Scratch Built Doctor Who Matt Smith Tardis Interior Model Thread

Started by robajob, Jul 24, 2017, 10:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

robajob

"Idris: Are all people like this?
The Doctor: Like what?
Idris: So much bigger on the inside."
So trying to make this Tardis bigger on the inside shouldn't be too difficult then.....

As proposed in my first post on Tardis Builders, Matt Smith Tardis Interior Model and subsequently requested by members I am undertaking a build thread for this scratch built project.
I will post this in complete sections so as not to make each section too long-winded/boring and will try to post 1 or 2 a week, time allowing.

Firstly let me start off by stating the initial build was inspired, affected and requested by my son, who I would definitely class as a Whovian even at his tender age.  So how could one refuse the request of a small boy that has requested "My very own Tardis"!
With such a keen interest in anything Doctor Who I have found that encouraging his fanaticism leads to other interesting learning discoveries and opens that wonderful world of imagination.
So with this request being the initial inspiration/motivation, I started to do some research, designing and general digging around to see what I could eventually use to make this request become a reality on a budget.
The first thing I came across was the fantastic resource of Google maps, which I am sure that most Dr Who fans will be aware that if you visit the Police Box at Earl's Court you can actually go inside the Tardis and within certain limitations have a good look around the whole Tardis.
Research done! With this resource in hand I felt I had a very good head start on getting to grips with the project, so I started trying to get a sense of scale and overall size, and soon realised this was going to be big!
It was at this point that I came across a brilliant site called AFT (Action Figure Theatre), which has some excellent sets that you can download, print and put together to use with your action figures.
A vast amount of the work already done for you, what more could you ask for.
Unfortunately that was when the initial request changed, it wasn't just" My very own Tardis" my son wanted, it had to have "moving parts and lights" just like his shop bought David Tennant Tardis.
OK, that could be do-able and the next request was lightweight enough to move around, "So I can take it to Grandma's" , ok that shouldn't be too much of a problem either and the last request "It has to look like the real thing", ok that's a given, but out the window went any artistic license and compromise.
So I set about using the AFT Tardis set as a base of construction from which to resize, redraw, increase the accuracy and alter the construction from card stock to something lightweight but more substantial in order to actually become structural.
But for now and to start Section 1 Main Base and Struts , here are some pictures showing the initial setup and construction of the Main Base and Struts which would form the basic skeleton from which to build the remainder.

1. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg
Basic Floor Plan Design drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.

2.Tardis Struts Side Elevation.jpg
Drawing of the Strut Side Elevation scaled to account for figure size, doors, floor levels and relevant to reference material.

3. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg
IMG_20150327_122053.jpgIMG_20150327_122036.jpg
The Main Base was cut from 6mm plywood, using the Basic Floor Plan Design drawing above.
The Struts were routed out by hand from 12mm MDF using the Side Elevation as a template.

IMG_20150407_133506.jpg
4. Landing Floor Panels.jpg
The Landing Floor Panels were cut from 6mm ply using the Basic Floor Plan Design.

5. Landing Temporarily added.jpg
6. Obligatory Check for scale.jpgIMG_20150331_204933.jpg
The obligatory check for scale, or rather "The Doctor surveys the construction progress to date".

7. Strut with Landing Support.jpg
Check done and passed by the Doctor, the installation of the structural support for the landing was installed using 2mm styrene.

IMG_20150407_132242.jpg8. And the rest.jpg
And the remainder of the landing floor supports were installed to the rest of the Struts.

9. Strut Painting.jpg
The Strut painting was undertaken using acrylic paints, upon closer inspection you may notice that there are actually 3 colours sponge applied over the blue basecoat to give texture and depth to try and match the original paintwork effect.

10. Main Base and Landing Painting.jpg
IMG_20150414_101444.jpg
The Main Base and Landing Panels were base coated with acrylics.

So as far as stage 1 Main Base and Struts goes, that all for now folks!

Angelus Lupus

Gotta love the casual way you go from "I redrew the struts" to "routed by hand"  :o
I mean, I could probably draw up the shapes and patterns (I've had a lot of practice at vector graphics) but the leap to making that out of wood, by hand and then many times over? That's next-level skills!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

robajob

Hi Angelus,
                Thank you for your comment, it is really appreciated.
Especially as you have noted that in this day and age of technology potentially doing a lot of the repetitive work for you, that as you have said, those "next level skills" come into use.
Or in other words, I didn't have access to a CnC machine and had to do it all old school.
If you liked those old school skills, wait and see, more is yet to come!
But cheers for noticing!!
Rob.

robajob

"DOCTOR: Oh. My, God! Oh, it's bigger!
RIVER: Well, yes.
DOCTOR: On the inside,
RIVER: We need to concentrate.
DOCTOR: Than it is
RIVER: I know where you're going with this, but I need you to calm down.
DOCTOR: On the outside!
RIVER: You've certainly grasped the essentials.
DOCTOR: My entire understanding of physical space has been transformed! Three-dimensional Euclidean geometry has been torn up, thrown in the air and snogged to death! My grasp of the universal constants of physical reality has been changed forever."

