Scratch Built Doctor Who Matt Smith Tardis Interior Model Thread

Started by robajob, Jul 24, 2017, 10:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

:o
13 out of 10!
I don't know what else to say... it genuinely looks like it's been carried out to the highest level of detail you'd expect on a full-scale set that's going to be seen in HD close-ups on massive TV screens!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Truer words were never spoken, Angelus! Just these three images alone would make anyone think they were looking at photos of the actual TARDIS set!

Quote from: robajob on Oct 01, 2017, 09:50 pm
41..jpg
42..jpg
43..jpg

The rest of the images are just icing on the cake! (And nice thick layer of icing it is, too! :D :D :D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

Dino, I was thinking the exact same thing!
I was even considering quoting those same 3 images to make that point (but I had to go get dinner), how's that for a coincidence? :o
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Davros Skaro

This is truly a fantastic build, when I showed the wife, she thought it was the real set, till I told her it was a model, she was amazed as well.

"Your song has ended sir, but the story never ends!"

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Oct 02, 2017, 08:15 pm
Dino, I was thinking the exact same thing!
I was even considering quoting those same 3 images... how's that for a coincidence? :o

Well... what is that saying about "Great minds..."? ;) :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

robajob

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 02, 2017, 05:11 am
Oh... my... fracking... Glob!!!

AncientAliens(Blank-Medium).jpg
Okay... what we're looking at here is not model-building; it's misunderstood alien technology! :o :o :o

Dino.

Dino, thank you so much for all your positive comments and witticisms throughout this build thread, love the quote above with regards to misunderstood alien technology, especially as this actually is supposed to represent misunderstood alien technology, even if it is in miniature form!
Rob.

robajob

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Oct 02, 2017, 05:50 pm
:o
13 out of 10!
I don't know what else to say... it genuinely looks like it's been carried out to the highest level of detail you'd expect on a full-scale set that's going to be seen in HD close-ups on massive TV screens!

Hi Angelus Lupus,
                          Thank you for yet another positively fantastic comment.
I really appreciate your posts and am very grateful and ecstatic that you think that the model would withstand such high level scrutiny and is worthy of such praise.
I am touched by your comment given the fantastic level of work on here. Thank you so much once again.
Rob.

robajob

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 02, 2017, 06:44 pm
Truer words were never spoken, Angelus! Just these three images alone would make anyone think they were looking at photos of the actual TARDIS set!

Quote from: robajob on Oct 01, 2017, 09:50 pm
41..jpg
42..jpg
43..jpg

The rest of the images are just icing on the cake! (And nice thick layer of icing it is, too!

Dino.

Dino, Again you astound, thank you so much.
Rob.

robajob

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Oct 02, 2017, 11:14 pm
This is truly a fantastic build, when I showed the wife, she thought it was the real set, till I told her it was a model, she was amazed as well.

"Your song has ended sir, but the story never ends!"

Chris.

Hi Chris,
             Another great comment, thank you so much, so pleased that the model managed to achieve the desired effect on your wife.
Very true about the song ending, but the story never ends, especially as the next build thread I hope to post in the near future is a full scale Junk Yard Tardis that I made for my son to play with in different locations, so this one is made out of cardboard. So keep your eyes peeled!
Rob.

d33j r093r5

:o :o :o

... I like to think I build nice models, but the truth is I'm an incredibly lazy modeller. Still doesn't stop me thinking I'm not too shabby. And then something like this comes along, and I realise that I have fallen victim to the Dunning-Kreuger effect: I'm not as good as I think I am, because I do not have the requisite skills and knowledge to be as good as I think I am. And your work sir absolutely drives this home. I have seen some truly amazing builds, but nothing EVER like this. I'm not even certain that I knew that this kind of model recreation, this level of extraordinary detail at such a fine scale was even possible. There are no words at all to describe what a masterpiece you have created, and everybody before me has said it all already! I take my hat off to you sir, you are a genius and master-craftsman. :)

I realise that this was probably a verrrrrrry intense labour of love, and that you're unlikely to engage in something else as spectacular as this lightly, if at all. Nevertheless, I will be watching this space eagerly in case you ever decide to take up the challenge again.  ;D  ;D

