Apr 27, 2024, 12:42 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Shada Modelwork and Craftsmen all.

Started by tony farrell, Dec 10, 2017, 12:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Dec 10, 2017, 12:20 am Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 12:23 am by Tony Farrell
Huge congratulations are due to both Jonathan/Markofrani and Mark Barton Hill/Timerotor for their work on the new release of Shada.

Jonathan has created a superb model of the Newbery version of the Tardis while - after a long period at the DWE - Mark's excellent console and Tardis interior have once more been used in a little programme some of us might have heard of:

Markofrani Tardis.jpg
Markofrani Tardis 2.jpg
Timerotor.jpg
Timerotor 2.jpg

And, according to this video, we now have Mark finally telling us which controls on his console are actually TV-used originals (though technically speaking, they all are now ;)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=WDLbQllhG9g

I also have a sneaking suspicion that at least two of our members' work will play a part in a certain up-coming programme which will be transmitted at 5.30 PM on Christmas Day! Shush, spoilers!! :)

T

thecloisterbell

Dec 10, 2017, 02:17 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 01:01 pm by thecloisterbell
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 10, 2017, 12:20 am

I also have a sneaking suspicion that at least two of our members' work will play a part in a certain up-coming programme which will be transmitted at 5.30 PM on Christmas Day! Shush, spoilers!! :)

T

Oh good Lord, you tease us Tony.

Even still, congratulations to Markofrani and Timerotor on their success!

Angelus Lupus

Dec 10, 2017, 12:06 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 12:07 pm by Angelus Lupus
Nice model!* It's cool to see them re-creating the effects the way they would have originally. Although, what with the sideburns and the Pink Floyd t-shirt, I'd be hard pushed to know that wasn't a behind-the-scenes shot from the 70's!  ;D

*Yes, I can appreciate the model quality, even if the blue light bugs me!  :P
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

Oh my!
I love those pics!
Well done guys...

(I'm loving that pic of Tom in his full regalia!!)

:o ;D

Can't wait to see the release of Shada with the animated inserts, after so many different versions of Shada, this should be the definite article,
so to speak!!

Russell

Rassilons Rod

Dec 10, 2017, 01:01 pm #4 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 01:03 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 10, 2017, 12:20 am
Markofrani Tardis 2.jpg

Oh! Wow! When I spoke, about this TARDIS, with Mike at the BFI (I've known Mike for about 15 years, since I worked at the BBC. Lovely chap!), I had no idea he was talking about our very own Mark of Rani!!! :D

He did say to me that Charles Norton had SPECIFICALLY requested to get one of Jonathan's :)

As an aside, anyone familiar with Pink Floyd will know that the T-Shirt is actually very appropriate to Doctor Who, not just period accurate.

Because: you can hear both the melody and the rhythm of the theme tune in the song "One of these Days"

And also the melody briefly appears in the song "Sheep" :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

HA!  Such a simple trick.  I'm embarrassed it never occurred to me.  "Why is the TARDIS upside-down?"  Because it's easier to attach the wire to the bottom and no one thinks to look for the wire coming out the bottom, they're looking at the top in the final film.  Cool. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

warmcanofcoke

Good on you timerotor!  ;D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 11, 2017, 05:12 am #7 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Dec 10, 2017, 12:06 pm
It's cool to see them re-creating the effects the way they would have originally. Although, what with the sideburns and the Pink Floyd t-shirt, I'd be hard pushed to know that wasn't a behind-the-scenes shot from the 70's!  ;D

I love that "old school" look as well. (And I still see people wearing Pink Floyd shirts, and my son wears his sideburns like that! I guess some fashions never go out of style... at least with some people. :D)

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Dec 10, 2017, 12:06 pm
Yes, I can appreciate the model quality, even if the blue light bugs me!  :P

That is a magnificent model. I'd love one like that... but where to put it? I haven't the floorspace, or room area open enough to hang it from the ceiling. :P (And if it's of any comfort, Angelus, this would be/have been the last story to feature that bothersome rotating blue light... and of course, the Newbery in her "current" form.)

Quote from: russellsuthern on Dec 10, 2017, 12:50 pm
(I'm loving that pic of Tom in his full regalia!!)

I think Tom is loving being back in his full regalia! (I wonder if they'll let him keep it as a 'Thank you' gift?)

Can't wait to see the release of Shada with the animated inserts

I think we're all in agreement there, Russell!

after so many different versions of Shada, this should be the definite article,
so to speak!!

Well, if like with the other animated episodes they've done for reconstructions, since they're following the original script for the scenes and dialogue, with all surviving original cast members, I would say there's no "sort of" about it; this will be the definitive article! (And one we've only had to wait... almost 40 years for?)