OK Doc, it's only a model after all, so let's continue shall we, strap in coz here is section 2.

Just a quick recap, with some initial reference material sourced and a good head start using AFT's Tardis as a basis the initial design had been drawn up and from this the basic skeleton of the Tardis had been constructed.
Satisfied with the bare bones fitting together nicely and giving the correct overall feel for the Tardis size wise, I was confident to start the fleshing out by constructing some of the key elements in line with the next stage of the design drawings shown below.
I will state now that this is going to be a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey, as I have posted complete sections to keep it simplistic and progressive.
The works were not necessarily undertaken in this completed fashion shown in the pictures, due to the very nature of requiring each element to be partially constructed in order to start the next construction phase. Which obviously, will all eventually be linked together. So some of the detailing stages here were actually undertaken at a later time, enabling me to continue with the construction and fall back to detailing when satisfied with each component and element within the overall construction.
See what I mean about a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey.
Confused, well you won't be after this episode of........
Section 2; Engine compartment + Main Console Floor.

00. Engine Compartment + Main Console.jpg
Basic Console Floor Plan Design drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate elements will fit together and relate to each other in the final assembly.
The green dotted line indicates the Engine Compartment, the blue line indicates the Main Console.

01. Engine Compartment + Struts Side Elevation.jpg
Drawing of the Engine Compartment elements and Support Struts Side Elevation.

IMG_20150421_200622.jpgIMG_20150421_200616.jpg
1. IMG_20150421_235252.jpg
The test pieces for the Main Console and Engine Compartment were constructed using white card.
The Engine Compartment was redesigned and made to check the correct height and angles to account for figure size, opening compartment doors and relevant to reference material.
AFT'S Main Console was scaled up, printed and used as a test for overall size, panel placement and panel basic detail.

2. IMG_20150421_235309.jpg
The test piece Engine Compartment with the clear plastic cup insert from the tube packaging which was used to create the Time Rotor Cylinder later in the project.
Albeit this item is actually the wrong height in comparison to the original, it was an element I chose to use as it fit the bill, was what I had and could be made to fit without compromising the overall structure too much.
The only knock on effect of this was to reduce the overall basement height by 12mm, meaning I had to lose 1 step on the basement steps.

3. IMG_20150421_235402.jpg
Picture showing the opening compartment door on the test piece.
The obligatory check for scale and another inspection by the Doctor!

4. IMG_20150428_000213.jpg
The test pieces for the Engine Compartment were then cut out and constructed from 6mm ply.
The Support Struts for the Console Floor were hand routed using 12mm MDF.

5. IMG_20150428_152012.jpg
7. IMG_20150428_152236.jpg
The Engine Compartment with Support Struts dry fitted and checked.

6. IMG_20150428_151511.jpg
Picture showing the Main Console Floor, which again was cut from 6mm  ply, shown in conjunction with the Support Struts and the Engine Compartment door open for detailing and access later in the project.

8. IMG_20150501_181230.jpg
The Support Struts and Main Console Floor were base coated with acrylics.
The Engine Compartment was detailed to achieve a panel effect on each door by chiseling in the rebate to create the panel surround.
The Engine Compartment was then painted black internally and given a basic wood paint effect externally.

9. IMG_20150501_181418.jpg
Closer shot of the Engine Compartment top showing the paneling, wood effect paintwork and the 2 No. opening doors.

10. IMG_20150501_181437.jpg
Closer shot of the Engine Compartment elements showing the paneling, wood effect paintwork and the 2 No. opening doors.
Also shown in the background is the underside of the Main Console Floor which was painted with acrylics with minor detailing to indicate damage upon installation of pipework, shown later.

11. IMG_20160813_202149.jpg
At a later stage further detailing to the Engine Compartment was undertaken by installation of the brass portholes, which were actually metal washers.
The porthole glass was cut from some clear plastic and painted with green glass paint on 1 side to achieve the desired colour to the glass.

12. IMG_20160813_202243.jpg
13. IMG_20160813_202257.jpg
Closer shot showing 1 of the 2 No. opening doors to the Engine Compartment with yet another metal washer painted brass to create the porthole on the inside of the Engine Compartment.

14. IMG_20160813_202505.jpg
Closer shot with some back lighting showing the green glass brass portholes.

15. IMG_20160824_125347.jpg
The Main Console Floor was painted with acrylics to match the remaining floors and marked out in readiness for the Console Grates at a later date.

16. IMG_20160824_125409.jpg
Detail picture showing the positioning of the required access in the Main Console floor to allow for the lighting to the Side Consoles to be installed via the tubes which will adorn the underside of the Main Console Floor at a later date.