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

robajob

Quote from: d33j r093r5 on Jan 20, 2018, 12:56 pm
:o :o :o

... I like to think I build nice models, but the truth is I'm an incredibly lazy modeller. Still doesn't stop me thinking I'm not too shabby. And then something like this comes along, and I realise that I have fallen victim to the Dunning-Kreuger effect: I'm not as good as I think I am, because I do not have the requisite skills and knowledge to be as good as I think I am. And your work sir absolutely drives this home. I have seen some truly amazing builds, but nothing EVER like this. I'm not even certain that I knew that this kind of model recreation, this level of extraordinary detail at such a fine scale was even possible. There are no words at all to describe what a masterpiece you have created, and everybody before me has said it all already! I take my hat off to you sir, you are a genius and master-craftsman. :)

I realise that this was probably a verrrrrrry intense labour of love, and that you're unlikely to engage in something else as spectacular as this lightly, if at all. Nevertheless, I will be watching this space eagerly in case you ever decide to take up the challenge again.  ;D  ;D

D.

Hi d33j r093r5,
                     Thank you so very much for your flabbergasting comment.
Words fail me in how to respond to "masterpiece, genius and master craftsman, especially coming from a man with such obvious design, rendering and 3d printed building talent/skills such as yourself.
I am honoured that you hold my efforts in such high stead in comparison to your fantastically detailed work.

It was, as you so rightly commented, a labour of love, as this was built purely for my son to use with his 5" CO figures, which as I am sure you are already aware being an aficionado in this range, CO didn't make the Pickwoad Console as a playset, so it was up to me to try and satisfy my little Whovian.

It did take rather a long time to complete, as all of this was made by hand and had to function, albeit I did wish at some points that I had gone down the 3d printed route, as it may have made the production process a lot quicker, printing over night, rendering results the next morning, rather than results only when I had time to work on it.  
But that said, I was able to make sure that all the reproduced parts actually do move, turn, spin, slide etc, as they do on the actual main console and side consoles. Which thanks to CO's brilliant Tenth Doctor Tardis was part of the specification made by my son, as well as it being lit as well.

I am so pleased that you think that end results are spectacular and though I may not take on this task again lightly, you can never say no!

I will however, in the near future be posting up some of my other efforts to satisfy my little Whovian, including, as mentioned in a previous post, a full size Junkyard Tardis Console and something that may be of more interest to you, a lit and functional sliding door Pandorica, made for the 5" figures again, all built from scratch.  
Again, thank you so much for your comment, it is very much appreciated.

Rob.

jacksonplayz17

jacksonplayz17

Quote from: robajob on Aug 20, 2017, 09:20 pm"I'll tell you one thing. Being with you keeps a girl fit.
Fun to be with and good for you. Gotta be just what the doctor ordered."

So in the vein hope that this is fun, it must be good for you, so let's carry on, in this episode of  "Doctor Who the next section", see what I did there, a bit like Star Trek the Next Generation, except it's Doctor Who and it's small plastic bits and it's not based in Hollywood, oh what the heck, here's build thread section 7.

The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced by the construction of the Main Console, Time Rotor, Whirly Gig and the Top Mount, all as per the original design drawings.
So let's add a bit more into the cooking pot...
Section 7; Side Consoles + Chairs. uh where is the side console measures png?.

0. Tardis Console Floor Main Console Side Consoles + Chairs.jpg
Basic plan view of the Main Console Floor with the positions of the stairs and Entrance marked. Showing the minimum width of chair to maximise the size of the Side Console, drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale with a small compromise on accuracy.
In order to achieve maximise Side Console size to accommodate all the controls, the small gap between the chairs seen on the original set had to be lost. 

1. Tardis Side Consoles + Elements.jpg
Basic drawing showing the chairs, console construction, console legs and layout of the individual controls on the Side Consoles.
There is one slight difference between the consoles, which is accounted for later in this thread.
Templates were made and used in the construction process.
These drawings were a good reference during the construction to ensure a good and correct final fit of all those controls, it was a bit busy to say the least, hence maximising the console size to more accurately space everything out and still enable functionality where applicable.
That means yes, yet again and in line with request made by my son, the Side Consoles "have moving parts" as well.

