Mar 29, 2024, 05:07 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Looping Tardis Landing in Curse of Peladon

Started by Sofia Fox, Sep 30, 2017, 01:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofia Fox

Sep 30, 2017, 01:35 am Last Edit: Sep 30, 2017, 01:38 am by TigerMan
I thought it was odd in 'The Curse of Peladon' in the 'TARDIS falling down a mountain' scene where the model TARDIS lands and fades to the time rotor in motion that it was looping! I thought it was odd so I posted it here. Mods can move it if needed.
Here's a clip from that:

If anyone can elaborate on the fact they did this then thanks
See you next post!
Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

troughtonstrousers

That makes no sense the TARDIS lands on a loop that's true why pfft who knows then it cuts to the console room then they leave then it falls so not quite sure what your asking unless I'm being really dumb
TT

tony farrell

Sep 30, 2017, 12:19 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2017, 12:20 pm by Tony Farrell
I think what Tigerman means is that as soon as the Tardis' materialisation sequence is complete, the central column normally comes to a rest. In the Peladon landing, the Tardis has ostensibly materialised on Mount Megeshra but, the central column is still seen to rise and fall for a few seconds when the camera cuts to the ship's interior.

I can only think that the director (Lennie Mayne) decided that the column continuing to rise and fall would make an interesting introductory 'tracking shot' and allow Jon Pertwee to be seen 'powering the Tardis down' after it has landed. (Jon Pertwee was notoriously fond of gadgetry and he - and Roger Delgado - always operated their respective Tardises using the same controls in the same sequence.)

If you want to have a fictional explanation, this may be due to the Time Lords remotely controlling the Tardis' destination and the 'time lag' between the actual landing and the 'powering-down' is due to distance in time and space from Gallifrey to Peladon!  ;)

T

troughtonstrousers

Sounds like they were trying to mimic the old rotor from Hartnell and Troughton era as the console was new probably trying new things
TT

galacticprobe

Sep 30, 2017, 03:19 pm #4 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2017, 03:19 pm by galacticprobe
I think Tony's nailed this explanation, in both "real-life" and "Whoniverse" worlds. The Materialization sound looping probably goes along with what Tony explained as in both cases, it would look (and sound) very odd to have things go quiet while the roof light was still flashing and the column was still in motion.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 30, 2017, 03:19 pm
it would look (and sound) very odd to have things go quiet while the roof light was still flashing and the column was still in motion.

Wouldn't be the first time ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

By "looping" I thought you meant they repeated the footage back and forth :D
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Oct 01, 2017, 04:35 pm #7 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2017, 04:46 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Sep 30, 2017, 05:28 pm
Wouldn't be the first time ;)

Certainly wasn't the last time! I remember Ep 4 of "Resurrection Of The Daleks" airing with no sound FX at all. It was very strange to watch something like that. Objects in a transmat silently appearing or disappearing; guns firing with just a click of the trigger to activate the light, and people falling dead with no 'thwumph' sound from the gun; even at the end the TARDIS interior had no sound FX either when stationary or in flight, which did give a good indication of what the central column actually sounded like when it moved.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"