17. IMG_20160824_130059.jpg
Some of the mass of cables and tubes that will adorn the underside of the Main Console Floor.
These were a mixture of electrical cables of various sizes and internet sourced ribbed tubes.
All were painted with acrylics to achieve the desired colour to match the original.
Installation began with the larger tubes and was built up in layers from there.

18. IMG_20160824_124421.jpg
19. IMG_20160824_152619.jpg
20. IMG_20160824_193504.jpg
21. IMG_20160824_213418.jpg
22. IMG_20160825_113531.jpg
23. IMG_20160825_204351.jpg
The above pictures show the installation and build-up of the various wires and tubes at their relevant stages.

24. IMG_20160825_203643.jpg
Completion shots of the Main Console Floor tubes and cables to the underside of the floor showing the intertwining cables to add depth and detail.

25. IMG_20160825_203701.jpg
A 6mm ply support had been installed to support the Main Entrance Floor at a later stage.

26. IMG_20160825_203722.jpg
More close shots of the various tubes and cables.

27. IMG_20160825_203737.jpg
Final Shot of the various tubes and cables.
Some of the larger blue tubes had been positioned to enable future concealed installation of the LED lighting cables to the Side Consoles.

28. IMG_20160826_123756.jpg
Picture of the completed Engine Compartment, Support Struts and underside tubing.

29. IMG_20160826_123816.jpg
Same shot with the Engine Compartment door open which will be detailed at a later date.

30. IMG_20160826_131249.jpg
Engine Compartment with a test of the Time Rotor lighting.

31. IMG_20160826_131316.jpg
33. IMG_20160826_131333.jpg
Picture showing the Engine Compartment with the open doors and the Time Rotor lighting that will be visible inside the compartment, again this was to be detailed at a later date.

So as far as stage 2 Engine Compartment and Main Console Floor goes, that all for now folks!

KIT-KAT

WOW! this is unbelievably spectacular! it looks spot on! you have amazing skills
No, not the mind probe!

robajob

Hi kitkat123,
                   Thank you so much for your comment, I am very pleased that you think it it unbelievably spectacular and that you think it looks spot on, coming from you guys on here, who are the experts, that means an awful lot to me.
Thank you so much for saying my skills are amazing, one tries ones best, for ones little whovians!
Rob.

robajob

"Come on, Rory! It isn't rocket science, it's just quantum physics!
But in this case it actually is rocket science and quantum physics combined, well sort of.
So, continuing with the build thread in sections, here is section 3.

A quick recap, with the aid of some very good reference material and a satisfactory fit on the basic skeleton of the Tardis it was time to start connecting the sections as per the original design drawing.
Section 3; Basement Floor + Stairs.

0. Tardis + Floor Levels.jpg
Basic Side Elevation Design drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate elements will fit together and relate to each other in the final assembly.
I had determined from the start that the Flight Control Tardis would be used for the entrance and that in this instance, unlike the other 5" Tardis' play sets, that the front half would project past the structure to enable the flashing light atop the Tardis to be shown.
The final position of the Tardis was then drawn up in relation to the Main Console Floor. Which in turn related to and would dictate the staircase heights for; Main Console Floor to Landing, from the Main Console Floor to the Dais Floor and from the Dais Floor to the Basement Floor.
These were calculated and checked in relation to the reference material and with these established, the correct dimensions for the steps/stairs for the 3 No. areas could be calculated, again using the reference material to ascertain the correct number of steps to the various areas, all bar the basement, which as explained in the previous post would be lacking 1 step, these could then be drawn up and printed off to use as templates for construction.

1. Tardis Basement + Dais Stairs.jpg
Drawing of the Dais to Basement Steps and Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs Side Elevation to be used as templates.

2. Tardis Landing Stairs.jpg
Drawing of the Main Console Floor to Landing Stairs Side Elevation to be used as a template.

3..jpg
3A..jpg
Pictures showing the Dais floor cut from insulation foam to the correct height with the fluid organic shape from the original design drawing in conjunction with the reference material.
This was one element that had to be undertaken with a bit of trial and error to achieve the correct organic shape and get the steps/stairs to fit into the correct positions in relation to the reference material.

4..jpg
With the Dais Floor cut to shape the Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs and the Dais to Basement Floor Steps could be cut for rough size from the same insulation foam using the templates.

4A..jpg
5..jpg
5A..jpg
The Main Console Floor to Dais Staircase and Dais to Basement Steps were then hand cut using the above templates drawings to achieve the correct number of steps and overall shape.

6..jpg
Picture showing the Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs and the 2 No. Basement steps in position.

7..jpg
7A..jpg
7B..jpg
Pictures showing the Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs and the 2 No. Basement steps in position in readiness for preparation prior to priming.

7C..jpg
7D..jpg
7E..jpg
8..jpg
Pictures showing all steps and stairs glued together where required, preparation undertaken and acrylic primed. Then in dry fit position and how all relate to each other in the final construction.

9..jpg
Picture showing all steps and stairs in dry fit position with priming undertaken and how all relate to each other in the final construction from the front.

