Scratch Built Doctor Who Matt Smith Tardis Interior Model Thread

Started by robajob, Jul 24, 2017, 10:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

robajob

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Aug 21, 2017, 02:24 am
I have to agree with Dino on this, you are one heck of a craftsman with a lot of paitents to be able to do those fiddly bits, I would have lost it ages ago.

Well done to you sir!

Chris.

Hi Chris,
             Thank you so much for your comment about being a craftsmen, I am humbled considering the great company on here.
As I was constructing the Tardis, I suppose you could say I had a lot of patients, but that would be the wrong sort of doctor! Oh and for the record, I did loose it ages ago, like I said to Dino above, I am definitely a mad man with a box!
Thanks again,
                     Rob.

robajob

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Aug 21, 2017, 11:19 am
Everyone has already said it, but that is an amazing level of detail, quality and functionality and all at such a small scale, too!  :o
We're all jealous - of you, your skill, and your son.. let's just hope he doesn't start wondering how hard it would be for Dad to scale this up to full size!  ;D

Hi Angelus Lupus,
                          Thank you very much for your comment, I am very pleased that you think the level of detail, quality and functionality is amazing, I was under strict orders from my son after all and if he ever starts to wonder about up-scaling this project, I think it will be me leaving home sooner rather than later instead of him!
Rob.

robajob

"Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"
So planning on pretending to hold tight, I mean carrying on with the plan, here is build thread section 8.

The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced by the construction of the Main Console, Time Rotor, Whirly Gig, Top Mount, Side Consoles and Chairs all as per the original design drawings.
So maybe now would be a good idea to make light of the situation...
Section 8;  Landing Light Boxes + Roundels.

0. Landing Light Box.jpg
Basic drawing of the Landing Light Boxes drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.  
The details to the right of the drawing were for information purposes, as these lights were to be made especially for the Tardis by others. These would be installed at a later date.

2..jpg2A..jpg
The basic shapes were cut from 1 mm styrene sheet.
The light cut outs were done by hand and framed using 0.5 mm styrene strips.
The 1mm brass tubes were cut, drilled through and affixed to create the frame fixings externally and hold the glazing in place internally.

3..jpg3A..jpg
The basic structure was added to internally with 2 mm styrene sheet to give some structural support, as a top and bottom would be constructed from 2 mm styrene sheet to encapsulate the box and the end supports would enable fixing of the boxes to the structural frames of the Tardis upon completion.

4..jpg4A..jpg
Like a bad penny, he's back to check on what's going on.
Check for size, fit and scale.

5..jpg5B..jpg5C..jpg5A..jpg
Test fit of the remaining light boxes.
Including the different Light Box which only has 2 No. openings and 4 No. lights to the end of line which encompasses the Landing door.

6..jpg
Satisfied with the fit, the Landing Light Boxes were edge framed using 2 mm styrene sheet and were painted using acrylics with texture to add interest.
Once completed the glazing was added using frosted plastic to diffuse the lighting.

7..jpg7A..jpg
As has already been seen in the pictures above, the Landing and Basement doors were constructed using insulation foam as the main basis. Garden weed control fabric was used to give texture on the landing door, spayed with silver paint to achieve the correct colour. 1 mm and 2mm sheet styrene was used for the remainder of the parts as per the design drawings with elements resized, for scale and accuracy.

8A..jpg8..jpg
The new lighting had arrived shortly before completion of the boxes, so I could not resist a quick test; see the video below for the full test images.
Looks like Captain Jack is bowled over with the new lights, I know I was, or maybe he's just looking at them from a different perspective!

1. Roundel Elements.jpg
Drawing showing the combined and separate elements that constituted the Tardis Roundels drawn up using publisher.
The details of the layering and construction were heavily considered using the abundance of reference material.
A clever piece of design work by the BBC, which incorporated the middle ring of the new Daleks.
So what do you know, the Daleks did actually make it into the Tardis after all.

9..jpg
Picture showing the individual Roundel element templates and corresponding rough cut sheet styrene.

9A..jpg
Picture showing the fret work rough cut by hand using 0.5 mm styrene sheet which would become the topper for the 3 No. gold elements of the Roundels.

