Apr 23, 2024, 09:12 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Handles: The Mondasian Version

Started by The14thDr, Jul 03, 2017, 04:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Jul 03, 2017, 04:29 pm Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 10:06 am by The14thDr
Following on from this year's fantastic season finale, I've grown to love the original Mondasian Cybermen - they just look so brilliantly retro and "incomplete", like they're not meant to look perfect (as Steven Moffat described them in an interview: "Deliberately a bit rubbish" - or at least words to that effect.)

So that got me thinking (dangerous, I know ;D): what would Handles look like if he was of the Mondasian variety, rather than the newer, sleeker Cyberiad versions? Now, the Mondasian Cybermen are meant to be more human than any of their future incarnations, but to spare ourselves the more gory implications of that - not to mention my weak stomach - I'll just overlook that fact. ;)
IMG_2731.JPG

I'm not 100% happy with the design yet - I feel like it still lacks a few finishing touches (perhaps a couple of metal plates welded to the face, or having the fabric more frayed/torn in places) - but I'm pleased with the direction it's headed in.

What do you guys think?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Mark

What a great idea.

Not sure if it would be usable but as an idea - you can get lifesize polystyrene "heads" (possibly used for wig making or displaying hats) which you could use to build upon.

This would give your model strength and rigidity and provide a natural shape for whatever material you decide to use for the face.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if you could use a leg support bandage for the face? These tubular bandages stretch and mold to shape. Once in place on the polystyrene head you could perhaps paint the bandage with PVA or something similar in order to give it strength and "fix it".

Just a thought.

The14thDr

Jul 03, 2017, 06:48 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017, 10:00 am by The14thDr
That's exactly what I was thinking for the main shape (great minds think alike!)

Using a leg support bandage, however, is something I hadn't considered before. I was originally planning to hand-stitch the face mask using the fabric from a t-shirt, but that would be even easier! Thanks! :) Having accidentally gotten PVA glue on my clothes before, I can say for sure that it will fix the shape and give the mask strength. ;D

Thanks again for the input - I'll definitely bear all this in mind when I get round to an eventual build.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: The14thDr on Jul 03, 2017, 06:48 pm
Having accidentally gotten PVA glue on my clothes before, I can say for sure that it will fix the shape and give the mask strength. ;D

To get the glue out of your clothing, stick it in warm water as soon as you can, seeing that PVA is water soluble, it should come out fairly easily, (unless it has set hard like for 2 days).
Hope this helps for next time you spill some on yourself.

Chris.

Yes, I have had the same problem of dripping some on myself as well, so your not alone.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Jul 05, 2017, 07:57 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 08:16 am by galacticprobe
The sketch looks great, 14th! That's going to be a real challenge to make. But I think we should have one of the Mods split this topic starting with your Mondasian Handles post and start a new topic for it (maybe titled "Handles: The Mondasian Version", or something more to your liking if that one doesn't strike any chords with you).

After all, this will be a new build, and therefor should have a new topic. (One topic per build, and one build per topic.) I'm sure one of the Mods will get to it once they have a chance. (And from what I've seen from topics that have been split, since your post will be the first, you'll be the one that started the topic, so you can change the title to anything you like.)

Dino.

EDIT: Well, that was quick! (And that title is better than what I'd suggested.)
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino!
The reason I didn't make a separate topic is because I was going to post a sort of "teaser" before I got round to the actual build - if I got round to it at all. But I suppose it does make sense to split the topic, as it saves the effort of re-introducing the build in a new build diary and uploading the same sketch again.

RE: the name: the title of this thread is just the name of my original post in the old diary, but I quite like the one you suggested, so I'll probably change it to that. ;D

Hopefully I'll be able to start this build very soon; I've already started looking for pieces that could be repurposed for the "gun" on top. ;)

Rassilons Rod

No guarantee of organic bits (or much organic bits) in a helmet....

But THIS would definitely be a severed head.... Halloween, anyone? ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

anime

Im excited to see how this project will go!
"I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?" -11Th Doctor

discobiscuitcolor

Ya know, thought just crossed my mind... If handles was a mondasian cyberman head, the doctor would literally be carrying around a human head! Otherwise it's a cool concept, although I think it'd work better as an Earthshock cyberman or maybe even an Invasion or Revenge of the cybermen head.

-Marc

Davros Skaro

I don't think it matters what era head it is, they all had a human head or brain in them, just the body was cybernised & the head given a metal shell.

Chris.
Chris.