10..jpg
A picture showing the detail of the 3 levels and how they interconnect overall.

11..jpg
The obligatory check for scale, clearance under staircase and another inspection by the Doctor!

12..jpg
12A..jpg
12B..jpg
The check for scale and the inspection by the Doctor continues!

13..jpg
13A..jpg
14..jpg
14a..jpg
The completed areas were then base coated using acrylics.

15..jpg
15A..jpg
Pictures showing the Doctor surveying the overall progress to date, Stairs and Steps dry fitted and base coated, the structure is starting to tie together.

So as far as stage 3 Basement Floor + Stairs goes, that's all for now folks!

robajob

"Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink."
So doing just that, let's see what we can see, without blinking never ever.
Oh alright then you can blink, because this part actually does blink, wait and see, the next section of this build thread, section 4.

A recap, using the very good reference material, the basic skeleton of the Tardis was accomplished.
This section is where things start to get real interestin' as the external basic structure gets completed.

Section 4; Tardis Entrance, Corridor + Walkway .

0. Tardis Entrance.jpg
Basic Side Elevation of the Tardis Entrance, Corridor and Walkway drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate 4 No. floor levels will fit together in relation to the Tardis Entrance, Corridor and Walkway.
It had been determined from the outset that the Flight Control Tardis would be used to create the entrance.
But unlike the other available Tardis playsets, this one was going to be somewhat better proportioned and have the lantern atop the Tardis exposed so that it could be seen to be a working light.
To achieve this would mean leaving half the Tardis outside of the main structure, unlike the real stage set and relocating all of the electronics.
By having half the Tardis exposed to the external structure, it would be necessary to elongate the Walkway Corridor to accommodate this fact.
In this instance, I put it down to artistic license, or in real terms, I can't compress time and space like the Doctor does.
Or at least that was what I thought would be an acceptable rational to tell my son.
So hang onto your hats folk's coz this could be a bumpy ride, trying to disassemble an already broken Tardis and make it into something new.
Let the games begin....

1..jpg
To utilise the Flight Control Tardis involved carefully disassembling the Tardis to enable access to all the activation electronics, which were to be usable upon completion of the redesign/refit.

2..jpg
Including the top light, which at the time of construction did not function.

3..jpg
Having removed the internal components, the electronics to the back wall including the speaker, battery compartment and main board were exposed.

4..jpg 4A..jpg
After some very careful removal, cutting and fettling, the 3 No. remaining Tardis walls were free to be incorporated into the Corridor structure.

5..jpg 5A..jpg
With the correct height determined from the design drawings the base for the Tardis and compartment for the relocation of all the necessary electronics was constructed from 6mm ply.
As already stated all of the activation switches to the underside of the Flight Control Tardis had to still function and be accessible, hence the necessity for no top to be incorporated to the structure to allow access from underneath inside the compartment to the flight controls.

6..jpg
Temporary test for fit and position with the electronics roughly placed in their new position, front view.

6A..jpg 7..jpg
6B..jpg
Temporary test for fit and position side and rear views .

8..jpg
The inside of the Flight Control Tardis doors as there were at disassembly.

9..jpg
The inside of the Tardis doors were paneled using 2mm styrene sheet and utilised the old discarded back wall glass panels to complete the doors internally.

10..jpg 10A..jpg
The Tardis was then dry fit to check functionality and the internal box for the telephone was constructed using 2mm styrene sheet.
The initial check of the ribbing to the corridor which was to be undertaken using straws to keep the construction lightweight, due to the extremely tight tolerances the side walls and windows had to be sanded flush to allow for access via the doors without obstruction.

11..jpg
The corridor walls were constructed from 2mm sheet styrene to attach to the Flight Control Tardis walls internally, externally they would match the design drawings and reference material for shape and projection of the corridor into the Tardis interior.

12..jpg
Unfortunately as 1 straw was not of sufficient length, all had to be extended prior to being fitted, hence the purty rainbow effect!

13..jpg
All the straws were individually glued into position with the top and bottom being heat formed to achieve the correct curve prior to glueing, thus enabling correct positioning of the side wall ribbing.

14..jpg
14A..jpg
14B..jpg
The external corridor walls were completed and final shaped to match the profile of the surrounding structure as per the design drawings.
A Corridor Surround was fabricated from 12mm MDF which was clad internally and externally with 2mm styrene sheet to create a further raised frame.
The Tardis doors and the corridor ribbing were painted with acrylics.

15..jpg
15B..jpg
Pictures showing all the individual elements combined to form the Tardis Entrance.
The End of Landing doors were cut from 1mm Styrene sheet and backed with wire mesh to the individual panels.
Note the top panel mesh in a different orientation to the bottom 2, not a mistake but to actually match to the original. It's all in the details, or so they say.

16..jpg 16A..jpg
16C..jpg 16D..jpg
16E..jpg 16F..jpg
16G..jpg
All the individual components were painted with acrylics.

