Apr 19, 2024, 08:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Windows anyone?

Started by robm, Jul 11, 2006, 11:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

robm

Jul 11, 2006, 11:50 am Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:16 pm by Scarfwearer
I Have just put together my TPE build ( eventually) and although i am very pleased with it, i just wondered if anyone could advise me on suitable windows preferably in perspex, as the ones i got with it are ok but......... ;)
"Geronimo"

Mark

Dec 01, 2006, 12:52 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:33 am by scarfwearer
As Dale said, the Crich box has the pebbles facing outermost, but it would make more sense (particularly if your box is to live outdoors) to have the pebbles innermost to cut down on grime as mentioned by Ironageman.

As for sourcing this stuff, I got mine from an old factory/warehouse. The panes are quite large but were pretty easy to remove due to the brittleness of the aged putty.

All I did was ask the foreman if I could swap the pebbled glass for new clear stuff, and he said "Yes"!

mantamatt

Jul 11, 2006, 04:44 pm #2 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:14 pm by scarfwearer
Hi, I had  a TPE too and have changed my windows.  I remember the perspex they put in there wasn't that great.

What you really want is some pebbled glass. A while ago there was much discussion about sourcing pebbled glass on the following thread you can read all about it. I couldn't get enough and so ended up casting some of my own, which is also discussed on this thread.

http://tardisboard.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=build&action=display&thread=1120493335

Any pictures? I'd like to see what it looks like.

thecontractor5

Jul 11, 2006, 07:18 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:14 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks alot Mantawrays, as soon as i get a chance i will post a couple ;)

crumblefiend

Nov 04, 2006, 06:06 pm #4 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:14 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, its a dumb one but I'm hoping that someone will reply. Pebbled glass has a flat side and a textured 'raised dimple' side. Which goes on the outside on a Tardis/Police Box? I thought that the flat side would go on the outside for ease of fitting but looking at some pictures of the original 1963 Tardis it almost looks as if the textured side is on the outside. Does anyone know?

Mike

dalethetimelord

Nov 05, 2006, 12:16 pm #5 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:15 pm by scarfwearer
the Crich real Police Box used to have pebbled facing outward, but the BBC 80s TARDIS (the old one still in London) had them facing inward... your choice I suppose! Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!

crumblefiend

Nov 06, 2006, 12:08 am #6 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:15 pm by scarfwearer
thank you Dale! I think I may go for the outward facing met box look.

Mike

ironageman

Nov 06, 2006, 08:18 pm #7 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:15 pm by scarfwearer
Then again... pebble glass usually used to be fitted to buildings smooth-side out, as that side holds less dirt, so perhaps the Crich box is anomalous. (Just to put a cat among the pigeons. Well, not exactly a cat, more a kitten really.)

EDIT: On the other hand - I've just looked at my front door, with its (probably) early-20th-century pebble glass smooth side in!
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

armadillozenith

Nov 07, 2006, 02:47 pm #8 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: thecontractor5 board=faq thread=1152618609 post=1152618609i just wondered if anyone could advise me on suitable windows preferably in perspex

You can get pebbled perspex (or similar plastic). I found a nice big (6'x3') leftover bit in a skip on Sunday!

Lucky me  ;D

It's not quite as 'dimply' as the glass panes though. I thought of using some for my Eccleston/Tennant console panels.

thecontractor5

Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 05:16 pm by scarfwearer
I Dont know if anyone is interested but i have recently discovered a local(ish) Glazing company that has a good supply of Hammered effect Glass at stupidly resonable prices, i bought 30 peices (cut to size) a tube of silicon sealent and a Gun ( for the sealent,not a post office job) for just under £60:00, if you want to get in touch with them, drop them a line at
                        enquires@armadaglass.co.uk
or give them a call on Saltash 01752 849084, and ask for Mark,
                              Tell 'em Rob sent you  ;D

cathlyn847

Quote from: thecontractor5 on Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 pm
I Dont know if anyone is interested but i have recently discovered a local(ish) Glazing company that has a good supply of Hammered effect Glass at stupidly resonable prices, i bought 30 peices (cut to size) a tube of silicon sealent and a Gun ( for the sealent,not a post office job) for just under £60:00, if you want to get in touch with them, drop them a line at

This post is several years old...anyone know if the contact is still good?
What would the Doctor do?

Scarfwearer

'thecontractor5' is [ref url=index.php?action=profile;u=195]RobM[/ref], who's the topic starter. He hasn't logged in for a few weeks (so hasn't taken ownership of these posts), so if you're in a hurry, I'd suggest PMing him.

Crispin

cathlyn847

Quote from: cathlyn847 on Apr 22, 2010, 09:10 pm
Quote from: thecontractor5 on Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 pm
I Don't know if anyone is interested but i have recently discovered a local(ish) Glazing company that has a good supply of Hammered effect Glass at stupidly reasonable prices, i bought 30 pieces (cut to size) a tube of silicon sealent and a Gun ( for the sealent,not a post office job) for just under £60:00, if you want to get in touch with them, drop them a line at

This post is several years old...anyone know if the contact is still good?

As of June 2010 the company is still in business www.armadaglass.co.uk however...I used their search engine and got zero results for "Pebbled" or "Hammered" glass there.
BUT a simple Google search brought this site:
http://www.wgsonline.com/glazing/depe.html
I would love to hear what the experts think...Is there a good match for TB?
What would the Doctor do?

mordrogyn

WG55 is a fair match for pebbled glass, though not a great one.
Hammered glass is a different breed and is what was used on the TV movie box, that one is WG88 and is incorrectly named as pebbled
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

galacticprobe

Jun 06, 2010, 02:14 pm #14 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2010, 02:24 pm by galacticprobe
What does everyone think about the WG145 for pebbled glass?

http://www.wgsonline.com/glass/WG145.html

It looks a little more "pebbled" than the WG55 does (at least to my weird eyes). And I agree with mordrogyn; that WG88 is definitely more like the hammered glass used in the '96 Movie TARDIS.

http://www.wgsonline.com/glass/WG88.html

(And I can't remember now... has that "hammered" style of glass been used on any other of the TARDISes? Or have all but the Movie version used strictly pebbled glass?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"