May 19, 2024, 12:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hyndland Road and Prince Albert Road

Started by starcross, Dec 17, 2017, 05:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

Dec 17, 2017, 05:05 am Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 05:12 am by starcross
This is an old tinted postcard I gather from the site. The original had the Box tinted green like the lamp post, I shifted the hue to a more dignified Red as is tradition in Glasgow.

Still this offers the cleanest view of the front Door I've seen yet, and it's wood planks.
I like the insulators for the incoming electrical lines.   

Source: glasgowhistory.com - 1905
B23 - Hyndland Road 1905 - Red.jpg

hb88banzai

Dec 17, 2017, 07:09 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 07:49 am by hb88banzai
Yes, found this a long time ago (was short on cash so missed getting the slightly overpriced original postcard off of eBay), but it's not quite where you put it.

Did the searching at the time, and apparently it was resited or simply replaced by newer Mark 4 Boxes at slightly different locations, as at Parkhead Cross (yes, I need to post that one too).

Anyway, this Mark 1 was actually at Hyndland Road & North Gardner Street, Kelvinside.

Here's a similar POV from where it stood (would have stood on corner just behind this view, noting that this is with Streetview's wide angle lens distorting the POV a bit and original vantage point was a little down North Gardner behind and to the left) --

Hyndland_Road_&_North_Gardner_Street-Kelvinside-Glasgow-Mark 1 POV Streetview (Jul 2008).JPG

URL: https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8755566,-4.3054866,3a,75y,343.99h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHlZ1K9N6-P67KSs1DhmX0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If that isn't quite convincing, here's a slight zoom in to better replicate the view of the old longer focal length lenses --

Hyndland_Road_&_North_Gardner_Street--POV Streetview (Jul 2008)--Zoomed.JPG

Nice retouch you did of the postcard image to make the Box red though. Not sure why they originally coloured it green - here's the original copy I have (and it's a touch larger - yikes, did I really find this in 2014???) --

Hyndland_Road_&_North_Gardner_Street-Kelvinside-Glasgow-Mark1-(Pre1910).jpg

Here's another copy of it I found last year, with a slightly different colouring job by the retouch artists (though still green, noting that it's a lower res image, but also shows more of the Box and the little street light island it was on) --

Glasgow-Police-Public-Call-Box--Hyndland Road, circa 1905.jpg

starcross

Quote from: hb88banzai on Dec 17, 2017, 07:09 am
Did the searching at the time, and apparently it was resited or simply replaced by newer Mark 4 Boxes at slightly different locations, as at Parkhead Cross (yes, I need to post that one too).

Anyway, this Mark 1 was actually at Hyndland Road & North Gardner Street, Kelvinside.

Well it was a long time ago, It doens't help the database is for the 1930s system either.
I think I'll leave the topic title as it is now, if the 1930s Box xomes up it'll have a place to go, but I'll make a note in the Database entry to explain it.

hb88banzai

Dec 17, 2017, 07:32 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 07:39 am by hb88banzai
I'd leave the database entry to me. I'm in the process of doing a lot of revisions to it and would like to keep track of what I did vs what someone else does.

Oops, you've already done it. That one's fine, but do be aware things are getting changed right and left in there.

starcross

Quote from: hb88banzai on Dec 17, 2017, 07:32 am
I'd leave the database entry to me...but do be aware things are getting changed right and left in there.

That's all I've got for Glasgow right now. My research has taken me off the streets and towards Charles Eggar the designer and the Macfarlane Company that manufactured the Mark 1s.

Anyway for the sake of your sanity you really need to post less than perfect entries for all these photos you have.
I gave up on being perfect for Edinburgh a long time ago. If I can get a map only entry linked to the database I'm a happy guy, if I can pull a aerial photo from BFA at the same time Bonus.

Again apologies for all the toes stomping this evening.

hb88banzai

Dec 17, 2017, 07:58 am #5 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 08:05 am by hb88banzai
You are absolutely right, and no apologies necessary. If I hadn't gotten around to posting by this time... Just kind of an interesting bit of synchronicity that I was finally getting around to these things when you find the same pics and post in such close proximity. The universe if funny like that.

Also, I think one of the reasons I didn't post at the time was that I wasn't quite certain I should, considering it was resited a full two (long) blocks away and we had no pictures of the Mark 4 at Prince Albert Road. I like your idea of tying it together anyway, considering the relatively close proximity. I will take your lead and do the same for the Mark 2 at Parkhead Cross, which became C39 a mere half block south (though with that I also have a very blurry aerial pic of the Mark 4).