Apr 20, 2021, 08:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Slanted Tardis Roof

Started by magnusgreel, Oct 23, 2005, 02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

magnusgreel

Oct 23, 2005, 02:59 pm Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 08:55 pm by Scarfwearer
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some pointers on figuring or making the slant roof for my tardis.  I am using these plans
http://groups.msn.com/thetardisbuildersguild/tardisplans.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=621

and I notice there is 6 on the left hand side of the  roof is this for the slant of the roof?  I also see that from the box of 2" it rises to 4" to light.  So using these numbers how do you figure the size of the roof  panels.

I  have read the tardis builders manual and I am still confused. So If someone could give me the step buy step here in laymen terms.  I think all the numbers are there I just don't know the formulas or the how.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Where ever you go there you are.

purpleblancmange

Oct 23, 2005, 04:04 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 10:48 am by scarfwearer
This is actually quite simple really.  Look at the drawing and you will already have two measurements; one for the base of the pitch (slanty bit) and one for the bit where it meets the lamp housing. 

Your first dim is 39.5" and the top section looks like 6" according to Karsten's plan.  Draw this to whatever scale you like (the whole roof pitch section) and measure the diagonal length... this will give you the distance apart between the 39.5" and the 6" measurement. 

Once you've done this, you then connect the drawing up with one diagonal line for each side into the trapazoid shape giving you the roof panel section.

Hint.  Cut the panels larger than you need, then shape them as you make the roof to fit the area they "slot" in to.  Maybe some smart arse can do a drawing to illustrate this for you.  I would, but I'm rubbish at computer drawing. ;)

EDIT:

6" at the top
17.21" (centred and verticle) gap between top and bottom measurement
39.5" at the bottom

Now join the diagonals.  Hope that helps.

DoctorWho8

Oct 23, 2005, 06:13 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 10:58 pm by DoctorWho8
Here's the diagram that Purple was trying to get at.
http://billrudloff.com/RoofPanel.pdf
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

karsthotep

Oct 23, 2005, 11:24 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 10:49 am by scarfwearer
Very very good choice in plans to use <LOL>.  I am glad to see someone else likes the amalgamation version that I am going for.  Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"