News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Revenge Of The Cybermen Costume Build

Started by elkad, Jul 13, 2017, 05:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Jul 13, 2017, 05:00 pm Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 05:06 pm by elkad
Reference: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7780.msg98339#msg98339

At the moment I'm gathering up a shopping list of items to make my "Revenge of the Cyberman" costume.

I found a screen grate for holding odds & ends, at a Goodwill store, & thought it would look grate for part of the chest unit.

Revenge Cyber Suit (1).JPG

Ignore the background  ::)
Revenge Cyber Suit (2).JPG

(If anyone's interested my shirt says "INTERNET WAS DOWN SO THOUGHT I'D COME OUTSIDE TODAY" ;D )

Angelus Lupus

Jul 14, 2017, 10:13 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 10:13 am by Angelus Lupus
Cool find! The perfect look (with some tubing/circuits behind), and just the right size!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

elkad

Jul 16, 2017, 06:22 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017, 06:24 pm by elkad
I got some dryer duct for the costumes arm & leg joints. I cut 18 rings out of the pack & cut it all in half. I forget were I heard or read this but, it's suppose to use Velcro to attach the piece around the arms & legs. After trying to pull the duct apart, it's like a small bear trap. How do I apply or attach Velcro to the cut I made?  
Do I sew it on with a little silver duct tape to hide the gap I opened?

Revenge Cyber Suit (3).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (4).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (5).JPG

galacticprobe

Jul 17, 2017, 04:05 am #3 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 04:05 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: elkad on Jul 16, 2017, 06:22 pm
After trying to pull the duct apart, it's like a small bear trap. How do I apply or attach Velcro to the cut I made?  
Do I sew it on with a little silver duct tape to hide the gap I opened?

I've looked through all of the reference images in the Reference Topic, and those joints look like they've got lots of crinkling on the outer edges. This could possibly be where the velcro closure was. If it is, then it looks like they covered up the join with some of that metal duct tape. Unfortunately without being able to see how the attached the velcro under the tape, there's no way of knowing for certain (unless the costume designer is still with us and can answer that question, or a surviving costume is on display where you can get close enough for a good look-see).

But with the metal duct tape hiding the joint, sewing the velcro in place should work well enough. (The hart part is going to be pressing that needle through the velcro - unless they've made velcro easier to sew on since I sewed a patch for my Comm Badge onto my 'DS9'/'Voyager' jumpsuit back in the late 1990s.)

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Jul 22, 2017, 03:34 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 03:35 pm by elkad
Even after a short time working at Dunhams, http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7854.msg99373#msg99373 , I got a little money to spend out of it & got myself a silver spandex bodysuit for the costume. (I know its not a diving suit like in the episode, but It's less expensive than the hundred dolor range suit, I would have spent all my money in one suit.)

s-l1600.jpg

Now I just need to buy some piping, make the chest unit, helmet, pipe connectors, paint some silver shoes, gloves & make a belt. (anyone know how to transfer the measurements of the helmet to a flat surface to bend foam pad sections?)

Rassilons Rod

Of course it could also double as a Raston Warrior Robot  ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 23, 2017, 04:25 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017, 04:53 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 22, 2017, 03:38 pm
Of course it could also double as a Raston Warrior Robot  ;)

Marc, you're in my head again! ;D

Elkad, take a look at these:

Amazon: Outdoor Boots - These come with a silver bottom, so you'd only need to use silver fabric paint on the top part, and they're not expensive - about $31 US. (You can Google Silver Moon Boots, or look for them on eBay, and they're out there, but they're expensive!);

Amazon: Silver Gloves - There are 111 pages of hits for "silver gloves", but already some nice ones on Page 1 that should work well for this, with some being less than $15 US;

Amazon: Silver Belt - Again this one returned loads of hits (400 pages!), but there are a few possibilities already on Page 1 and again, not expensive at all.

I hope some of this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Jul 29, 2017, 05:00 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2017, 05:02 pm by elkad
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 23, 2017, 04:25 am
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 22, 2017, 03:38 pm
Of course it could also double as a Raston Warrior Robot  ;)

Marc, you're in my head again! ;D

Elkad, take a look at these:

Amazon: Outdoor Boots - These come with a silver bottom, so you'd only need to use silver fabric paint on the top part, and they're not expensive - about $31 US. (You can Google Silver Moon Boots, or look for them on eBay, and they're out there, but they're expensive!);

Amazon: Silver Gloves - There are 111 pages of hits for "silver gloves", but already some nice ones on Page 1 that should work well for this, with some being less than $15 US;

Amazon: Silver Belt - Again this one returned loads of hits (400 pages!), but there are a few possibilities already on Page 1 and again, not expensive at all.

