Apr 23, 2024, 06:39 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

RogueTimelord's Sonic Screwdriver MK I

Started by roguetimelord, Sep 18, 2017, 05:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

roguetimelord

This is my first post to this website and also my first build, so hopefully it turns out to be good. I have bought some of the components to this project and I have a concept of what the final product should look like...

Sonic MK I concept.png

Sonic screwdriver concept.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

I like the look of this, an interesting modernization of the classic prop. I'm at a stage now where most of the props I make are my own and not replicas. I think the Doctor would want us to be our own kind of Time Lords so I like to encourage custom builders like yourself. If you get into a fix during the build The14thDr is a very good scratch/custom builder and ideas man.

What's that doohickey you're using for the pommel/bottom piece?

For sound effects could you fit a Build Your Own Sonic core into the inside?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

Good luck on the emitter.  I made one, lost it, and started on a second before finding the first back and eventually just giving up and buying the toy and customizing it a bit. 

I took a conventional cheap flashlight and cut the back off the lens housing.  There's a kind of ring there that the batteries push into.  Then I took...the cap off a pen? and cut that down for the center part.  Then I drilled holes and used the neon green plastic filament from my string trimmer (weed whacker) for the struts, leaving one long, that I pushed down into the sonic's body (which was itself a kind of flashlight with modifications.  The theory was, I could light up the flashlight and the light would travel up the filament and light up the emitter.  In practice it *kind* of worked. 

Anyway, like I said, the emitter slid out of the hole it fitted into and I lost it, so I started on a a Mk II emitter, where I was going to use the hilts of those little plastic swords for cocktail garnishes, but it was a pain in the butt to get them to hold together and be strong enough to carry around, so I eventually just bought a toy.  Amazingly, I did find the original emitter back while mowing my lawn and I've got my custom sonic laying around here somewhere.  Heh.  I guess I should put it in the pencil cup on my desk. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

roguetimelord

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Sep 19, 2017, 12:07 pm
I like the look of this, an interesting modernization of the classic prop. I'm at a stage now where most of the props I make are my own and not replicas. I think the Doctor would want us to be our own kind of Time Lords so I like to encourage custom builders like yourself. If you get into a fix during the build The14thDr is a very good scratch/custom builder and ideas man.

What's that doohickey you're using for the pommel/bottom piece?

For sound effects could you fit a Build Your Own Sonic core into the inside?

Thank you, I think I will be doing a lot of custom builds in future. And I'll take a look through for inspiration haha.
The piece I'm using for the end piece is called a "15mm-10mm Straight" For central heating or hot/cold water made by JG Speedfit. I picked it up in B&Q.
Also I could try that, but I'm likely to glue the pieces together, and I think I'll keep the personalised sonic core just in case I want it in a special sonic project maybe?

Thank you for the feedback though!  ;D

roguetimelord

Sep 19, 2017, 09:24 pm #4 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2017, 11:43 am by roguetimelord
Quote from: Volpone on Sep 19, 2017, 01:20 pm
Good luck on the emitter.  I made one, lost it, and started on a second before finding the first back and eventually just giving up and buying the toy and customizing it a bit.  

Thank you, hopefully I can find the right piece to resemble the emitter and it will turn out to work well. Thanks for the advice haha

roguetimelord

So I got some parts (possibly for future projects) and some PVC pipe that will hold the components together.

Also I started to spray paint the necessary parts and then I can start putting the pieces together.

20180106_153623.jpg

roguetimelord

Jan 28, 2018, 04:41 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2018, 04:44 pm by roguetimelord
Update: I finally found a suitable emitter! I used the plastic structure in the center of a roll of tape.

I'm going to paint it silver then black, then weather it slightly.

I've decided to make the sonic look kinda weathered in places, to show how used it is, and show some damage.

Here's the piece:
20180128_123507.jpg

20180128_123515.jpg

roguetimelord

Jan 28, 2018, 08:38 pm #7 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2018, 08:39 pm by roguetimelord
Well, I've laid out the painted components that will make up the sonic and soon I'll cut the pipe for the middle and glue it all together!

Sonic WIP 1.jpg

More updates soon, its in the final stages, which I'm really happy about

Volpone

It's funny, how perception alters things.  When I saw you were using a tape dispenser roll for your emitter housing I was like "that's going to be way too large."  So I was shocked by the photo on the keyboard.  Then I looked at the tape roll on my desk.  They're a lot smaller without all the tape on them. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

roguetimelord

Haha well fortunately the roll fits rather well, it was a smaller tape roll than the average.
I had to rip off all the tape frantically because I wasn't going to wait until the tape was finished  ;D

roguetimelord

Jan 31, 2018, 10:11 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2018, 12:29 am by roguetimelord
Here's a little work-in-progress picture:

Sonic WIP (3).jpg

However, construction is complete! Well, apart from a few touch-ups, like re-painting a few bits and adding small details. But the main kind of structure is done! I'm pretty happy with it, it looks pretty large, but I think that's not too bad for a first try.

Here's the (Kinda) finished product:

Sonic WIP (4).jpg

Sonic WIP (5).jpg

And finally, a size comparison between some sonics:

Sonic comparison.jpg

Davros Skaro

Wow, you've done a great job on that, well done, looks good.  :)

Chris.
Chris.

roguetimelord

robajob

Great looking Sonic you have created, definitely like the used look you went with, makes it look more legit!
It sounds like you have got the Sonic building bug, it's a bit like Pringles, once you pop......

Will look forward to seeing more of your efforts!!

galacticprobe

Feb 01, 2018, 04:56 am #14 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018, 04:56 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: robajob on Feb 01, 2018, 01:29 am
Great looking Sonic you have created...
It sounds like you have got the Sonic building bug, it's a bit like Pringles, once you pop......

Spoken like a true "Sonic Junkie", Rob! (And I resemble that remark!)

Quote from: robajob on Feb 01, 2018, 01:29 am
Will look forward to seeing more of your efforts!!

And all of the above goes for me, too, rogue!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"