Jun 21, 2024, 01:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door Sign Handles

Started by willgillies, Jun 06, 2024, 08:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

willgillies

I was looking at various TARDIS props over the years and, I was surprised it seems most of the time in the classic era, it seemed the TARDIS didn't have one. even in the JNT Era, there were episodes where the door signs appeared with no handles. I expect it's my early years as a fan, my default is to expect to see Door Sign Handles on most Props, excluding the Brahcacki between 1968 to 1976 (the 1st Black sign). It was one of those "you expect it to be there, and your mind adds it when you remember it."  or if we must, yet another instance of "The memory cheats". I have a similar thing with door locks, my default is to put it on the right door. Even when I drew a Brachaki 63 recently, I added a lock and put it on the left door and my brain said it looked WRONG, despite photo evidence from this very forum. The mind is a funny thing.

So I saw Scarfwear started a Door sign topic, and it seems mostly to focus on different fonts, etc. So I did a search. I didn't see a topic on the door handles, except in the workshop. I figure if this is redundant, one of our fine moderators will move or delete the topic. On the other hand, if people want to add discussion of Door handles like on the main doors, locks an keys, by all means.

Mainly I'd like to talk about when the TARDIS door sign had a Handle or went Handle-less.

So if I am not mistaken the first time we see a Handle on the door sign is in the Invasion. Am I correct?

dr hue

Jun 06, 2024, 09:26 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2024, 09:32 am by dr hue
This is an image from the end of The Firemaker ( ep 4 of first story )

and handles can be clearly seen. Also this is the most Met Type style of box ever with white sign door and windows and Fresnel beacon and gloss paint!

fire-ep-4-met-box-jr.png

willgillies

Wonderful, I looked at Episode 1 of Unearthly Child, I didn't consider any mid-story alterations apart from War Machines. Now you mention it, Clayton Hickman mentioned the Firemaker box looking different. Must look into it more. Thanks for your contribution.

willgillies

Quote from: dr hue on Jun 06, 2024, 09:26 amThis is an image from the end of The Firemaker ( ep 4 of first story )

and handles can be clearly seen. Also this is the most Met Type style of box ever with white sign door and windows and Fresnel beacon and gloss paint!

fire-ep-4-met-box-jr.png

It looks more like it did in the Pilot episode.

Rassilons Rod

The dematerisation shot is reused from the pilot.

The alterations happened after the pilot shoot and before the remount of episode 1.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

drgrackle

The original prop was built in 1963 with handles, and shots were filmed for An Unearthly Child's episode 4 "The Firmaker", which wound up being used as Rassilons Rod mentioned. The box was refurbished before re-recording into the as-we-see-it An Unearthly Child box. The next time we see handles on the box would The Invasion (season 6), where the 'pull to open' sign receives a handle as well as the right hand door. Only two stories later, the 'pull-to-open' sign was replaced with the black with white text piece, which itself had a small finger-sized handle. The right-hand door's handle remained on the box from 1968 to 1976, pretty much right up until the box was retired. The Newbery during it's prime never had handles, and the TYJ Mark I never had handles, but the Mark II did, and the Mark I received handles when it was refurbished sometime around the mid 80s.