News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Pebbled Glass/Hens Teeth

Started by pod, Feb 11, 2009, 06:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

Feb 11, 2009, 06:13 am Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:20 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi guys,
just a quick comment/question regarding genuine pebbled glass. As I've recently mentioned elswhere, I spent some time this past week searching for genuine pebbled glass, as the stuff I initially used in my build was always on a "it'll do til I find some real stuff" basis. Then I was lucky enough to find a small ancient pane in the back room of a glass merchant near where I live, although it was only enough to do 8 panels, so I was spurred on to find the rest ...
Anyway, long story short, after what seemed like endless trawling through glass shops/wreckers/tips I found an old door with a pebbled pane which was just enough to do the whole box, so woo-hoo there, but it took forever and was a miracle I found any at all.

But my point is, this stuff seems to have been discontinued years ago and is, certainly around here, at least, impossible to find. Of course, this means that if you are lucky enough to have some of this stuff (and a genuine fresnel, come to that), it makes your TARDIS an even more precious artifact than it already is, but has anyone else had these types of sourcing problems? Every glass merchant I spoke to said that they'd never even seen anything like it, let alone had any. Maybe it was originally a UK design to begin with?
If you have any of this in your windows, go and gaze at them smugly, and count yourself very, very lucky! :)

Doctor Iz

Mar 28, 2009, 05:04 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:40 am by scarfwearer
Crispin - thanks for the photos... I wasn't exactly sure on the differences between the two.  It looks like the Pebbled glass is far harder to come by. 

Darksyde - nice find there.  The warner company is in my state of PA.  I might buy a few sheets and try them in my TARDIS to add that authentic effect...  Nice fine mate and thanks!

cheers, Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

celation

Feb 11, 2009, 02:11 pm #2 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 pm by scarfwearer
I was actually after some in amber/yellow for a door in my house.

No chance. Closest I could get was English Muffle - which isn't close at all.

Seems mad that they don't make it any more...

C.

Rassilons Rod

Feb 11, 2009, 03:07 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 pm by scarfwearer
Does it have the same effect on sunlight as those bullseye windows in pubs?

I'm sure they were stopped for fire safety reasons...

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

pod

Feb 12, 2009, 07:04 pm #4 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 pm by scarfwearer
Fair point there Marc ... I've never looked for that bullseye pub glass but I bet that stuff's pretty rare too!

Darksyde

Feb 20, 2009, 05:42 am #5 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 pm by scarfwearer
Not sure if this will help but if you haven't you might look into art glass. The older styles some times slip into more of an artsy thing. I found a web site with quite a few sheets of 'Architectural' glass that has some dimpled/stippled pains that look similar to my eye.

Pages 5 and 6 look the closest and I haven't looked at any of the other catagories either.

http://www.dlstainedglass.com/Results.cfm?CatID=47

If this helps I'm sure you can find some more local Art/Craft Glass supplyers.

Rox

Feb 28, 2009, 07:27 pm #6 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:13 pm by scarfwearer
I am really sorry...  :(

An outbuilding here collapsed under the weight of the snow sliding off of a barn roof onto the building.

And what do I find in the rubble but a broken piece of original pebble glass.  As soon as I saw it, I thought of you guys searching tirelessly.

Sadly (or luckily) depending on your point of view, it wasn't big enough for a whole TARDIS, but it was so sad to see it in pieces.

If I find anymore around, I'll certainly let you all know...
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

TG

Mar 01, 2009, 08:36 am #7 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:13 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rox board=manual thread=1074 post=19736 time=1235849227I am really sorry...  :(

An outbuilding here collapsed under the weight of the snow sliding off of a barn roof onto the building.

And what do I find in the rubble but a broken piece of original pebble glass.  As soon as I saw it, I thought of you guys searching tirelessly.

Sadly (or luckily) depending on your point of view, it wasn't big enough for a whole TARDIS, but it was so sad to see it in pieces.

If I find anymore around, I'll certainly let you all know...

OH no, broken! Well keep searching Rox (much safer than searching for ribbed balls I'd hope  ;))

We did have a thread about pebbled glass but I can't find it  :-/
Anyway, I bought mine here:
http://www.antiqueglassstudio.co.uk
They list it as hammered glass in their glass matching page
Unfortunately I don't know if they still have any but might be worth a try.
This is mine...
pebbled2.jpg
pebbled.jpg
TG

dalethetimelord

Mar 01, 2009, 08:43 am #8 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:14 pm by scarfwearer
I found mine by seaching at salvage yards (some but not much) and ultimately found enough at a second-hand windows store and they cut it to size for me.  No-one in retail was any use though all citing it as long discontinued.

A few people have created rubber moulds and made reisn copieso f pebbled panes - does this work well overall, is it easy enough that it could be used by one generous soul to produce panes for TARDIS builders if sold at cost?

Just thinking out loud... (in type)

- glen

atomicgraph

Mar 01, 2009, 12:42 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:19 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: dalethetimelord board=manual thread=1074 post=19741 time=1235897011I found mine by seaching at salvage yards (some but not much) and ultimately found enough at a second-hand windows store and they cut it to size for me.  No-one in retail was any use though all citing it as long discontinued.

A few people have created rubber moulds and made reisn copieso f pebbled panes - does this work well overall, is it easy enough that it could be used by one generous soul to produce panes for TARDIS builders if sold at cost?

Just thinking out loud... (in type)

- glen
thats what i did i still have the mould.... however my build is a bit scaled down so my panes would probably be to small for general production for the builds on here

Scarfwearer

Mar 02, 2009, 10:39 am #10 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 12:03 am by Scarfwearer
Quote from: timegirl board=manual thread=1074 post=19740 time=1235896590
We did have a thread about pebbled glass but I can't find it  :-/

It's here:
Pebbled Glass thread

Crispin

Darksyde

Mar 04, 2009, 12:15 am #11 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:14 pm by scarfwearer
I think I could mold some up but the acrylic I use that cures hard will yellow over time so I don't know how long it's out door life expectancy is. It is pretty workable though so in theory if I had the largest pane size any one would need one could cut it down to fit. Not totally sure how much they'd cost either. You need what, 8? or more depending on disired end result.

I've also only found once place for the pebbled look that is pictured in this thread by Timegirl but the're inst realy a size referance so I don't know if the pebbleing effect is too small or not.

http://www.americanstainedglasscompany.com/glass/kokomo/clear.htm

scroll down a bit to 33H

atomicgraph

Mar 04, 2009, 04:28 am #12 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:14 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: darksyde board=manual thread=1074 post=19798 time=1236125708I think I could mold some up but the acrylic I use that cures hard will yellow over time so I don't know how long it's out door life expectancy is. It is pretty workable though so in theory if I had the largest pane size any one would need one could cut it down to fit. Not totally sure how much they'd cost either. You need what, 8? or more depending on disired end result.

I've also only found once place for the pebbled look that is pictured in this thread by Timegirl but the're inst realy a size referance so I don't know if the pebbleing effect is too small or not.

http://www.americanstainedglasscompany.com/glass/kokomo/clear.htm

scroll down a bit to 33H
from a lot of the screen grabs (and also the codstakes model) i've seen the pebble glass does have a yellowish tint to it. i think it was referred to as "straw colored" and i went with the "amber tinted pebble glass" for my build .... it gives it a very tardisy feel i think.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 04, 2009, 04:28 am #13 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:15 pm by scarfwearer
Whats the Iridized stuff?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Darksyde

Mar 04, 2009, 08:07 am #14 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 10:15 pm by scarfwearer
No idea. I looked into it a little but as far as I can tell it's a more sparkley/pearlesent version.