News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Time Rotor Shell suggestions?

Started by sampre, Dec 12, 2017, 11:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sampre

Dec 12, 2017, 11:12 pm Last Edit: Dec 12, 2017, 11:19 pm by sampre
Hello!
I've been working on building my own Tardis console inspired by the 4th Doctor's design, and I can't find a transparent cylinder 10 or 12" in diameter to work as the "Time Rotor" shell.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Time_rotor.jpg

timewomble

Hi Sampre,

That's a picture from the console used by Doctors 5, 6 and 7. If that's the one you want, something like this might be your best bet.

http://clearplastictube.co.uk/Clear-Acrylic-Tube/Clear-Acrylic-Tube-Cast?product_id=991

They do other diameters in case you change your mind and want a McGann-style column.

On the other hand, the 4th Doctor's console (not counting the wooden one) had a column casing that looked like it was made from one or two sheets of clear plastic, bent around and fastened in place with metal strip.

Best regards,

Peter.

sampre

Dec 13, 2017, 03:56 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2017, 03:58 pm by sampre
Thanks for the help!

(I should have said I am building the Time Rotor with the "short" design in mind, compared to ones like the McGann-style.)

timewomble

Understood. Unfortunately i couldn't see any shorter cylinders in that diameter.

Cardinal Hordriss

Mine wasn't full-sized but I got all my acrylic bits from these folks -

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/thewholesaleposco2009/
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

troughtonstrousers

Dec 13, 2017, 05:08 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 04:42 am by warmcanofcoke
Did mine with a acrylic disc and bent plastic round was far cheaper

TT

05DCC2A2-B872-420F-9306-3FE60A9A00EF.jpegF5941766-5095-4399-B1AE-F180BB7FF456.jpeg

galacticprobe

Dec 13, 2017, 10:00 pm #6 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2017, 10:00 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: troughtonstrousers on Dec 13, 2017, 05:08 pm

And dare I say, from those photos, extremely accurate to the original, at least as seen on the Sharp Console of the Pertwee through the Pre-"Five Doctors" eras.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timewomble

Quote from: troughtonstrousers on Dec 13, 2017, 05:08 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what was the thickness of the plastic sheet and the disc?

Thanks,

Peter.

troughtonstrousers

Thanks Dino!!

Hi Peter
The disc is 2mm thick, the sheet is thin can't remember the size exactly but it's bendy about the thickness of a laminate sheet
Hope that helps
TT

timewomble

Volpone

I was going to say IIRC even the 5 Doctors time rotor had a seam--and then I looked at the image in the OP.  It looks to have a pretty obvious seam visible just to the left of the...tower of crystals? 

If I ever got around to building one, I was considering experimenting with making transparent fiberglass, but given that I've never even worked with fiberglass, I think I'll just do it the easy (and screen accurate) way. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.