Apr 19, 2024, 06:47 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Keys: The Doctor

Started by Terrasolo, Jul 08, 2017, 11:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jul 24, 2017, 06:15 am #45 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017, 06:16 am by galacticprobe
The key Tom Baker is wearing in that grab from "Robot" can't be the one Lis is holding in that photo. In the "Robot" grab we're seeing the back of the key, and there are clearly SIX circles representing the Constellation of Kasterborous. The key Lis is holding has only FIVE circles on it, so it's missing one of the circles in the Constellation. (The one seen here in "Robot" has a circle pattern that matches the Pertwee and Mooncrest versions - slightly different with the alignment of the circles, but there are still six.)

So the five-circle key that Lis is holding could very well have been a parting gift to her as Cardinal Hordriss suggested.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

Jul 24, 2017, 02:31 pm #46 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017, 02:31 pm by Angelus Lupus
Quote from: hrb on Jul 24, 2017, 12:24 am
That's because the dots are located on the back, the pattern you are seeing is of the front.

Oh I know which side I'm looking at - my comparison image was more to prove that the shape didn't match. Plus I couldn't quickly find a nice picture of the Pertwee, Baker 1&2 key backs all nicely lined up like in Terrasolo's original image. But, as Cardinal Hordriss and Galacticprobe said, you only have to look at the other pictures in this thread to see the dots a clearly no match to a screen used key.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

I don't know much about TARDIS keys, but I do know that in the picture where Liz is holding up the key she looks absolutely gorgeous!

( Best companion ever...)

Russ

Angelus Lupus

I'm still sad we never got to see her finish The Sarah Jane Adventures  :'(
To think, we were once so spoiled as to have three concurrent Whoniverse shows: SJA for the kids (even if we all watched it too) DW for the whole family and TW for the grown-ups... *wistful sigh*
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Cardinal Hordriss

I think that morning show was a step too far though... Totally Doctor Who, that was it. Plus that K9 show. I think they overdid it. Tacky merchandise everywhere. Even merch has ground to a halt now of course, I mean some repainted and reboxed figures and a larva lamp, next to nothing from the last two seasons. CO have just renewed their license for Doctor Who... probably just for the next sonic design in a couple of years. I wouldn't mind some Dalek repaints in the 3.75" line having said that.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jul 25, 2017, 05:24 am #50 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 05:25 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jul 24, 2017, 11:49 pm
CO have just renewed their license for Doctor Who... probably just for the next sonic design in a couple of years.

I would love to see CO get the go-ahead from Nick Briggs and Paul McGann from Big Finish to release their "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor sonic. Fans everywhere with talent (unlike me) are building amazing replicas of that one. So for those that don't have the talent to build one of those versions, I would love to CO come out with one.

I wouldn't mind some Dalek repaints in the 3.75" line having said that.

CH, if you or anyone else gets the chance to speak with Paul McGann or Nick Briggs at a convention, and convince them there is a market for that "Dark Eyes" sonic screwdriver and that CO would be the ones to produce it at a reasonable cost, then you can have all of the Daleks you want! (Personally, they creep me out, but you can have them. ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 25, 2017, 05:24 am
CO have just renewed their license for Doctor Who... probably just for the next sonic design in a couple of years.

I would love to see CO get the go-ahead from Nick Briggs and Paul McGann from Big Finish to release their "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor sonic. Fans everywhere with talent (unlike me) are building amazing replicas of that one. So for those that don't have the talent to build one of those versions, I would love to CO come out with one.
Dino.

I don't remember that sonic?? when, where was it & who made it? Is there a build post that we can see how & what it was made from?

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 25, 2017, 05:24 am
I wouldn't mind some Dalek repaints in the 3.75" line having said that.

CH, if you or anyone else gets the chance to speak with Paul McGann or Nick Briggs at a convention, and convince them there is a market for that "Dark Eyes" sonic screwdriver and that CO would be the ones to produce it at a reasonable cost.

Dino.