10..jpg11..jpg12..jpg12A..jpg
Using the rough cut pieces shown above and having considered the layer/construction, a rough mock-up Roundel was constructed.
This was all cut, filed and finished by hand using 0.5 mm, 1 mm, 2 mm sheet styrene and a couple of odd bits of plastic, cut and shaped to the desired shape for the central area.
The construction allowed for a void space for light dissipation from the EL Discs which would be placed to the rear of the Roundel to achieve the blue glow to the perimeter at a later date.
A LED would be placed in the central location, also later, to illuminate the centre of the Roundel with its distinctive orange tang.

13A..jpg13..jpg
In order to achieve the central light, the EL Discs had to be drilled to accommodate the LED.
This involved quite some fettling to clear the central area of connection points to the rear of the EL Discs and carefully drilling of the disc to accept the LED to pass through.

14..jpg
Test of the adapted and drilled EL Discs.
Even though extreme care was taken with this element, some damage occurred when drilling through.
Nonetheless, the light was required to the perimeter, not the centre, so no major catastrophe.

15..jpg
A closer, clearer shot of the basic Roundel mock-up which had been later further adapted during the construction.

16..jpg
Once satisfied with the mock-up, it was further finished in readiness for moulding.
The pieces were separated and molded individually to enable painting of each element at a later date.

17..jpg
2 piece and 1 piece silicone moulds were poured for the required elements.

18..jpg
Moulding completed, the resin casting could commence of the various parts of the Roundels and other project items at the same time.

19..jpg
Closer shot of the various cast elements.
12 No. complete roundels had to be cast from the 3 No. individual sections that constituted 1 No. Roundel.

20..jpg20A..jpg
A close up shot of the assembled and completed Roundel with the rear EL Disc roughly in place for test.

21..jpg21A..jpg
I couldn't resist putting a couple of clearer pictures on this section of the completed Roundels in position, with just the blue EL Discs temporarily fitted. An orange LED will pass through the centre of these discs to complete the roundel lighting,which is elaborated on in a later build thread section. This picture was taken in broad daylight, so they look even better as it gets darker.

21D..jpg
A final picture of the finished Roundels in position, with the blue EL Discs fitted and the orange LED through the centre to complete the roundel lighting, again referred to in a later build thread section.

Test video of the Landing Light Boxes lights, which came with a remote control to change the varying functions.

So as far as stage 8 Landing Light Boxes + Roundels goes, that's all for now folks!

robajob

"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will - where do you want to start?"
With that in mind, how about we just start at the beginning and see where it takes us, here is build thread section 9.
The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced and some more light had been shed on the subject, all as per the design drawings.
So how about we start wrapping it up by adding some more light on the situation and doing a spot of home decorating...
Section 9; Lighting + Painting Part 1.
The "At a later date" I have referred to in these build threads was fast approaching its zenith.
So trying to cover the second part of the initial request that the Tardis have "moving parts and lights"
It was time to start the installation of the various lighting that will bring the Tardis to life.
As stated at the start of this thread another part of the request from my son was that the Tardis be mobile "So I can take it to Grandma's", so this dictated that battery packs be used to achieve the lighting.

The main Tardis areas to be lit totalled 9, with 5 sub-areas all being powered by 8 separate battery packs and 3 different types of lighting.
Quite a tall order to light all this, hide it all within the Tardis and store the battery packs as well.
To create a semi lightweight, self-contained mobile item.

The areas to be lit were;
Tardis Entrance; Lantern + Corridor
Main Console; 3 No. Panel screens, Lights on 4 No. panels
Time Rotor; Light tubes
Whirly Gig; Down lighters
Engine Compartment; Light tubes + White glow
Side Consoles; Lights on 2 No. panels
Landing; Light Boxes, Roundel perimeter glow + Roundel central light
Dais; Lighting tubes + Basement green glow
Backdrop; Stars

1A..jpg1B..jpg1C..jpg1D..jpg1E..jpg1F..jpg1G..jpg
The Main Console was to be illuminated to not only achieve lighting to all the various sized lights on the panels, but also the panel screens as well.
The lighting to the panels were to be lit using 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand.
Installation into the pre-positioned brass and plastic tubes commenced, getting all the fibre optic strands into the console was going to be a tight fit especially as the central area had the Time Rotor running through it as well.