Quote from: Volpone on Dec 10, 2017, 03:48 pm
HA! Such a simple trick. ... "Why is the TARDIS upside-down?" Because it's easier to attach the wire to the bottom and no one thinks to look for the wire coming out the bottom, they're looking at the top in the final film.

You're not alone there, Steve! This never occurred to me either! (Do you know how many times I strained my eyes trying to see how they hung their TARDIS model for all of those scenes with the Old Girl spinning through space?)

Duh. Now I know why I never saw it. :-[ (And yes; next time I'm watching one of those DVDs, I will be looking at the bottom for even the slightest glimmer of a wire!)

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Dec 11, 2017, 01:31 am
Good on you timerotor!  ;D

Ditto... for everyone involved! Bravo!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

karsthotep

whooohoo TimeRotor,  you  have helped me out more than once and I appreciate it.  This is a great honor,  glad you are part of this forum. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

andrewkent

Absolutely brilliant! Loved seeing this console room at The Experience, and so pleased it's been used in Shada.

And from the video you posted Tony, it's possible that there are two original controls surviving from the Brachaki console.  Timerotor points out two controls, on the panel two to the left of the one with the red door control, that are original - a silver handle control and the black wheel that comes off. 

What do you think Tony, original to the Sharpe & possibly the Brachaki?  We can't prove it, but is it possible to get that connection back to 1963?

And as it's my birthday on Christmas Day Tony, any chance of a fab present - The Sharpe Plans ?!!!! :D

tony farrell

Dec 11, 2017, 08:28 pm #10 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 08:28 pm by Tony Farrell
Hi Andrew,

With regards to the main (curved top) levers, Mark may (or may not) wish to comment but, in my opinion, the one with the 45 degree edges (as opposed to the ones with the quarter-round edges) is indeed an original Brachacki lever.

The 'handle' lever Mark is seen to (erm) handle appears to match those used on the Sharp Console. If so, then this hails from 1971.

Mark states that the 'removable dial' is genuine. I have no reason to doubt him but it doesn't appear to have the numerical graduations around its bezel which were present on the version used by Jon Pertwee. This perceived absence may be due to the definition in the video clip or it may be that this dial was replaced with a near-identical one at some point during the Baker/Davison era.

mark's controls.png

As regards the plans, as Mr White will tell you, these are well underway. If you message me, and you ask me nicely ( ;)), I might be able to arrange a small Chrimbo/birthday present for you!

T

galacticprobe

Dec 11, 2017, 09:12 pm #11 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 09:19 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 11, 2017, 08:28 pm
Mark states that the 'removable dial' is genuine. I have no reason to doubt him but it doesn't appear to have the numerical graduations around its bezel which were present on the version used by Jon Pertwee. This perceived absence may be due to the definition in the video clip or it may be that this dial was replaced with a near-identical one at some point during the Baker/Davison era.

There is another possibility, one I've seen with dials/knobs like this on equipment I've worked on (as well as on stovetops and ovens, and gear knobs), is that after all this time of handling, wear-and-tear, those numerical graduations have been worn off, or worn down if they were etched into the knob, by the friction of hands rubbing on the knobs, at least to the point where they couldn't be picked up by the camera. After all, this is a possible 46-year-old knob, and I'm sure it's had lots of handling and cleaning over the decades, and who knows how much cleaning it might have needed to get it ready for the DWE? Just that cleaning along could have worn off some or all of the graduations.

I've seen some knobs like that where all markings were worn completely away because of handling and cleaning. I'm sure the console and controls were cleaned off, especially after the between-seasons' breaks, and over the course of time someone with a heavy hand could have rubbed the graduations away. (Again I've seen this on both equipment I've worked on, and on home cooking appliances' knobs, sometimes even with knobs that weren't very old at all. (As the saying goes... "If I had a dollar for every time someone working for me called me over, pointed to a blank knob and said 'Chief, I was cleaning the faceplate and those markings on the knob(s) smeared away'...")

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 11, 2017, 08:28 pm
I have no reason to doubt him but it doesn't appear to have the numerical graduations around its bezel which were present on the version used by Jon Pertwee. This perceived absence may be due to the definition in the video clip or it may be that this dial was replaced with a near-identical one at some point during the Baker/Davison era.

Very possible. Images of this are quite rare in its life later on!

sharp8.jpg
Regards
David

warmcanofcoke

These posts are too important a reference to let fall by the wayside. Future generations must know. I declare it reference material. So it is written. So shall it be done.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2017, 05:01 am #14 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 05:05 am by galacticprobe
Well said, Nate, and you're absolutely right! Nice move of this to the Reference Section. And looking back at this thread it makes me wonder how many people will notice the discontinuity in the console between the original "Shada" configuration, and the configuration she had in the late-Davison days of her life (which is how she appeared at the DWE) when the restored/ completed "Shada" story is released... depending on how much footage of the current restored console there is in the completed story.

Dino.