Mobius's Baroque Victorian French Steampunk Art-Nouveau Closet Tardis Build

Started by mobius, May 30, 2016, 04:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mobius

Hullo. I spent about 2.25 years working on this build, on and off, mostly off I suppose, (not counting the fact that it's 4 years from when I posted my intent to build in on this site, before I finished it, had a delay getting started!)  it's finally very near completion, and will be done quite soon, so I thought it was time to start this gallery. I've worked very hard on this box, as you can see in the build journal (link: ) hope you enjoy it, I'll try to get some really good photos up soon. Also a little video tour, as it's hard to capture certain aspects in still photos due to the angled ceiling next to it, and the fact that it is actually larger on the inside.
  I've wanted one of these for about 40 of your "Earth years" since I first saw Pertwee, and now I finally have one. this one is based on a reimagining, what if a call box was made in the 1800's, or some reimagined Steampunky 1800s, roughly, and I guess, in cooperation with France. I always loved the Metro logo they have, and as its a metropolitan police public call box, at some point I thought, why not a "metropolitain" one instead? except on the right side, I didn't want another Metro sign, so I made that one more British. it's eclectic, like me.
  It was very important to me that it not just be a closet because with doors that open inwards, that's not a lot of storage space, and I wasn't having them open outwards, thankfully I managed to pull it off. originally it was going to be in the corner of my kitchen, and once inside you could take a right into the pantry, or continue straight ahead into my bedroom, but before I could get started, life took an unexpected turn and I had to move. fortunately, although the ceiling is lower in my bedroom than it was in my old kitchen, I have a walk-in closet I was able to stick this in front of, as the door swung outwards before, making the space in front of it useless, as it had to be kept clear, and since the doors now open inwards, it technically takes up almost no space in the room, despite its considerable size. it does look larger with people in the pictures, than on its own, as you will eventually see.

much thanks to those who have cheered me on here, your support has meant a lot! stand by for more pictures in the not too distant future!

metro 1 tb.jpg
It's always a matter of time...

galacticprobe

I love it when the beauty shots come together!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

More pics please!
I can't get enough of this one!

Russell

mobius

More photos, yay! took some of these with my camera, some with my phone, each has their strengths.

20160529_224234.jpg 20160529_224636.jpg 20160529_224727.jpg 20160529_224802.jpg 20160529_224950.jpg 20160529_225358.jpg 20160529_225457.jpg 20160529_225652.jpg 20160529_225806.jpg 20160529_230311_LLS.jpg 20160529_230554_LLS.jpg 20160529_231021.jpg 20160529_231145.jpg 20160529_231514_LLS.jpg 20160529_231701_LLS.jpg 20160529_231807_LLS.jpg 20160530_152451.jpg 20160531_163337.jpg 20160531_163836.jpg
that's all the good recent cell phone pics, camera pics next post! is there a limit? :p

mobius

photos from my camera (not my phone's camera)

DSCF4806.JPG DSCF4785.JPG DSCF4792.JPG DSCF4794.JPG DSCF4798.JPG DSCF4799.JPG DSCF4801.JPG DSCF4803.JPG DSCF4804.JPG DSCF4805.JPG DSCF4807.JPG DSCF4808.JPG DSCF4809.JPG DSCF4811.JPG DSCF4812.JPG DSCF4816.JPG DSCF4818.JPG DSCF4819.JPG DSCF4821.JPG DSCF4822.JPG DSCF4823.JPG DSCF4825.JPG DSCF4826.JPG

I should add some capsule interior shots here I suppose. just a few, next time!

why don't I see this gallery in with the other galleries? @_@

Volpone

A very nice photo album.  In no particular order, I'm surprised by how well the roundels work even having to stop 3/4 of the way up for the windows.  I feared that it would be jarring, but it looks very nice.  The little details like the label on the phone box are neat too--as is the general build.  It is steampunk without being over the top--no goggles on tophats, gauges, or twisty copper pipes.  Finally, for some reason I can't put my finger on, the photos look almost like they are of a miniature--like it is a model in a doll house.  It's very strange.  Anyway, nice build.  Congratulations on seeing it through.  May it bring you years of childish giggles of insane glee.  That is the best part of having a TARDIS--the childish giggles. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

I agree with what volpone said! Amazing build in Steam Punk style without going OTT (Over The Top). I think he gets that "model in a doll house" feeling because of that low, sloped part of your ceiling, and some of the high angle photos that show the top of the roof and the lamp make the Old Girl look like a model-sized build. (Are you sure your Block Transfer Computation for the exterior isn't slipping a little? ;))

I also love the way the blue changes color in some of the photos, from a nice Royal Blue in some to the Pertwee "The Three Doctors" lighter blue in others, all because of camera angles and light source. Now that is a true Chameleon Circuit in action!

Bravo, James!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mobius

Quote from: volpone on Jun 01, 2016, 05:23 am
A very nice photo album.  In no particular order, I'm surprised by how well the roundels work even having to stop 3/4 of the way up for the windows.  I feared that it would be jarring, but it looks very nice.  The little details like the label on the phone box are neat too--as is the general build.  It is steampunk without being over the top--no goggles on tophats, gauges, or twisty copper pipes.  Finally, for some reason I can't put my finger on, the photos look almost like they are of a miniature--like it is a model in a doll house.  It's very strange.  Anyway, nice build.  Congratulations on seeing it through.  May it bring you years of childish giggles of insane glee.  That is the best part of having a TARDIS--the childish giggles. 

thank you kindly, yes, it's only somewhat steampunk really, no unnecessary gears, I do own a top hat, and some goggles, although I bought those before steampunk existed, its more steampunk in the DIY aspect of punk, as well as the Victorian elements of style, I love steampunk (when Goths discovered brown!) but don't like when I see something I recognise from the plumbing aisle at home depot on someone's outfit or ray gun, try harder guys! I see what you mean it does look strangely like a toy somehow, a trick of the light, and angles I guess, a combination of mysterious elements, I couldn't have achieved that effect on purpose if I had tried! on the other hand, it IS actually a toy! haha. a very large one, and as 4 said, "there's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes!"

mobius

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 01, 2016, 06:49 am
...Are you sure your Block Transfer Computation for the exterior isn't slipping a little? ;))...
Dino.

My block transfer calculations are perfect! just like all of my calculations on this build, completely flawless! lol. I have a sign in my workshop that says "measure once, cut twice!" isn't that what Norm Abrams said? something like that, ah well. a place for every thing and every thing in A place.

mobius

Fooling around with LED lighting. no post-production or editing. woo. I haven't put many interior shots in this gallery, but I have nice ones in the build diary, should I, could I put a few of those in here, even if they're the same pic? 
20160606_224521.jpg
20160606_224536.jpg
20160606_224547.jpg