how to make a gear driven iris using bike cables or something like that. Iris blueprints I can print out would help. I can make a PVC iris from the printout & focus using a small rod or cable in the back of the prop.

Minopticon (11).jpgMinopticon (12).jpgMinopticon (13).jpgMinopticon (14).jpgMinopticon (15).jpg

The14thDr

Looking great so far, elkad!

For the iris, maybe this Instructable will be of some help: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-12-leaves-Mechanical-Irirs/
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

elkad

Apr 24, 2018, 07:19 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 07:21 pm by elkad
Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 24, 2018, 05:30 am
Looking great so far, elkad!

For the iris, maybe this Instructable will be of some help: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-12-leaves-Mechanical-Irirs/

Nice find. I found another Instructables that showed how to make iris glasses a wile back, but I was looking for an iris that use ether gears or a pull cable. This design is grate but it means I would have to reach in or make a long tube to turn the mechanism. Humm... ??? Now I think of it, that not a bad Idea.

BTW: I found an animated video on how the iris works.

https://youtu.be/W5RBZb7SqS8

elkad

Apr 24, 2018, 07:42 pm #10 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 07:44 pm by elkad
I had trouble with my wood paste. I didn't have enough to layer the ball, so I made more paper mache paste & smoothed it all down with a butter knife. Not easy to do when your balancing on a cardboard tube.

TIP: When paper machining a sphere, Don't take out the rubber ball until your satisfied with the shape & texture. aka layers & sanding. Impatience gets me all the time. I ripped the part around the hole twice & had to re-paste.

I plan on making another, just in case this one falls apart in my haste

Minopticon (16).jpgMinopticon (17).jpg

elkad

Apr 26, 2018, 04:23 pm #11 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018, 04:38 pm by elkad
"That's No Moon! ;D

Minopticon (18).jpg

BIG TIP: Do Not remove your mold, aka rubber balloon, until your completely finished. Adding more paste made the ball wet & collapse. I put the rubber ball back in & let it dry, then sanded the ball with my dremel to remove the wrinkles, (the entire ball look like a prune), then went over the ball with rough & light sand paper to level out the dips & craters.
Still haven't fixed the rip at the bottom.

Minopticon (19).jpg

I'm going to make the opening as the access point to the ball for battery's, switches, ex., & cut a hole in the front for the eye.

galacticprobe

Apr 27, 2018, 05:14 am #12 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 05:14 am by galacticprobe
Wow, Nate, that looks like a lot of work! It's looking pretty good, though, so whatever you're doing, you're doing it right. (I wish I could offer an easier way of doing that, but I just can't think of one at the moment.)

Keep going! I can't wait to see this one finished.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Apr 28, 2018, 03:20 pm #13 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 03:24 pm by elkad
Another Problem!  I tried to fix the tare in the ball, pasted over the rip & set it in a heated room. The constant heat made things worse.

Minopticon (20).jpg

So I tried making layers of paste & using a hair dryer on alternating cold & warm settings on a high fan speed. (The dryer comes with a cool down button so it was easier to change from hot to cold. Holding the hair dryer till your arm felt like it was going to fall off was another thing.)
I had to use alternating hot & cold to make sure I don't melt the rubber ball by accident.
The paste would contract when it dried, that's why it ripped, so I add more paste when needed in cracks or divots.

Minopticon (21).jpg

TIP: Always add more paste than you think you need, the paste will shrink to half it's size.
TIP: When repairing a crack or divot, use a hair drier with a hot & cold setting, DON'T AIR DRY. (air dry is just leaving it out to dry in the ambient temperature.)

(I hope the crack is gone when I start sanding again.)

Minopticon (22).jpg

elkad

Apr 29, 2018, 05:23 pm #14 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2018, 05:24 pm by elkad
I sanded & the crack came back. Not to bad tho, I think I can fill it in with extra coat of paint.

Minopticon (23).jpg

It's not as smooth as I like. It still has divots & tinny craters. All I can think of doing is adding more paint layers & sand. Anyone have any other ideas or know of any how to videos on sanding & painting a glossy paper mache.

Minopticon (25).jpgMinopticon (24).jpg