17..jpg
The Corridor Walkway Floor was constructed from a combination of 6mm ply and 2mm styrene sheet to achieve the correct levels to match to the existing Flight Control Tardis floor and enable the correct junction with the Main Console Floor.
The sides of the Walkway Floor could then be formed using 1mm styrene sheet.
All the elements were painted with acrylic paints.

18..jpg
A picture showing the internal details to be attached to the Flight Control Tardis doors to make them more accurate and complete them.
The night latch and keep were fabricated using styrene sheet. The 2 No. door bolts were fabricated using sheet plastic and garden wire.
The wooden pole the keep is temporarily attached to, is actually a cocktail stick, just to give you a proper sense of the scale.

19..jpg
Some more detailing for the Tardis, the original lantern was beaten and worn and required repainting.
The telephone and receiver were constructed from styrene sheet, plastic tubes and heavily modified Lego parts to achieve the desired look of an old telephone.
The telephone cable was left extra-long, to feed into the hollow of the door to enable proper functionality.

20..jpg
20A..jpg20B..jpg20C..jpg20D..jpg
Pictures showing the completed Tardis Entrance, Corridor and Walkway, sides, front and rear views.

21..jpg
A printed inlay to the Corridor Surround was created using publisher and the reference material to enable a something near accurate representation.
All remaining detail parts were painted using acrylics.

21A..jpg21B...jpg21C..jpg21D..jpg
Pictures showing a test of the new Tardis entrance, with a new internal light to add interest and some partial illumination to the corridor.

Test video of the Tardis Entrance and new functional lighting.

So as far as stage 4 Tardis Entrance, Corridor + Walkway goes, that's all for now folks!

robajob

"Oh, now what's this then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon."
Unfortunately I am out of Crayons, but I have got a pencil though and a bit of time so the next thrilling installment in this build thread, section 5.

A recap, using the very good reference material, the basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed with the attachment of the Tardis Entrance as per the original design drawings.
So now to put some meat on them bones.
Section 5; Main Console + Time Rotor.

0. Tardis Console.jpg
Basic plan view of the Main Console drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
The Main Tardis Console shown in blue, the lower level Tardis Engine Compartment shown in green.
This drawing shows how the separate elements will fit together to create the Main Console all surrounding the 1 element that I had from the start, a 60mm clear plastic packaging tube, I thought it might come in handy one day, little did I know just how handy.

0A..jpg0B..jpg0C..jpg0D..jpg
At an earlier stage in the build process, a correctly scaled version of AFT Tardis Main Console was printed onto card stock and used to check the overall size, fit and feel of the proportions in relation to the 5" figures.

1..jpg
After checking it all fitted correctly, this printed AFT Tardis Main Console was then used as a template from which the actual pieces for the Main Console were cut from 2mm styrene sheet, this printed form was also used as a template for the main cut-outs in each of the panels as well.

2..jpg
The cut-outs were cut from the 2mm styrene sheet basic shape to define the exact panel of the Main Console.
Again all of this was undertaken using the plethora of reference material to check position, size and scale relative to each panel.

3..jpg4..jpg5..jpg6..jpg7..jpg
8..jpg
The cut-outs were constructed to the correct aperture using 1mm and 2mm styrene sheet.  
The framing was undertaken using 0.5mm and 2mm styrene sheet cut to the correct overall dimension for each relevant part of the panel.
Each panels detailing was then undertaken using a multitude of sourced parts from model supplies to Lego. Any parts that could not be adapted for size, function and scale were made from scratch using various styrene products. Again referring to all the reference material to try and ensure some resemblance of accuracy.
Brass and plastic tubes of 3mm,1.5mm and 1mm were drilled into the panels in the appropriate location to accommodate the fibre optic lighting to represent the various sized lights on each of the panels.
The fibre optics would be installed at a later date.

9..jpg
A picture showing the 6 No. completed panels with their appropriate accoutrement.
All of the controls function in some way, whether it is a knob, lever, wheel, slider, handle or other type of control.
All the controls were constructed and installed to move and/or function, though at this scale you might need either very small fingers (perfect for child only use, so not much chance of Dad playing with it then) or a pair of tweezers (Ha, Dad will be playing with you after all!).
This in order to try and fulfill the original instruction from my son that it had to have "moving parts and lights."
So at least that was half of the request done!

10..jpg11..jpg12..jpg
The accoutrements were removed from each panel and stored to enable console construction to proceed without any hindrance or risk of damage.
The 6 No. blank panels were temporarily connected with tape to test for fit.
The Main Console top ring was constructed from 2mm styrene sheet and the fascia panels were marked using templates and hand sanded to shape.

13..jpg14..jpg15..jpg16..jpg
With the correct permanent fitment of the 6 No. panels, the edge framing was undertaken to each one using 2mm styrene sheet with all the joints marked and cut by hand.
Once this was completed the fascias were also fitted to match flush to the leading edge.
All joints were filled and lightly sanded to achieve a smooth finish.