I hope some of this helps.

Dino.

Thanks for the sujestions  ;D

elkad

Jul 29, 2017, 05:12 pm #8 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2017, 06:02 pm by elkad
Wile waiting on my suit to arrive in the mail, I started working on the belt, witch is a combination of silver panels & tube on the top & bottom of the belt.

Revenge Cyber Belt.jpg

I'm making the panels out of silver duct tape & card board. (about 30 panels, 2" square) The tube top & bottom, I'm torn between foam insulation tube for windows or silver spray panted plastic tube.

Revenge Cyber Suit (6).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (7).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (8).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (9).JPG

elkad

By the way, I looked at the screencaps for the chest unit screen panel. It should be a screen mesh tucked under itself & glued on a box. So Im going to have to pitch the idea of using the mesh panel I found, seen in the first image I posted.  :-\

elkad

Aug 03, 2017, 06:18 pm #10 Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017, 06:27 pm by elkad
I got some flex tubing for the head piece & some craft jars that attach to each other, for the chest piece belly button.

Revenge Cyber Suit (17).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (18).JPG

Revenge Cyber Suit (10).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (11).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (12).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (13).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (14).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (15).JPG

I painted a cardboard sheet & screen door mesh cut out for the chest unit screen yesterday. I'm waiting for the parts to dry from my black coat on the cardboard panel & sliver coat on the screen mesh.
I'm going to have two cardboard panels to wrap screen around to make the screen panel. The second panel is for stacking & no need to be painted.

Revenge Cyber Suit (16).JPG

For reference, to see if got the size of the panel right.

Revenge Cyber Suit (19).JPG

elkad

Aug 05, 2017, 05:32 pm #11 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2017, 05:45 pm by elkad
Rapped the screen around the glued together cardboard & taped it down.

Revenge Cyber Suit (20).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (21).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (22).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (23).JPG

I cut out a tape circle for the belly button container thingy so the silver paint wouldn't splash.

Revenge Cyber Suit (24).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (25).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (26).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (27).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (28).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (29).JPG

Now to make the side panels, an inch on one end & sloped down to half on the other.

Revenge Cyber Suit (30).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (31).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (32).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (33).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (34).JPG

Back to the belly button thingy to make small rods & eventually fake circuit resistors underneath.

Revenge Cyber Suit (35).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (36).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (37).JPG

BTW: Just got my suit in the mail. ;D

elkad

Aug 08, 2017, 01:18 pm #12 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 01:24 pm by elkad
My luck sucks  >:(

I must of missed the selection box in buying the suit. I bought a small size suit.

I can ether send this suit back & select a larger one, or I can get my money back & go with my second option of buying a painters suit & color it silver.

(Coloring the painters suit, will spray paint work OK or do I specifically have to use a fabric paint? I don't care for flaking paint off the suit.) 

elkad

Aug 08, 2017, 01:41 pm #13 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 02:11 pm by elkad
Back to work.

I tried making fake resister circuits from 3/16 wood dowel. A set of 40 for the moment. It looks good on the belly button circuit.

Revenge Cyber Suit (38).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (39).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (40).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (41).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (44).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (47).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (48).JPG

I used the screen bin as a drying rack for my glued craft resisters.
I tried using them for the random scattered resisters in the chest unit & found after making a set in a square cardboard sheath, there to big & had to make another set of resisters with a smaller wood dowel. Doing this you have to have a steady hand to drill the center out with the smallest drill bit I have.

Revenge Cyber Suit (50).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (51).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (52).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (53).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (55).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (56).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (57).JPGRevenge Cyber Suit (58).JPG

(Your thoughts, you think I should go threw making pins on the round circuits or just glue them to the board? No one will see the the pins threw the chest window.)

Revenge Cyber Suit (54).JPG

"AND HERE WE SEE MY DEAR BRO MODELING THE START OF HIS NEW COSTUME. LOOK HOW ECSTATIC HE FEELS LADY'S & GENTLEMEN."  ;D

Revenge Cyber Suit (49).JPG

ThePuzzledBoy

Aug 08, 2017, 02:23 pm #14 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 02:26 pm by ThePuzzledBoy
I'm digressing here from the topic at hand, but your brother kinda looks like Doug Walker...

Especially with the face he's putting on in that picture....

- Hunter
ThePuzzledboy - a cosplayer who needs his own TARDIS and console.....