2A..jpg2B..jpg2C..jpg2D..jpg
The fibre optic cable was to have 2 LED lighting sources.
These were 1 No. 10mm white and 1 No. 10 mm colour changing. This enabled me to light the panel lights from 2 sources, so some of the lights could flash/change colour.
With some fore-thought as to the position of these light sources and accessibility to the battery pack/switch, I would be able to light the panel screens and specifically make 1 change colour.

3A..jpg3B..jpg3C..jpg3D..jpg3E..jpg
The fibre optics were installed and left long for trimming after painting.

Test Video of Initial Fibre Optic Lighting

5..jpg
The Main Console was then airbrushed aluminium and lightly weathered.

6A..jpg6B..jpg6C..jpg6D..jpg
A few closer shots showing some of the light detail weathering.

7A..jpg7B..jpg7C..jpg7D..jpg7E..jpg7F..jpg7G..jpg7H..jpg
The Main Console elements and framing where then painted using acrylics.
The panel screens had clear plastic affixed to emulate glazing, the panel screens were printed and affixed.
Relying heavily on the reference material again, the individual lights on all the panels were hand painted using glass paint to the appropriate colour.
Some artistic license was allowed, as some of the lights had been lit from the colour changing LED and therefore would change colour, unlike the original, but it made the panel lights just a little more interesting.

Test Video of the installed coloured Fibre Optic Lighting.

9C..jpg9D..jpg9E..jpg
9A..jpg9B..jpg
The Basement light tubes were constructed from internet sourced plastic tubing which was painted with acrylics to the correct colours with a central light tube.
The central light tube was installed using animated EL Wire.
Again this was undertaken to add a little interest as the original lighting is static.

Test Video of the Basement lighting tubes.

11A..jpg11B..jpg11D..jpg11E..jpg11F..jpg
With the Basement light tubes fitted, the Basement door was installed and the bottom walls were printed and affixed.

12A..jpg12B..jpg
The Side Console lighting was again to be achieved with 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand.
Temporary fibre optic strand was placed into the consoles and switches in readiness for painting.

13A..jpg13B..jpg13C..jpg13D..jpg13E..jpg13F..jpg13G..jpg13H..jpg13I..jpg13J..jpg13K..jpg13L..jpg13M..jpg13N..jpg13O..jpg
The various elements/controls of the Tardis were then airbrushed the appropriate colour.

14A..jpg14B..jpg
14C..jpg14D..jpg
14E..jpg14F..jpg
14G..jpg14H..jpg
14I..jpg14J..jpg
The airbrushed controls were then given a light weathering/distressing and any necessary dials/indicators were affixed. All were then affixed to the Main Console and a lighting test undertaken.

16A..jpg16B..jpg16C..jpg
17A..jpg17B..jpg17C..jpg
A few close up shots of the individual Tardis Main Console panels completed.

18A..jpg18B..jpg18C..jpg18D..jpg18F..jpg
With the Side Consoles and controls airbrushed, both were given a light weathering/distressing and any necessary dials/indicators were affixed, the various control elements were then affixed to the Side Consoles panels.
The 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand was then installed to the pre-positioned brass and plastic tubes.

19..jpg19A..jpg
No, don't adjust your sets; the Tardis is on its side for a reason.
This picture shows the painted Main Console Floor edging installed and the necessary positioning of the Tardis for the EL Wire installation.
In order to achieve the Time Rotor and Engine Compartment lighting the EL Wire had to be threaded down through the various elements.
The route started from the Top Mount central tube, through the actual Time Rotor construction, through the Main Console Floor, into the Engine Compartment construction, back on itself to return up to the base of the Main Console to achieve the double tubing and terminate inside the Time Rotor column hidden at a point inside the console.
Gone fishing kept on playing in my head whilst undertaking this task, can't think why.

