Toward a True Concrete Police Box Replica in Central California

Started by WonderWheeler, Feb 21, 2024, 08:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WonderWheeler

I am looking at building a concrete police box. It will require only two forms. One being for the sidewalls, and later one for the roof. Drawings are more or less complete. Using a Autocad clone called Progecad (pronounced pro-gee cad). As a hobby project, although currently without the wife's knowledge or permission, will see how that works out.

I see some videos about the making of concrete grills in India apparently, they throw in a slurry of mortar looking stuff to coat the inside of the form, then pour powder on top of that a little, soaking up some moisture, add some pencil wire or mesh, then some more powder or water, screeding off the top, a fairly dry mix in the end. I would probably let it set overnight and then flip it out of the mold.

For the side with the door,the door opening would be blocked out of course, probably another pour for the door by itself. If things are strong enough. Looking at 1.5 to 2" of wall thickness. One side each includes part of a corner column. Probably angle brackets holding it together inside. Not sure yet. CAD files available if anyone wants them.

Will probably have to make the forms weatherproof as they will live outside. A fairly dry climate here normally. [attach id=248732]2023 police box11.jpg

alexcutler

WonderWheeler

Sorry, the grey lines ended up being too light, here is a colored version.

The sign projections are intended to match the projection of the base such that the wall panel will lie perfectly flat when laying on the ground on its face. Although some temporary blocks would be needed for intermediate support to keep it from sagging, cracking. Some steel reinforcement would be needed in the slabs, and probably Fibermesh in the mix. Fibermesh was originally developed for US missile silos. This being a more gentle use.

On reflection, the door would probably best be cast in some kind of resin composite for durability and lighter weight.

russellsuthern

WonderWheeler

Latest blueprints, for the public domain.

Trying to work out how the concrete forms would fit together. Gets complicated at the top and bottom corners, so some changes expected to the red lines that indicate formwork. First is the sides. Later should be the top.

Andrew Harvey

Hello Wonder wheeler, I wondered (?) if you saw the post I put up for you recently with the illustrations showing the concrete parts and the metal work contained therein? It shouldnt be too far down the 'posts' by now. ( I had a devil of a job finding it again and then could not work out how to get it into your thread....) The illustrations should help you to work out the build fairly easily. Good luck!

Andrew

Volpone

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on Feb 24, 2024, 08:08 pm...I had a devil of a job finding it again and then could not work out how to get it into your thread....
You should be able to click the link in your browser address bar and paste it into a post. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

WonderWheeler

I have had trouble copy and pasting URL's lately myself. Hope its not a virus or nefarious data skimmer on my machine. Or a bad interaction with other software. Keep trying to clear system clipboard but it just kinda vibrates the clear button.

I am well aware of the original design using separate concrete columns and separate wall panels, a piece for the police sign illuminated bit, and another for the roof interlocking the bit below. Being an old guy I was hoping to simplify things in the number of pieces, if not in how they fit together. Maybe using a triangular crane, some hand pumped hydraulic "porta power" type lifting extensions, electric winch, and such. Only had a wood wall fall on me once. And have lifted and moved a garage/shop, hobby shed, two story tank house. Although an engineer friend helped with lifting the tank house up and down with a Gradeall fork lift. Am glad to accept suggestions.

I also found the video of the demolition of a box from the 1960's instructive, and pictures of a wrecked one from a trolly accident I think it was.

Andrew Harvey; I followed the discussion on the Fresnel lights closely, and used what i could of them as careful underlays. I will look for further info on the metal used. I searched under your name but did not find anything yet. Thanks for trying. (edited)

Andrew Harvey

Jolly good, I do not think its glitches or anything (with reference to the above) simply that I am useless with machines and computers in particular! Its been a while since I did anything other than write the odd missive on this forum. ( Thanks Volpone)
 Glad the illustrations are of some use.
 Andrew