2..jpg
So using the templates, the Chairs were constructed from insulation foam, again, trying to keep the weight down.
The insulation foam was rough cut and hand sanded to the desired shape.
The insulation foam then received 4 No. coats of PVA to increase rigidity.
The ribs on the chairs were individually cut from 1.5mm cardboard sheet I already had in stock.
Once affixed to the insulation foam, all received another 2 No. coats of PVA to seal, protect and increase rigidity.

3..jpg
Picture showing the bird's mouth detail to the bottom of the Chairs and the smooth curvature of the back.

4A..jpg4..jpg
Dry test fit to check for position in relation to the design drawing and elements.
Again, bloody Captain Jack was on the scene, I think he's got his eye on this Tardis.
Survey over, the works progressed onto the next element.

5..jpg7..jpg
The Side Consoles were cut from 2mm styrene sheet as per the design drawings with the backs left off to allow access to install the fibre optics required to illuminate the console controls and lights.
This would be installed at a later date and was pre-cut from 1 mm styrene sheet.
The Side Console legs sides were cut from 2 mm styrene sheet, the front and rear components were cut from 0.5 mm sheet styrene to enable a smooth curve, which matches the chairs.
These were constructed hollow to enable the installation of the required LEDs from the Main Console Floor underside tubing referred to earlier in the build thread. The LEDs and fibre optics would join inside the legs themselves, meaning that the installation of the fibre optics and LEDs could be undertaken separately at a later date.

8..jpg
Dry test fit of the Side Consoles and Chairs to check for spacing.

8A..jpg9..jpg
He's at it again; no sooner is something built than Captain Jack turns up to check it out!

10..jpg10A..jpg10B..jpg
Captain Jack checking out the overall layout and heights, has he got nothing better to do!

11..jpg11A..jpg
Customer satisfaction achieved, it was back to the model making of all the parts for the 2 No. Side Consoles as per the design drawings.
Shown here are 2 of the controls that were hand made from styrene sheet, brass and plastic tubing.
As there were only 2 No. of each it wasn't worth moulding and casting, the central controls were constructed to rotate.

12..jpg12A..jpg
Pictures showing the various other controls and switches that were constructed from the usual suspects, except for two of the items, the one control shown far left bottom, was constructed by cutting and affixing 2 No. Allen key bits to achieve the desired result and the far bottom right was an attempt at 3D printing undertaken by others.
This time, as there is a lot of repetition on the consoles, it was worth moulding and casting the individual controls.

13..jpg
Moulding and casting some of the parts for the Side Console controls as well as other knobs and minutia for other parts of the project.

14..jpg
Close up of the cast resin various bits and pieces for the project.

15..jpg15A..jpg15B..jpg
Dry fit of the controls in relation to the design drawing.
The black crosses indicate where lights were to be installed, again as per the drawing.

16..jpg
The holes for the various sized lights were drilled out of the Side Consoles as well as creating slots for further lighting access.
This further lighting access is what the small cast rectangles are for. What exactly the 1mm and 2 mm brass tubing that was all cut by hand, is actually for, will become more apparent in the next couple of pictures.

17..jpg17A..jpg
Et voilĂ , the resin cast pieces are the bases of the switches on the Side Consoles.
The brass tubes are to create the raised flick switches and sunken light tubes for the fibre optics to travel through.
The pound coin is just for size reference.

18..jpg
Test fit of the completed pieces into the pre-cut slots, again checking position and fit.

19..jpg20..jpg21..jpg22..jpg22A..jpg
Dry fit of the remaining Side Console controls with the necessary brass tube to contain the fibre optics for the remaining lights.
And to address the one slight difference between the consoles, if you look really closely at the plan view picture of the dry fit test above, you will see 3 No. round protruding knobs to the right hand side of the consoles, 1 side has a round bottom flange, the other side has square bottom flanges, it is more apparent when they are painted. Big deal huh, but details are the key!

So as far as stage 7 Side Consoles + Chairs goes, that's all for now folks!