20C..jpg20D..jpg
As previously shown, the Whirly Gig lighting had been installed to each of the individual rings.
It was now installed onto the Top Mount with the connection wires between the individual rings feeding into and out of the Top Mount Central tube as a means of transition, in order to connect each of the rings to each other inside the conduit and then onwards to its own battery pack hidden inside the top ring as shown in the picture.
Even with all this connecting wiring the individual rings of the Whirly Gig still manage to rotate approximately 100°.
Both the EL Wire battery pack for the Time Rotor Tubes and the Whirly Gig Down lighters battery pack were installed in the Whirly Gig top ring and were attached to the framing conduit with small magnets. These can therefor be removed to allow access to change the batteries.
Access to these battery packs is achieved by a hinged opening lid to the top ring of the Whirly Gig.

21A..jpg21B..jpg
Pictures showing a quick test of the Time Rotor lighting and Main Console lighting.
It also shows the installation of the Side Console LEDs to position.
One cable from the battery pack at the rear centre of the Tardis was installed under the Basement Floor to the Engine Compartment.
This lighting was used to light the Engine Compartment with 3 No. LEDs, before continuing onto the perimeter of the Main Console Floor to provide 4 No. light sources for the Side Consoles.
As stated before, the cables from the Engine Compartment to the Main Console Floor perimeter were hidden in the underside tubing of the Main Console Floor.

22..jpg22A..jpg
Close-up shots of the Time Rotor, Main Console Floor and Engine Compartment.

23..jpg23A..jpg23B..jpg
Pictures showing the assembled Main Console, Time Rotor, Side Consoles and Chairs.

24A..jpg24B..jpg24C..jpg24D..jpg
A few close-up shots of the illuminated Main Console and Side Consoles with the Whirly Gig down lighters on as well.

24E..jpg24F..jpg24G..jpg24H..jpg24I..jpg
A few pictures showing the overall effect of the lighting with regards to the Time Rotor, Main Console, Side Consoles, Dais Lighting tubes and Basement green glow with the Whirly Gig down lighters turned off for effect.

So as far as stage 9 Lighting + Painting Part 1 goes, that's all for now folks!

karsthotep

its really a shame your modeling skills suck so bad  :P
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

Quote from: karsthotep on Sep 03, 2017, 11:14 pm
its really a shame your modeling skills suck so bad  :P

Jeez, yeah. Just imagine what you could have done if you were really good at building things! ;) ;D ;D ;D

I still say... ADOPT ME! PLEASE, ADOPT ME!

This is a definite 5-stars.jpg build, and has my meter pegged on maximum
Envy(Medium-Large).jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

nelissya

Oh my god.... Is this really possible, to do THAT?!! *___*
What is the final size of entire model for this scale at the end? L/w/h? Just thinking about my own, but for a bigger scale, but not sure I have enough place for it.

robajob

its really a shame your modeling skills suck so bad  :P

Hi karsthotep,
                    I normally say thank you to the person who commented, but in this case I'm not sure it's appropriate.
I'm sorry that you think my modeling skills suck so bad, I did actually try my hardest to give a good representation of the Matt Smith Tardis, honest!
It was only 2 years worth of work, sob, that I really tried my best at it, sob, time I can never get back, sob, I'm so sorry I wasted your time, wah!
Not to worry then, I'ill stop now and post no more to save my embarrassment, shame really, there were only 2 more parts to the build thread to go!!
I'm off to commit harakiri, farewell cruel world!!!
Rob. :P  :-[  :'(

robajob

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 04, 2017, 05:20 am
its really a shame your modeling skills suck so bad  :P

Jeez, yeah. Just imagine what you could have done if you were really good at building things! ;) ;D ;D ;D

I still say... ADOPT ME! PLEASE, ADOPT ME!

This is a definite 5-stars.jpg build, and has my meter pegged on maximum
Envy(Medium-Large).jpg
Dino.

Hi Dino,
           Thanks for joining in the debacle and agreeing my modeling skills suck!

Dino, we have been over this adoption issue before, I have already informed you that the position of adopted son is currently filled and that you would be informed of any change in the future, however the post of honorary adopted cousin twice removed, may be available in the very near future should you be interested.
I was just about to commit Harakiri when I saw your comment about the 5 stars and pegged on maximum envy, so thank you for that, hello again cruel world!
I thought you might like this part of the thread, especially as it dealt with the details on the consoles!
Rob.

robajob

Quote from: nelissya on Sep 05, 2017, 06:20 pm
Oh my god.... Is this really possible, to do THAT?!! *___*
What is the final size of entire model for this scale at the end? L/w/h? Just thinking about my own, but for a bigger scale, but not sure I have enough place for it.