17..jpg
Simple check using the design drawing for size.

18..jpg18A..jpg18B..jpg
With the completion of the top of the Main Console, the underside of the console was constructed in a similar fashion by firstly creating a cardboard mock-up and then transferring this to 2mm styrene sheet.
The underside was constructed to slip inside of the top part of the console and retain separation if required to replace the consoles internal LEDs, which were to be installed at a later time, if necessary in the future.
The base of the Time Rotor which retains not only the central column, but supports the Main Console as well, was constructed from 2 No. plastic lids of appropriate size, which were both cut to accept the 60mm packaging tube. The bottom flange is a plumbing washer.
Upon this base 2mm styrene sheet was cut to create a hexagonal ring and support struts.
This had to be of sturdy construction, as it and the packaging tube will eventually be taking the strain of the Main Console as well as the completed top mounted Whirlygig at a later stage.

18C..jpg18D..jpg18E..jpg18F..jpg
A quick check back on the main structural construction, with the assistance of Captain Jack, to make sure that the completed basic construction of the Main Tardis Console fits the bill for overall size and height, in relation to the plethora of reference screen grabs.

19..jpg
This picture shows the top and bottom elements of the internal mechanism of the Time Rotor construction.
The circular elements were cut from 2mm and 1mm styrene sheet and drilled to receive the hollow tubes.
The hollow tubes, are to state the obvious, plastic Biros with the ink cartridges removed.
Every element of the Biro was used; the conical tops are the plastic tips cut down, sanded to shape and drilled in readiness for EL Wire, the rings to the base of the tubes are the Biro lids, again cut down to create the base connection, the Biro end stoppers were drilled out to receive EL Wire and were used on the base parts of the Time Rotor.
The red and purple centres were from a couple of used large felt tip pens; these again were cut, drilled, shaped and sanded to the desired overall shape.

20..jpg
The top of the packaging tube was cut to accept the Time Rotor construction tubes.
Temporary dry fit of all elements with the EL Wire roughly placed in position.

21..jpg
Temporary dry fit and test of the EL Wire.

22..jpg
A picture of the Monitor rig assembly.
The main support ring was another plastic lid, reinforced internally with 2mm styrene sheet cut to create an internal support ring.
The top edge of the lid received a 1mm strip, internally and externally, which was set below the external ring of the lid to create a lip top and bottom.
The monitors were constructed from 1mm and 2mm layered and hand shaped styrene sheet, rectangular tubing, circular tubing, model supply washers and fine electrical cable.
The handles to each monitor were made using paperclips bent to shape.
The mechanics of the construction were as such as close to the real thing as I could make it.
This was to enable the completed monitors to clip onto the raised lip of the main support ring and so rotate around the ring, as do the real ones.
In other words, the monitors move as well.
Unfortunately there is no adjustment for the locking mechanisms to adjust the height/angle of the monitors.
So in this case it really does have to be, 1 size fits all!

Test video of the Time Rotor EL Wire.

So as far as stage 5 Main Console + Time Rotor goes, that's all for now folks!

robajob

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting"
So getting straight to the point the next construction stage in this build thread, section 6.

A recap, the basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed with the attachment of the Tardis Entrance, the meat was starting to go on the bones by way of the construction of the Main Console and Time Rotor as per the original design drawings.
So now it was time to put a crown on top of that Time Rotor...
Section 6; Whirly Gig + Top Rotor Mount.

1..jpg
Basic reverse plan view of the Whirly Gig drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the 3 No. separate tiered Whirly Gig rings will combine as if looking up from the floor and all be in alignment.
This combined construction will terminate in the Top Rotor Mount, which again will transfer all the weight down the Time Rotor tube to the Main Console Floor.
At least that was the working theory with which to start, oh and by the way it had to move as well, rotate just  a little!

2..jpg
Basic drawing showing the individual rings from which templates were made and used in the construction process.
These drawings were a good reference during the construction to ensure a good final fit.

3..jpg
Drawing showing the final element of the Top Rotor Mount or crown.
This would be the main element to transfer the combined weight of the completed Whirly Gig evenly down the Time Rotor tube.

4..jpg
Albeit the Top Rotor Mount had to be robust to take the above mentioned weight, it also had to be light weight to reduce the total weight of the Whirly Gig.
So what better medium to use than our friend, insulation foam.
The foam was cut to rough size and shape using the design drawing and then honed by sanding to the correct profile and overall shape. It was then coated with 4 No. coats of PVA to strengthen the foam and give some rigidity.
The ribs and ring were cut from 2mm styrene sheet.
This element would also be required to allow the EL Wire through to light the Time Rotor and Engine Compartment.
So later in the build, the central foam core was hollowed out and the 2 mm ring was drilled to allow the Time Rotor tube construction holding the EL Wire through into the correct position.

5..jpg
Check for fit and now Captain Jack has taken over the role of inspector. So he surveys the progress.

