Apr 27, 2024, 01:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Shada Modelwork and Craftsmen all.

Started by tony farrell, Dec 10, 2017, 12:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros Skaro

I realize that they are still working on the "new" version of "Shada", so when is it suppose to be available on DVD?

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2017, 05:48 am #16 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 06:00 am by galacticprobe
According to Wikipedia - if the source material is correct:

On 24 November 2017, a further effort to complete the serial, using newly recorded dialogue from the original cast (using the serial's original recording engineer and audio equipment), and new animated footage, to complete the missing segments, was released as a digital download; DVD and Blu-Ray releases are scheduled to follow on 4 December 2017 in Region 2. The new sequences are animated by the same team that undertook the 2016 animated edition of the 1966 serial The Power of the Daleks.

A 2-disc region 1 DVD release was originally set to be available on 9 January 2018 in Region 1; this was later postponed in the U.S., but the release will still go ahead in Canada on the same date. The serial will be released on 10 January 2018 in Region 4.

So according to the above, Region 2 (Europe, Middle East, parts of Asia, and many more areas) already have the DVD release as of 4 December. Since Canada and the US are Region 1, I guess if anyone in the US doesn't feel like waiting until the US release :-\, we can always source it from Amazon Canada.

Sources for the above:
McEwan, Cameron (10 October 2017). "UNFINISHED FOURTH DOCTOR CLASSIC 'SHADA' TO BE FINALLY COMPLETED!"

Radio Times (10 October 2017). "BBC regenerates 'lost' Tom Baker Doctor Who story Shada"

Lambert, David (27 November 2017). "Doctor Who - We've Waited This Long For 'Shada,' So What's Another...YEAR?!?!?!?!?"

Amazon.Canada (3 December 2017). "Doctor Who: Shada - Amazon.ca"

(From JB Hi-Fi) Doctor Who (4 December 2017). "Doctor Who - Shada".
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Yep. I have both the DVD and Bluray editions.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Davros Skaro

Just after posting my question I googled it for Australia, & it comes out here on the 10th January 2018.
thanks for the info though people!  :)

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2017, 10:03 pm #19 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 10:10 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 14, 2017, 06:27 am
Yep. I have both the DVD and Bluray editions.

Marc, please do a brief review for us after watching both versions? Just things like any noticeable difference in quality, difference in what's included in the Special Features. I know sometimes there is a difference in what's on one version, which is probably a marketing ploy to get people to buy both so they can get those "extra" extras.

It also makes me wonder why the US release has been pushed back so far. Is our version going to differ from the Region 1 released in Canada? (I know the BBC, and ITC and ITV, have done that with other shows - giving us "Yanks" a show with some scenes missing, or dialogue changed, or other such edits "suitable" for us as if we're morons... which I admit a lot of us are... but we are the morons buying their products, so why change it like that because it's going to the US?)

Seriously, so many new UK shows I hear about (new to me, but have been around for a while), I look them up (usually finding info on Wikipedia), and it lists the differences between the UK and US DVD releases: scene changes, different lines here and there, special features omitted... almost like they made a second taping just for us "stupidheads". Not that it makes me feel like that when I read it, but it makes me feel like that when I read it.

So a brief review of the differences in the Blu-Ray and DVD versions would he helpful, for a start. (I'll ask one of our Canadian brethren what their Region 1 release is like once we get the US Region 1 release, so see if there are major differences like those mentioned for other shows.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

I'm pretty sure both versions are the same - what I'm most curious about is if the titles video is higher quality.

Will have a look next week....(I'm away this weekend).

I'm mostly disappointed that there's no new docs or expanded photo gallery :/

The "reconstruction" is great though. Really enjoyed it at the BFI. Shame Tom's messages to us weren't included on the discs either :/
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2017, 11:45 pm #21 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 11:52 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 pm
The "reconstruction" is great though. Really enjoyed it at the BFI. Shame Tom's messages to us weren't included on the discs either :/

Is there a vid link to that message anywhere? It sounds like something that should have been included on the discs... possible even after the end credits finished - like an "end teaser" you get with some programs or films (mostly done, I think, to make sure people don't walk out as soon as the credits start rolling; I've known people that went back to see those films again just to sit through those end credits and catch that "end teaser").

I actually watch those end credits. You'd be surprised what you'll see in some of them. Like the character Keenser from the rebooted 'Trek' films (with Simon Pegg as a great Scotty). Keenser is played by Deep Roy - Mr. Sin from "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang". I never would have noticed that had I not been sitting there reading the credits while everyone else walked out! (Can we count how many 'Doctor Who' alumni are appearing in these new 'Trek' films? We've got Simon Pegg, the editor on Satellite Five in "The Long Game", as Scotty; we've got Deep Roy as Keenser (Classic and New Series alums); then we had Noel Clarke ("Mickey the idiot") as the bomber in "ST: Into Darkness". Now I have to figure out if there are any in "ST: Beyond". Anyone know of more I might have missed?)

And the latest "Ghostbusters" outing had one of those end teasers after the credits finished. Faded in from black, the Ghostbusters are in their new lair reviewing some new evidence they've captured, and Patty Tolan (actress Leslie Jones) stops the recording she's listening to, looks at the others and asks, "What's Zuul?" - a reference to Zuul who possessed Dana Barrett (actress Sigourney Weaver) in the original "Ghostbusters" film.

Always stay for the credits!

Dino.

Davros Skaro

any "Easter eggs"? They could have something.

Chris.
Chris.

Davros Skaro

Jan 09, 2018, 10:08 pm #23 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2018, 08:21 am by Davros Skaro
Just an update, I got my copy from the store yesterday (9/1/18) & watched it last night, was very well done, but they did change a few things, compared to what they did on other DVD version that they did, with Tom telling the missing bits to you (having watched that one about 3 - 4 weeks ago). We really enjoyed the episode, it filled in the blanks nicely.

Chris.

Edit: (11/01/18) Have watched it twice more since posting this & taking a "Proper" look at the "animation" & have come to the conclusion that it isn't as good as one would have hoped. I thing it was the thrill of being able to see it complete that I didn't look at the animation properly, it was only after watching it for the 3rd time that I took notice of it. The extra disc has a lot on it too so I won't spoil that for anyone at this time, but well worth watching it. Will take some screen shots of some things as there are some interesting Props on it, once I can get it away from the wife & into my computer, sh loves it, (the story that is) LMSO.

Chris.
Chris.