привет nelissya,
                        Thank you so much for your comment, to answer the first of your questions, yes it really is possible to do that, as is evident with this build thread, although it did take a long time, a lot of sleepless nights and used up quite a few little grey cells!
Just as food for thought, if you thought the consoles were dull boring lifeless consoles, you would be wrong, all the parts that move on the real thing actually do move on this model as well. So the knobs all turn, the handles crank and the sliders slide etc.

In answer to your question about the overall size of the entire model in scale with the 5" figures, it is in Imperial/Metric;
42"/1070mm Width, 30"/760mm Depth and has a total Height of 21"/530mm.
The Main Console floor is 15¾"/400mm Diameter and the Main Console is a Hexagon with an outside diameter of 9"/240mm .

So quite large for a model, if you are scaling up for your own, what bigger scale were you thinking of?
The actual set is on the large size, so depending on your scale, maybe a spare house or better still a warehouse would be called for!?
If I can be of any help with regards to further information, then just mail me, a lot of my sizes were guesstimates based on screen grabs, but the AFT has an excellent set which you could possibly use as a start, scale up, refine, accurize, redraw, which is exactly how I started this project.
I hope that this information, basic as it is, is of use to you, I will look forward to your build.
Пока́ Rob.

fivefingeredstyre

I haven't commented much on this build so far; mainly because I've honestly been lost for words...

The level of workmanship here really is amazing, you must be really proud!

robajob

Hi fivefingeredstyre,
                              Thank you so much, I am very appreciative of your comment, especially as you have been lost for words and yet have an abundance of skill, ingenuity and craftsmanship yourself, as is evident in your projects
I am truly touched that you think that the level of workmanship is amazing, I must admit, I am rather pleased with the overall effect, specifically all the lighting, which I feel brings the old girl to life!
Thanks again for your comment,
                                                Rob.

Davros Skaro

WOW, I have been following this build with a lot of respect for you & your fabulous skills, this is simply amazing to see in a step by step process, LOVE it. Keep up the good work, I think your son is a very lucky boy to have a father like you & get this model built for him, he must be proud of you.

Look forward to the next build for this. :) :D ;D

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Quote from: robajob on Sep 05, 2017, 09:44 pm
Dino, we have been over this adoption issue before, I have already informed you that the position of adopted son is currently filled and that you would be informed of any change in the future...

NailBite.jpg
I can't help it! It's the anxiety and anticipation!

...the post of honorary adopted cousin twice removed, may be available in the very near future should you be interested.

I'll take it! :D (Though, I never could figure out that whole cousin thing with the "X" number of times removed. "Twice removed." Does that mean he's been thrown out twice, but keeps coming back? ???)

I thought you might like this part of the thread, especially as it dealt with the details on the consoles!

I'm always greatly interested when it comes to console details. Granted, I may not always be a fan of every console, but I still appreciate the intricacies and thought that go into each one.

I was just about to commit Harakiri when I saw your comment about the 5 stars and pegged on maximum envy, so thank you for that, hello again cruel world!

Worry not, Rob. I've known Karsten for many years now, and if you knew him for as long as I have you would know that he was being sarcastic. (He's done it before... sort of his way of saying as an amateur model-builder you're doing a magnificent job, and can only imagine what higher level of detail you could go to with this if you were a professional film and TV model-builder... if you could get any higher detail on this already super-high-detailed working model. He wasn't slighting you, so don't hold that against him. It's the type-written word: no inflection; no emotion - very difficult to get sarcasm across with the humor it's intended to have with it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

robajob

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Sep 05, 2017, 11:51 pm
WOW, I have been following this build with a lot of respect for you & your fabulous skills, this is simply amazing to see in a step by step process, LOVE it. Keep up the good work, I think your son is a very lucky boy to have a father like you & get this model built for him, he must be proud of you.

Look forward to the next build for this. :) :D ;D

Chris.

Hi Chris,
             Thank you so much for your comment and kind words, they are very much appreciated.
I am so pleased that you are enjoying the build thread so far, only 2 more episodes to go until the end is nigh!
Rob.