6..jpg
The design drawings were used to create the working construction templates.

7..jpg
The individual rings were constructed from 4 No. pieces of templated 2mm Sheet styrene.
These are the bottom of the tiered rings, the process was repeated to create the plain tops for each ring as well.

8..jpg
The bottom rings were drilled to create the light openings, which would be installed at a later date.
Alignment marks were drawn to provide construction reference.

9..jpg9A..jpg
The top and bottom rings for each tier where then sheathed using 0.5mm styrene sheet.
The ribbing was constructed using 1mm and 2mm, you guessed it, sheet styrene.
Again all of this was undertaken using the plethora of reference material to check position, size and overall scale relative to each tier, including the notch joint at the rib junction and overhang. Details, details, details!

10..jpg
The internal frame work of the rings was undertaken using plastic electrical conduit.
Hollow, light weight, easy to hide all those lighting cables in and retain access for installation as well.
Top and bottom support struts were cut from 2mm styrene sheet and installed to each ring in alignment with the outside ribbing to strengthen the structures.

11..jpg
Check for fit and the Top Rotor Mount was completed with the installation of the final collar, which would connect to the Time Rotor Tube, constructed from a plastic lid with a 2mm styrene sheet support collar.
The holes for the EL Wire tube construction of the Time Rotor were drilled through and into the foam core of the Top Rotor Mount.

12..jpg
Plan view to check alignment.

13..jpg
Side view showing the tier effect.

14..jpg
Picture showing the installation with the central spine to hold it all together, which was created using plastic overflow pipe.
This pipe would also house the cables from the Time Rotor EL Wires as it transitioned to its battery pack, as well as the inter tier transition cables for the lights of the Whirly Gig, both power supplies would be mounted in the top tier of the Whirly Gig with access, at a later date.

15..jpg
Plan view showing in more detail the hollowed out core of the foam Top Rotor Mount and tube/conduit access for all of the lighting cables.

16..jpg16A..jpg16B..jpg
A few close-up shots of all the elements dry fitted to check for fitment and alignment.

16C..jpg16D..jpg16E..jpg
A few pictures showing the whole construction with the Top Rotor Mount and Whirly Gig elements in position to give the overall feel for size and scale.

17..jpg
A real close-up shot of the alignment on the Whirly Gig and Top Rotor Mount detail.

18..jpg
The individual elements of the Whirly Gig were then painted using acrylics.

19..jpg
The light openings received frosted plastic to glaze them and render some diffusion for the lights.

22A..jpg22B..jpg22C..jpg
The LED string lights were then fitted to each tier of the Whirly Gig.
A few pictures of the completed individual Whirly Gig ring lights being tested.

Test video of the Whirly Gig lighting.

20..jpg21..jpg21A..jpg
The transfer cables were stored within the conduit frame construction for later permanent connection.
Using some extremely good internet reference material the Whirly Gig symbols were resized for scale and fit, these were then printed, cut out and adhered to the sheathing of the Whirly Gig.

23..jpg
Side shot of the completed tiers with symbols.

So as far as stage 6 Whirly Gig + Top Rotor Mount goes, that's all for now folks!

robajob

"I'll tell you one thing. Being with you keeps a girl fit.
Fun to be with and good for you. Gotta be just what the doctor ordered."

So in the vein hope that this is fun, it must be good for you, so let's carry on, in this episode of  "Doctor Who the next section", see what I did there, a bit like Star Trek the Next Generation, except it's Doctor Who and it's small plastic bits and it's not based in Hollywood, oh what the heck, here's build thread section 7.

The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced by the construction of the Main Console, Time Rotor, Whirly Gig and the Top Mount, all as per the original design drawings.
So let's add a bit more into the cooking pot...
Section 7; Side Consoles + Chairs.

0. Tardis Console Floor Main Console Side Consoles + Chairs.jpg
Basic plan view of the Main Console Floor with the positions of the stairs and Entrance marked. Showing the minimum width of chair to maximise the size of the Side Console, drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale with a small compromise on accuracy.
In order to achieve maximise Side Console size to accommodate all the controls, the small gap between the chairs seen on the original set had to be lost.  

1. Tardis Side Consoles + Elements.jpg
Basic drawing showing the chairs, console construction, console legs and layout of the individual controls on the Side Consoles.
There is one slight difference between the consoles, which is accounted for later in this thread.
Templates were made and used in the construction process.
These drawings were a good reference during the construction to ensure a good and correct final fit of all those controls, it was a bit busy to say the least, hence maximising the console size to more accurately space everything out and still enable functionality where applicable.
That means yes, yet again and in line with request made by my son, the Side Consoles "have moving parts" as well.

2..jpg
So using the templates, the Chairs were constructed from insulation foam, again, trying to keep the weight down.
The insulation foam was rough cut and hand sanded to the desired shape.
The insulation foam then received 4 No. coats of PVA to increase rigidity.
The ribs on the chairs were individually cut from 1.5mm cardboard sheet I already had in stock.
Once affixed to the insulation foam, all received another 2 No. coats of PVA to seal, protect and increase rigidity.

