Dec 05, 2023, 11:19 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bradley Console room Twice upon a Time

Started by nebula1253, Jul 26, 2017, 06:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

The photographic blow ups worked well in the original series as the technology available at the time allowed them to get away with it and it worked in AAISAT because that programme was trying to replicate the BBC making a series in the 60's.

No way they would have worked in the context of this upcoming episode so obviously an alternative was required.

That said, I've no idea as to why they have apparently decided that the curator style walls were a good idea? They really do ruin the idea of this being the 1st Doctors TARDIS, why not replace the original photo walls with real versions of them?

They have spent a lot of time and money getting the costume and TARDIS exterior almost spot on, so why completely alter the interior?

Of course I must point out that what they have done is loads better compared to previous examples such as "The Two Doctors" where they gave the 2nd Doctor the 4th Doctor's control console in the 6th Doctor's console room!

So as much as I don't like the hexagons, I'm pleased they made the effort and spent some money making a reasonable representation of the original TARDIS interior.

As for the brilliant white paint scheme, I'm undecided. I appreciate it is what was intended to be seen on screen originally but seeing it does make it look a bit clinical and boring. Perhaps If the roundals had that yellow tinge like later versions it would look better?

handofomega

My only complaint at all about this is that there is no doors to the rest of the interior.    Otherwise I am quite happy with the new look.

Mark

Hmm,never thought about that. Good point.

Vale

Quote from: handofomega on Dec 08, 2017, 09:18 am
My only complaint at all about this is that there is no doors to the rest of the interior.    Otherwise I am quite happy with the new look.

I'm assuming the rest of the interior is behind the fault locator/scanner wall. There are two visible gaps on either side. Or maybe the door to the rest of the TARDIS is in the same place it is in the Coral console room ;)

galacticprobe

Dec 09, 2017, 06:15 am #34 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2017, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Mark on Dec 08, 2017, 09:06 am
As for the brilliant white paint scheme, I'm undecided. I appreciate it is what was intended to be seen on screen originally but seeing it does make it look a bit clinical and boring. Perhaps If the roundals had that yellow tinge like later versions it would look better?

It does look sterile and boring. Tony can pinpoint the exact time since he did the research a lot faster than I could - having to re-read his work again - but at some point during Hartnell's era the walls were changed from the pale green to a pale grey. That at least contrasted with the white roundels, even when they went to recording in color during the Pertwee era.

The console was still pale green (as seen in Pertwee's "Ambassadors Of Death", and its final appearance in "Inferno"), though it was outside the TARDIS in those two stories. When we next saw it back inside the TARDIS, as the Kenneth Sharp Console (version 1), it was still pale green. The walls were still pale grey and (with the exception of the wooden Season 14 secondary console room) they remained pale grey right through the final Classic story. (The shade of grey may have darkened and lightened throughout the show's color run, but they were always pale grey, not blinding white.)

The Sharp Console (Ver. 1) was pale green all during the Pertwee era, even through all of its little tweaks. It was still pale green when we saw Tom Baker using it in "Planet Of Evil" and "Pyramids Of Mars" (2nd and 3rd story of Season 13, respectively). Even when we saw the "main console" return in Season 15's "The Invisible Enemy", though it had been given a refurb (Sharp Console, Version 2), it was never solid white. From Season 15 until the Sharp Console (Ver 2)'s last appearance in the 5th Doctor story "The King's Demons", the console was always a mix of varying shades of grey and silver.

So for this console room in the upcoming Special, they could have at least made the walls pale grey, and the console pale green. We saw a pale green console when they started airing stories in color, so we know the console was green. They even repainted the "Bradley console" green again after "Hell Bent" when they put it back on display at the DWE as the 1st Doctor's console. Why didn't they just leave it as it was?

They still could have done so much better with this console room than they did. The way it is, it just looks wrong.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

I have to disagree with you on one point and that is have the console pale green.

