Mar 29, 2024, 09:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Light and Sound Romana Sonic

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jun 15, 2017, 03:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

It's the Swap Shop prop. I don't know if it was made specifically for Swap Shop or not but Lalla Ward believes she still has the original somewhere though she isn't sure where.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

karsthotep

No, that picture you posted is not of the original prop,  I have that version and it was made by a friend of Brian and mine some time ago,  it is pretty close but is missing a lot of detail.  The original prop had different colored tapes for the the yellow, green and blue stripes, and their are lines and dots along the body.  Good replica but not the one from prop from the shops.    Also, the prop from the shops romana sonic does not have a hole in the emitter.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Cardinal Hordriss

Sorry, it wasn't the reference thread it was the thread regarding the scarecrow props version and rereading it I don't know anymore. Mine would still look more like the fatter version because it's built around the core from the build your own sonic set. There's detail still to add but it's hard without a lathe.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Terrasolo

That's my replica that you are referencing and reposted a picture of, as Karsten said. I did mention in the Props from the Shop thread that that replica was a replica and that it was made by myself and Jamie Owens. It seems you may have gotten the two confused in my thread.

The two props I posted were the Scarecrow Props replica of the original Romana sonic ( given away on Swap Shop) and then my own replica, which you reposted the picture of here (which seems to be from one of my other forum accounts).

No prictures of the original prop have been posted online anywhere but I have seen the picture given to Scarecrow Props (he was also given dims) by the owner of the original prop and I can say that the replica he made me (the one with no hole in the top, the yellow, green, and blue tape, and the black dots and lines) is spot on to that photo of the original. 

Cardinal Hordriss

I thought it must be yours because your post on here is the only other time I've seen that version.

So it seems I've been making an inaccurate replica of an inaccurate replica... well that's just great lol.

Terrasolo

Look at the bright side, you can call this one a "prototype", and then have a go at making the other one that I posted, which is screen accurate.

Cardinal Hordriss

I don't see how I can with me using the CO core for sound and no lathe. I can change the coloured tape though.

Terrasolo

That's true, you are bound by scale here. But still, have fun with it. That's all that matters, right?

Cardinal Hordriss

I suppose... and the emitter has already evolved significantly beyond the original prop. When 14th Doctor did a mod of my TARDIS key design he called it the Cardinal Key, perhaps this could be the Cardinal Sonic.

I've now got to redo the thick tube anyway. I was trying to do those four little indents and the drill slipped. I've a touch of autism among my varied mental health issues and don't take failure/imperfections in my work very well, in fact I'm having something of a meltdown. I know my work doesn't stand up against a lot of what members of this forum produce but it's more about things going to plan than them being on a par with Rubbertoe Replicas.

The replacement part should arrive Friday, then I can go to work and have it done in half an hour I think, cut, sand, polish, fit. Trouble is I'm going to be staying with a friend for a week, starting Friday afternoon and if the new tube doesn't arrive in time it's going to be getting at me for the entire week.

On the bright side I can make the tube a few millimeters longer to better accommodate the core.

I feel a bit better having gone over everything now. What do you think? About the sonic news that is not my total overreaction to what is actually to most people a very minor problem.

Davros Skaro

I think you've done a great job on it!  :D
Don't be too hard on yourself, if you knew some of the stuff ups that I done at times, then you wouldn't feel so bad about your drill slip, we've all had that. Just look at the mess I did of my web star: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7074 that was a real mess & out of proportion & I hate things not being right. Took me 2 week before I would attempt anything else. Plus & had 2 other projects mess up as well at the same time to make things worse for me.

So when you replacement piece arrives, take you time & to stop the drill slippage again, use a center punch to make an indent where you want the drill to go & that will help keep the drill in place. Hope this will help you.  :D  :)

Chris.

P.S. we're our own worse critics.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks.

The Webstar, that's a really ambitious build, especially replicating the negative space i.e. building it as a hollow frame like the structure of the original. I think you did really well. I would have been tempted to cheat, build it solid and wrap with crinkled tin foil lol.

Terrasolo

Trial and error is a part of any artistic venture. I say try not to view these things as failures because they aren't really, they're a learning experience. Testing a theory of an idea in a practical way.

If people were perfect and did everything exactly as they wanted on the first go, then the old saying "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" would never exist.

Just enjoy your trip. Your project will wait for you and has no deadline.

Cardinal Hordriss

Well as they say things will look better in the morning. I've calmed down about 90%. The replacement tube has been dispatched and has already been cut to the correct length so that's one less job to do when it arrives.

Thanks for your ongoing support, let's hope the new part arrives on time.

Cardinal Hordriss

I'll do a proper update later but the tube arrived and everything has gone to plan, better in fact, I've made a few improvements on the first one.

"No more" structural modifications though, I'm not going through this again. I might do some grips in sticky-back foam, the kind that Hobbycraft do in A4 sheets but nothing that can't be undone, nothing that can do irreparable damage.

Thanks for helping me through it. I'm not really some childish drama queen, it's my faulty thinking engine. I can understand why the Doctor wants to avoid regenerating, clashing thoughts, personalities, emotions, it's not fun.

Terrasolo

You've nothing to apologize for. You're having fun making prop, that's a cool thing. Looking forward to the upgrades!