Apr 20, 2024, 05:06 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Cellar

Started by shrewd ape, Jul 05, 2017, 09:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

shrewd ape

I needed to build a sound recording 'voice over' booth in my cellar to replace one I'd ripped out. I got carried away on a theme and using some frame grabs of Tom Baker's Tardis and guessing quite a bit I managed to build a small sound studio that is genuinely bigger on the inside. I realised I needed to be able to contact the voice over artists from my upstairs (less soundproof) studio, so I added an Ericsson phone into the door (I know this isn't right, but I was guessing a bit by now). Since discovering the forum I realise I could have been much more accurate, but perhaps my next build can be more precise.Cellar Tardis_2.jpg

I didn't have enough wood, but had a load of old, left over, plaster board and some insulated boards for sound-proofing.

Cellar Tardis_6.jpg

It even inspired me to plaster the cellar roof! I had to slope it down slightly so that it looked like the Tardis was jammed - having not fitted well into the low ceiling-ed cellar.

Cellar Tardis_8.jpgCellar Tardis_12.jpgCellar Tardis_14.jpgCellar Tardis_16.jpgCellar Tardis_20.jpgCellar Tardis_22.jpgCellar Tardis_23.jpgCellar Tardis_24.jpg

Obviously as this is my first 'build' and I did'n't really have a clue what I was doing other than making it as practical and functional as possible as well as being a nod to the Doctor. Please be gentle!
Dave

BioDoctor900

That's quite a clever idea, and I love the way it looks like is smashed through the ceiling

BioDoctor900

russellsuthern

Agreed!
That looks brilliant!

I agree with Biodoc, love the "crash landing" look of the build.

Absolutely inspired!

Well done!!

Russell

The14thDr

I agree with the above comments: this looks great!! I especially love the whole "landed-halfway-through-the-ceiling" look you've got going on there - it's very effective, and something I wish they would explore more in the show (it would make for some fantastic comedy at the very least). That reminds me of the behind the scenes photo from this year's Knock Knock, where they put wooden wedges underneath the TARDIS to stabilise the prop despite it only being on the slightest of inclines. ::)

Sorry, a bit off-topic there. Now where was I? :P Ah yes, thats right. A magnificent build, and I really love the bigger on the inside effect (and is that a certain scarf and floppy hat I spot peeking out from behind the door? ;))
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

davidnagel

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh
Regards
David

shrewd ape

Thanks for the positive comments. The most complicated bit about this wonky  build was getting the doors to open (the left one is locked in place and can be removed by sliding it into the wider gap to the right). The right hand door is hinged and has a sloping top at an angle accross the window to allow it to swing without hitting the ceiling. As the build is actually a sound booth (it isn't totally sound proof - instead it allows for 'dead' sound to be recorded) the doors are about 4inches thick and weigh quite a bit. Not having to make a lid for the Tardis was a luxury - but now its got me itching to make anotherthat is free standing and from wood. In that case I'll have to make the lid, so I suppose I should start researching and gathering information on here for the next build!
cheers,
Dave