Apr 24, 2024, 03:06 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bradley Console room Twice upon a Time

Started by nebula1253, Jul 26, 2017, 06:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vale

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Dec 20, 2017, 07:39 am
Bradley moved the other controls off camera...  ;)

Does anyone else remember Issue 79 of DWM? They had a section on the TARDIS controls (as set out in the Hartnell configuration) explaining what they did and how they were supposed to be used.

Proven to be complete tosh, of course, once the VHS and subsequent DVD's came out; however the DWM control sequence all made a sort of logical sense to me.

The classic DWM plans highlight this lever as the dematerialisation switch:

maxresdefault.jpg

Interestingly, those "Bernard Wilkie" levers aren't given a function. And half the controls that the DWM plans show on that panel don't seem to actually exist!

fivefingeredstyre

Dec 20, 2017, 08:10 pm #76 Last Edit: Dec 20, 2017, 11:08 pm by fivefingeredstyre
yeah, they did replace the rubber rectangles with a few more details, didn't they. but the general configuration close. Likewise the large meters seem a lot more detailed than the real thing as well :D

I quite liked the way they alleged the coordinate system worked, with the bank of six switches being used as binary selectors to represent the coordinate number, which was then locked into place using the piano key switches (or Coordinate programmer as DWNM called it) immediately underneath. It seemed to make sense to me back in an analogue age... :D

galacticprobe

Dec 21, 2017, 05:32 am #77 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2017, 05:41 am by galacticprobe
Does anyone else remember Issue 79 of DWM? They had a section on the TARDIS controls (as set out in the Hartnell configuration) explaining what they did and how they were supposed to be used.

I remember it well. I still have mine - loved to death and a bit tattered, but still in decent shape.

Proven to be complete tosh, of course, once the VHS and subsequent DVD's came out; however the DWM control sequence all made a sort of logical sense to me.

Yeah, for the longest time they made sense to me, too. (And when you read how they came to their conclusions, "...after extensive study of the first six years(sic) episodes...", it makes sense to anyone reading it. However, they never tell you what they used to make that "extensive study".) It wasn't until, as you say, the DVDs - and this Forum - that we learned things in that article weren't right.

I've the scans on my hard-drive (I'm sure I cleaned them up as well), if anyone's interested I could always start a thread; however we would need to do something about the file size limit...

Quote from: davidnagel on Dec 20, 2017, 08:41 am
Pretty sure some of these are posted elsewhere in the forum. But I have some scans somewhere..

You are correct, David. Those scans are here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2104.0. Clean enough to read them. If you right-click and open them in a new window you can see how large they are. Some of them are dark - not too dark - but if you save them you can adjust the brightness, contrast, gamma correction, to lighten them some without losing the words.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

jontennant

Do we know why it says Bernard Wilkie
Jontennant -  'The Other Doctor'

karsthotep

yes...the bernard wilkie mode is pretty well known.  The TARDIS is able to achieve this, but only when in flight.  You may have heard it mentioned by the 2nd doctor when he says..activate Wilkie mode!!!

:P

Bernard Wilkie was a visual effects designer on the show in the early years.  Its just an homage to his contributions

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Volpone

One of my roles here is to derail threads.  Back when they had the "Star Trek Experience" in Las Vegas, I did it.  It was awesome.  Without going into too much detail, they had a replica of the Next Generation Enterprise that you wind up "transported" onto.  As they hustled us down the corridors from the transporter room to the bridge I stopped to look at some of the text on signs in the hallway.  The one I remember was "You don't jump on Superman's cape or spit into the wind.  You don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Jim."  It was all too small for anyone to see and more interesting than just putting gibberish or technobabble on the signs. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Dec 22, 2017, 06:44 am #81 Last Edit: Dec 22, 2017, 07:00 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Volpone on Dec 22, 2017, 02:53 am
As they hustled us down the corridors from the transporter room to the bridge I stopped to look at some of the text on signs in the hallway. The one I remember was "You don't jump on Superman's cape or spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Jim." It was all too small for anyone to see and more interesting than just putting gibberish or technobabble on the signs.

I remember when I got to visit the 'ST: Voyager' sets when I had friends working on the series. I got a look at the graphics (or "Okudagrams" as they called them) that were on the mess deck screen. One of the menu items was "Tribble in Lobster Sauce". So things like that were also sneaked into the actual show.

Two of the best instances of this were in 'ST: DS9'. In the episode "Whispers", Sisko was reading through a list of ships planning to dock at DS9. One of the ships listed was "C-57-D LUNAR RECEIVING CAPT. J. J. ADAMS" - a reference to the ship C-57D from the film "Forbidden Planet" and Leslie Nielsen's character, Captain John J. Adams. (The ship listed below that was "CAR 54" - probably a nod to the 1960s comedy 'Car 54, Where Are You?'.)

The other was in the 'ST: TNG' episode "The Neutral Zone", when Councilor Troy was researching the family tree of one of the 20th Century people Data revived from a suspended animation satellite to see if the woman had any living descendants. In the original episode, the list Troy was looking at has the list of all the actors that had played the Doctor from William Hartnell to Colin Baker (he hadn't been dismissed yet). There were other names next to them, but they aren't clear enough to read. (The sad thing is that, from what I've heard, that graphic was replaced with something different in the DVD release.)

It makes one wonder what else they managed to sneak past us that we'll never know about.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Volpone on Dec 22, 2017, 02:53 am
One of my roles here is to derail threads.  Back when they had the "Star Trek Experience" in Las Vegas, I did it.  It was awesome.  Without going into too much detail, they had a replica of the Next Generation Enterprise that you wind up "transported" onto.
I bloody loved that place! Getting sloshed in Quarks bar was a highlight as well :D

jontennant

I thought that may have been the case. I haven't watched enough of Troughton's episodes
Jontennant -  'The Other Doctor'

Rassilons Rod

Good grief, I'd forgotten how inaccurate that console is. It's missing controls and also the main levers seem to be out of proportion!!!! :o

I said at the time they should have asked Celation! :D
Quote from: Vale on Dec 20, 2017, 05:12 pm
maxresdefault.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Vale

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 22, 2017, 11:16 am
Good grief, I'd forgotten how inaccurate that console is. It's missing controls and also the main levers seem to be out of proportion!!!! :o

I said at the time they should have asked Celation! :D

Wasn't it determined around these parts that the reason the AAiSaT prop looked incorrect was because it actually followed the original blueprints much closer than the real prop did? At least in terms of the panel dimensions and angles, which then caused problems accurately replicating control layout etc? Or did I imagine that?

tony farrell

No Vale, you didn't imagine it - it was me that pointed that out!  :)

T

matt sanders

Hi guys, I was the Art Dept Draftsman on this episode, and have written an article for the new DWM Special "In The Studio" (April 2018), about how we went about recreating the original Console Room, so check that out if you're interested.

I've posted the design drawings on my website (www.MattSandersArt.com), and could post them here if someone can indicate the best place to put them. 

Here's a sneak preview: 

Xmas:02:01-ClassicTARDIS-RoundelWalls.jpg

Scarfwearer

Great reference! Thanks!
By all means start a new topic in this board and post them there.

Vale

Those blueprints are AMAZING :o

Would you be at all amenable to sharing them in a higher resolution? ;)