3..jpg
Picture showing the bird's mouth detail to the bottom of the Chairs and the smooth curvature of the back.

4A..jpg4..jpg
Dry test fit to check for position in relation to the design drawing and elements.
Again, bloody Captain Jack was on the scene, I think he's got his eye on this Tardis.
Survey over, the works progressed onto the next element.

5..jpg7..jpg
The Side Consoles were cut from 2mm styrene sheet as per the design drawings with the backs left off to allow access to install the fibre optics required to illuminate the console controls and lights.
This would be installed at a later date and was pre-cut from 1 mm styrene sheet.
The Side Console legs sides were cut from 2 mm styrene sheet, the front and rear components were cut from 0.5 mm sheet styrene to enable a smooth curve, which matches the chairs.
These were constructed hollow to enable the installation of the required LEDs from the Main Console Floor underside tubing referred to earlier in the build thread. The LEDs and fibre optics would join inside the legs themselves, meaning that the installation of the fibre optics and LEDs could be undertaken separately at a later date.

8..jpg
Dry test fit of the Side Consoles and Chairs to check for spacing.

8A..jpg9..jpg
He's at it again; no sooner is something built than Captain Jack turns up to check it out!

10..jpg10A..jpg10B..jpg
Captain Jack checking out the overall layout and heights, has he got nothing better to do!

11..jpg11A..jpg
Customer satisfaction achieved, it was back to the model making of all the parts for the 2 No. Side Consoles as per the design drawings.
Shown here are 2 of the controls that were hand made from styrene sheet, brass and plastic tubing.
As there were only 2 No. of each it wasn't worth moulding and casting, the central controls were constructed to rotate.

12..jpg12A..jpg
Pictures showing the various other controls and switches that were constructed from the usual suspects, except for two of the items, the one control shown far left bottom, was constructed by cutting and affixing 2 No. Allen key bits to achieve the desired result and the far bottom right was an attempt at 3D printing undertaken by others.
This time, as there is a lot of repetition on the consoles, it was worth moulding and casting the individual controls.

13..jpg
Moulding and casting some of the parts for the Side Console controls as well as other knobs and minutia for other parts of the project.

14..jpg
Close up of the cast resin various bits and pieces for the project.

15..jpg15A..jpg15B..jpg
Dry fit of the controls in relation to the design drawing.
The black crosses indicate where lights were to be installed, again as per the drawing.

16..jpg
The holes for the various sized lights were drilled out of the Side Consoles as well as creating slots for further lighting access.
This further lighting access is what the small cast rectangles are for. What exactly the 1mm and 2 mm brass tubing that was all cut by hand, is actually for, will become more apparent in the next couple of pictures.

17..jpg17A..jpg
Et voilĂ , the resin cast pieces are the bases of the switches on the Side Consoles.
The brass tubes are to create the raised flick switches and sunken light tubes for the fibre optics to travel through.
The pound coin is just for size reference.

18..jpg
Test fit of the completed pieces into the pre-cut slots, again checking position and fit.

19..jpg20..jpg21..jpg22..jpg22A..jpg
Dry fit of the remaining Side Console controls with the necessary brass tube to contain the fibre optics for the remaining lights.
And to address the one slight difference between the consoles, if you look really closely at the plan view picture of the dry fit test above, you will see 3 No. round protruding knobs to the right hand side of the consoles, 1 side has a round bottom flange, the other side has square bottom flanges, it is more apparent when they are painted. Big deal huh, but details are the key!

So as far as stage 7 Side Consoles + Chairs goes, that's all for now folks!

galacticprobe

eyepopping(medium).jpg
OH, MY GLOB!

Good grief, man! That's incredible! (Now we know just how insane you really are!)

We also know how lucky your son is. The level of detail and accuracy you put into this is staggering!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

I have to agree with Dino on this, you are one heck of a craftsman with a lot of paitents to be able to do those fiddly bits, I would have lost it ages ago.

Well done to you sir!

Chris.
Chris.

Angelus Lupus

Everyone has already said it, but that is an amazing level of detail, quality and functionality and all at such a small scale, too!  :o
We're all jealous - of you, your skill, and your son.. let's just hope he doesn't start wondering how hard it would be for Dad to scale this up to full size!  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

robajob

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 21, 2017, 12:30 am
eyepopping(medium).jpg
OH, MY GLOB!

Good grief, man! That's incredible! (Now we know just how insane you really are!)

We also know how lucky your son is. The level of detail and accuracy you put into this is staggering!

Dino.

Thanks for the comment Dino, it is really appreciated.
Well never let it be said that I am actually not a mad man with a box! The things we do for our little Whovians!!
I am so pleased that you like the level of detail and accuracy, if you think this is staggering, wait to you see the detail shots of the main console!!!
Rob.