New, New TardisBuilders!

Broomhill Cross

Started by starcross, Dec 17, 2017, 02:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

Dec 17, 2017, 02:30 am Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 02:32 am by starcross
Source: Glasgow History - 1911
Broomhill-Cross-Glasgow.jpg

Broomhill Cross is located at the junction of Crow Road with Broomhill Drive.
"Here, we are looking directly along Broomhill Drive, circa 1911, and the tramcar on the right is coming up from Crow Road. The fine red sandstone tenements in view are relatively new and incorporate a row of commercial premies on the ground floor. The structure with the large gas lantern on top, visible on the far right of the photograph, is a police call box, and Glasgow has the distinction of being the first city in the kingdom to install them, beginning in 1891. The hexagonal structure was made of cast iron and the gas lantern could be activated remotely from the police station, alerting an officer on the beat to call in. The tower in view on the left is actually part of the residence on the other side of Broomhill Gardens from the church. Perhaps it was the manse. It is interesting to note that around 15 years earlier, Broomhill did not exist. This was all open space."

Source: Streetview April 2017
B10 - Broomhill Cross - Streetview 2017.JPG

As you can see the area hasn't changed much in 100 years, and the building in the centre is still there.
This is certainly the oldest Police box I've managed to get a photo of, and its so clear too!

Source: National Library of Scotland Map
B10 - Broomhill Cross - NLS Map.jpg

This map shows the 1930s box location, but the Mark 1 is located on the corner just behind the tram tracks near house 240.
I expect that the Mark 2 was also in that location in 1912 or so when replaced.

hb88banzai

Dec 17, 2017, 04:17 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 06:21 am by hb88banzai
Argh, I was actually going to post this last night, but got caught up in updating the Glasgow Database, as fully a third have yet to have had their locations put in for streetviews and our Glasgow Map.

Of course I think I've had my copy for many months now...  ::)

Anyway, I see you didn't catch the other ones though:

Another shot of the Mark 1, postmarked 1911 --

B10--Glasgow Mark 1 on corner - Crow Road-Broomhill - Postmarked 1911.jpg

And a glimpse of the later Mark 4, c1955 --

B10--Crow Road-Broomhill Cross - Glasgow Mark 4 - c1955 - (C1292-imageMQDSEFKM).jpg

Interestingly, here we also get a good view of the original corner the Mark 1 was on - in fact taking up most of the shot (would have been sited about centre frame).

You can just make out the roof of the Mark 4 all the way on the left, sitting on the island peeking out from behind the GPO kiosk(s) --

B10--Crow Road-Broomhill Cross - Glasgow Mark 4 - c1955 - Blowup.JPG

Oddly, from this photo it also looks like the OS map's labeling is a bit deceiving, leading one to believe the wrong objects are the PCB and TCB, and leaving out the the "s" on the latter as there were two GPO Kiosks right next to each other. I'll look up to see if later maps clarify it.

starcross

Quote from: hb88banzai on Dec 17, 2017, 04:17 am
Argh, I was actually going to post this last night...

I know that feeling all to well.

You know me I'm not much for stepping on peoples toes for The Met or Glasgow. I'm trying to find as many photos of the Mark 1s as I can to understand the Plans for them,  Since I'm looking I figured I'd Post them if I can find them, I have Mark 1 photos for D31 and B44 to post tonight as well.

hb88banzai

Yes, ones I had also found, plus there are a few more to post there and elsewhere (and a few Mark 2's as well). No problem though.

Note, however, the Mark 1 you ascribed as B44 was in error, it's actually B39 at Partick Cross (still Byres Road, just not B44) when it was on the corner outside The Tower Bar P.H.