I'd like to see the 3.75'figures that they have done, done in the 5' size that aren't available. I bought a 3.75" Ice Warrior accidentally, thinking it was 5' & it doesn't have the detail that the others do. But back to topic, sorry for straying.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Jul 25, 2017, 05:53 am #52 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
Chris, that sonic was from one of the Big Finish Audio Adventures. McGann is pictured on the cover art with that sonic, wearing his outfit from "Night Of The Doctor". The reference for that one is here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2391.0.

Oblivion did a great build diary on it here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2807.0. (He's great on photos, but a man of few words.) He's got more photos of the finished build here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6242.0.

Weta (not sure who they are, other than a PBS TV station in the US - WETA, though I doubt it's them) built the original - the one and only, you might say - and McGann as far as I know has custody of it. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.) The sonic was made just for him to pose with, and his pose for that cover art is (I think) the one in the Reference thread (with many thanks to Kingpin for getting those great photos, and to Paul McGann for being so generous with letting fans handle and photograph the sonic).

Dino.

Cardinal Hordriss

WETA did all the models and props etc. for The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jul 26, 2017, 04:20 am #54 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2017, 04:20 am by galacticprobe
And a whole lot more, according to their web site (WETA Workshop).

Thanks for that info, CH! I'd have never been able to find out more about them if not for that.

Dino.

galacticprobe

Jul 27, 2017, 05:57 am #55 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2017, 05:58 am by galacticprobe
I know this isn't a TARDIS key... yet ;), but the wife found it on some web site and thought it would make a great TARDIS or console key for someone's TARDIS:
key.jpg
I don't know where she found it, or what it's for. It's made in Italy, though (you can see that much on the key), but beyond that, I have no idea. I do think it would be a great TARDIS key. We've got the two versions of the Spade/Ankh key, and the 7th Doctor's key (Classic Series), and then the TVM version of the Spade/Ankh key. So why not have some special key like this at some point in the New Series?

It looks relatively easy enough to make ("relatively" being the operative word), so anyone could make this for their TARDIS, and I think (the Made in Italy aside) it would be really great for someone's console key... if their console has a key.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Jul 27, 2017, 06:52 am #56 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 06:39 am by rassilonsrod
Seen similar ones on the continent. They are deadlock keys.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2017, 04:42 am #57 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 06:39 am by rassilonsrod
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 27, 2017, 06:52 am
They are deadlock keys.

Well, that rules out ever using the sonic screwdriver to open a door that's been locked with one of these babies!

Dino.

Terrasolo

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jul 22, 2017, 10:20 pm
Quote from: Terrasolo on Jul 08, 2017, 12:10 pm
And Liz Sladen showing off her own TARDIS key, which appears to be the Baker 1 key. (The rounded ends on the arm appear to be camera flash reflections to me)

04-Baker-01-Ankh-Liz-Sladen-Key-Photo-Unknown.jpg

Sorry to double post but just noticed...

RE the rounded ends, if you zoom in and look at the shadow it casts on her neck the ends do appear rounded.

Well, I'm very late getting back to this thread, but yes, I had noticed the round ends to the arms on her key, I thought there had to be an explanation but then put it on the back burner because I was doubtful that they have made another, but then...

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 24, 2017, 06:15 am
The key Tom Baker is wearing in that grab from "Robot" can't be the one Lis is holding in that photo. In the "Robot" grab we're seeing the back of the key, and there are clearly SIX circles representing the Constellation of Kasterborous. The key Lis is holding has only FIVE circles on it, so it's missing one of the circles in the Constellation. (The one seen here in "Robot" has a circle pattern that matches the Pertwee and Mooncrest versions - slightly different with the alignment of the circles, but there are still six.)

So the five-circle key that Lis is holding could very well have been a parting gift to her as Cardinal Hordriss suggested.

Dino.

An excellent catch here. I hadn't noticed that there were only five. So now the questions remains, how did Liz come by her key? Who made it? I'd say it may have been one of a few made for Tom because I'm doubtful that a fan made copy would have been that close back then.

aaron63

She says in her autobiography that it was gifted to her by the props department with the note - 'in case the buggers change the locks'.

If I remember correctly, she passed it on to David Tennant when he left the show.