From my understanding, the console was only ever painted that colour originally so that it would appear white on the older cameras of the day without bleaching out the picture once the studio lights were on. To have it green in the upcoming episode or "Hell Bent" for that matter, would look odd in my opinion.

Light gray would have worked well, I agree with that point.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Dino that this console room looks wrong but I'm hoping David and Peters performance along with the "canon" 1st Doctors TARDIS exterior will make up for this.

rob49152

I am extremely impressed with the Tracking Room set re-construction. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since there are copies of the plans floating around out there.

cobalt

Dec 09, 2017, 01:57 pm #37 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2017, 06:38 pm by cobalt
I discovered quite by accident, that on the 360 - degree viewer website thingy, you can use the + and - keys to zoom in and out.

And when I zoomed in on the wall of hexels I spotted something that I'm not sure anyone has taken note of: each hexel has a faint beveled roundel pattern inside it.

cobalt

Tried to upload pictures, but it didn't work the first time for some reason. Trying again.

HEXELS-CLOSE.jpgHEXELS-LEVELS.jpg

handofomega

karsthotep

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

Dec 10, 2017, 01:09 am #41 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 01:43 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Mark on Dec 09, 2017, 08:11 am
I have to disagree with you on one point and that is have the console pale green.

Mark, you almost sound like Tony does when he disagrees with me on something. :)

From my understanding, the console was only ever painted that colour originally so that it would appear white on the older cameras of the day without bleaching out the picture once the studio lights were on.

This could have been the original intention, I agree, but it was never mentioned in any dialogue (i.e. a new companion entering for the first time and saying something like 'Wow! It's bigger on the inside and... so gleaming white!') As an analogy, the B&W western TV series 'Have Gun-Will Travel' had the star, the late Richard Boone as Paladin, wear dark blue clothing when he was out on the trail because the dark blue looked more black than did actual black. Every now and then they would have it written into the dialogue to remind viewers that Paladin's clothing was "black"... such as having one antagonist calling him "Black-shirt!", and in another episode they had someone say "...a man whose heart is as black as his shirt..." (most likely because all of the color publicity photos of Boone showed his "trail clothes" in their dark blue color - much like all of the color publicity photos of Hartnell and Troughton on the TARDIS set showed the console as unmistakably green).

And if the console was intended to be "white", when they built the Kenneth Sharp console to replace the ailing Brachacki console (which was clearly green in "Inferno"), why did they paint the Sharp console green as well? (My guess for them leaving the Brachacki console green for her only color appearance in "Inferno" was because it was the last time she would be seen, and didn't want to spend money on paint, or the time it would take to do the painting on something destined for the bin after that last story in Season 7.)

With the long break between when the Brachacki console made her last appearance, and when the Sharp console made her first, it would have been easy back then for viewers to just accept a white console; they didn't have the luxury of looking back at their VCR recordings, or DVDs, to see if the console was white in "Inferno". The designers could easily have gotten away with painting the Sharp console white, but instead, they painted it green, which let all viewers see a green console that lasted from Season 8 to Season 13, before revealing a revamped Sharp console in grey-tones and silver in Season 15.

Light gray would have worked well, I agree with that point.

Agreed. And I could probably have accepted a pale grey console, since during the Hartnell era the walls were repainted a pale grey, doing away with the original pale green. But it's like others have mentioned before: since they went through all the trouble and effort to get David Bradley's 1st Doctor outfit, and his "Tenth Planet" TARDIS exterior, re-created so accurately, why did they build a "Brackacki" console room set so inaccurately? Everything about it is wrong. It might not look so bad if they had painted the walls pale grey, or even used roundeled walls like those "blank" ones seen in "Planet Of Evil" if they didn't want to go the PBU walls route.

Instead they did something that was never seen in the TARDIS console room (ever), and they took a console that was already painted green, and repainted it white. I still say, they could have done far better with that set than they did. (I know they had some very good advisors when it came to its design, and I think the BBC should have listened to the advisors more than they obviously did.)

I agree wholeheartedly with you Dino that this console room looks wrong but I'm hoping David and Peters performance along with the "canon" 1st Doctors TARDIS exterior will make up for this.

Seeing the trailers with David Bradley in action (not to mention Peter Capaldi), I have no doubt that they will carry this to being a great Special, and again judging from the trailers I hope they would do more specials like this - not necessarily with the Doctor regenerating, mind, but like they did with "The Two Doctors", and in the New Series with the Children In Need fundraiser "Time Crash": just a special with the current Doctor and an earlier self together, for the fun of it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

That made me laugh Dino!

I didn't intend to sound like Tony, but being likened to him in any way is quite flattering. :)

tony farrell

Dec 10, 2017, 12:49 pm #43 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 03:40 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: Mark on Dec 10, 2017, 09:39 am
That made me laugh Dino!

I didn't intend to sound like Tony, but being likened to him in any way is quite flattering. :)

Mark - you'll make me blush! If we eventually do get to meet, perhaps at Crich, I hope that I don't disappoint you.  :)

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 10, 2017, 01:09 am
If the console was intended to be "white", when they built the Kenneth Sharp console to replace the ailing Brachacki console (which was clearly green in "Inferno"), why did they paint the Sharp console green as well? (My guess for them leaving the Brachacki console green for her only color appearance in "Inferno" was because it was the last time she would be seen, and didn't want to spend money on paint, or the time it would take to do the painting on something destined for the bin after that last story in Season 7.)

"Warning, warning... Best Roger Delgado voice detected, best Roger Delgado voice detected".....

My Dear Dino, you're forgetting your history of British television: The BBC began trials of colour television in the early 1960s and - after a three year trial covering the southeast of the UK - BBC 2 was launched nationally in 1967 to become the world's first colour television channel.

However, BBC 1 and independent television still transmitted in black and white and it wasn't until the end of the 1960s that colour transmission became the norm. Even with this switch to colour transmission, the use of black and white TV receivers still predominated well into the 1970s.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 10, 2017, 01:09 am
With the long break between when the Brachacki console made her last appearance, and when the Sharp console made her first, it would have been easy back then for viewers to just accept a white console; they didn't have the luxury of looking back at their VCR recordings, or DVDs, to see if the console was white in "Inferno". The designers could easily have gotten away with painting the Sharp console white, but instead, they painted it green, which let all viewers see a green console that lasted from Season 8 to Season 13, before revealing a revamped Sharp console in grey-tones and silver in Season 15.

It wasn't until 1975 that the number colour television sets actually exceeded the number of black & white television sets that were in use. Thus, before 1975, most of the audience were still watching in black and white (we got our first colour TV set just in time to watch the first episode of "Genesis of the Daleks" being transmitted).

Given the fact that the majority of the audience were still watching in black & white when the Sharp Console was introduced in 1971, they wouldn't have known it was painted green. The reason it was painted green would therefore have been the same that the original Brachacki version was painted green i.e., it would have showed up better in black & white!

I mentioned that the number of colour TV receivers didn't exceed the number of black & white TV receivers until 1975. It is surely no co-incidence that when the Sharp Console was refitted for "Planet of Evil/Pyramids of Mars", it was actually repainted a very pale grey/off-white. So, my dear Dino when you state that the console was repainted for Season 15, you are incorrect - this happened a full two seasons earlier and this change corresponded with the fact that the majority of the audience were now watching in colour!

So, the fact that the recreated Tardis set isn't pale green shouldn't really be an issue because had the majority of the audience been able to watch the original in colour and in HD, in all likelihood it would never have been painted green either!

End of Roger Delgado voice.... End of Roger Delgado voice......  ;)

T

Angelus Lupus

I really do read these posts with the Delgado Master's voice in my head! Fun and fascinating (funscinating?)  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.