Mar 29, 2024, 11:43 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Light and Sound Romana Sonic

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jun 15, 2017, 03:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

They're metal washers with the transparent lego pieces as spacers in the same pattern as previously.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 19, 2017, 11:11 am
There are no pics of how I made the emitter section as I did this ages ago using lego pieces to custom my RB Replicas Romana sonic -

Just re-read that bit - cleaver stuff.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

The14thDr

Jun 27, 2017, 04:34 pm #32 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017, 09:28 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 27, 2017, 03:06 pm
Thanks. I like adding my own touch to things so I can be my own renegade Time Lord as opposed to a straight copy of an existing one. That's not me criticizing replica builders or cosplayers (RANT//providing they don't strut around at events like they're more famous and important than the original cast member. Some list themselves as "public figure" on Facebook!!!//RANT OVER) I just prefer to do my own thing.

Well, there's nothing wrong with that at all. I often change my replicas slightly just to make the design more unique (it's also quite funny if someone tried to pass your images off as their own and claim they built a "100% replica", but maybe that's just me. ;D ;D But I share your sentiments; that whole "public figure" thing bugs me too - you built yourself a few props and maybe own a costume, that doesn't make you a celebrity! ;D

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 27, 2017, 03:21 pm
They're metal washers with the transparent lego pieces as spacers in the same pattern as previously.

Genius! I had a feeling you may have used washers, but I never knew you could get them so small!

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Cardinal Hordriss

Jun 27, 2017, 07:14 pm #33 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017, 07:15 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 27, 2017, 04:34 pm
Well, there's nothing wrong with that at all. I often change my replicas slightly just to make the design more unique (it's also quite funny if someone tried to pass your images off as their own and claim they built a "100% replica", but maybe that's just me. ;D ;D But I share your sentiments; there are a lot of (and that whole "public figure" thing bugs me too - you built yourself a few props and maybe own a costume, that doesn't make you a celebrity! ;D

I had that argument with the developers of a Doctor Who iphone game who'd copied my props. They claimed the BBC sent them pictures of the props but in one case mine really wasn't that accurate and there's is identical to mine! They also copied inaccuracies unique to some of my other props but claim they're from BBC blueprints. Then there's the people who made my hitchhikers guide to the galaxy part of a set of stickers.

I'm glad jumped-up cosplayers don't just wind me up. I'd add vloggers and "actors" from fan series' to the rant too but I do have to think of my blood pressure.

Warmcanofcoke - or as my auto correct put it - War-man of cake - thanks for that. I'm not sure about clever but I think I have a good eye for bits and bobs that will go together.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

That sucks to hear that even the people working on official Doctor Who projects would try to copy your props (and to claim they were from a BBC source - that's even worse!) That sort of thing can often be a massive problem when it comes to sharing photos of your builds online (or in my case, files for 3D printing) but I suppose that's life. You make something nice and there'll always be someone else who tries to exploit that for themselves - either to make a bit of money or just make themselves look good.

(As a little side note: thanks for quoting my post - it gave me a chance to reread it and notice how little sense that last part makes. ;D I've edited that part now, hopefully it should he easier to read.)

galacticprobe

Jun 27, 2017, 10:41 pm #35 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017, 10:56 pm by galacticprobe
That's not me criticizing replica builders or cosplayers

Don't worry, CH. I don't think anyone here would think that of you, especially with all of the custom sonics (and consoles, and TARDISes, and other custom replicas too numerous to mention) that members have built, to give their replica a personal touch.

(RANT//providing they don't strut around at events like they're more famous and important than the original cast member. Some list themselves as "public figure" on Facebook!!!//RANT OVER)

Those are the "Stitch Nazis", the "Rivet Counters", and the "Narcissistic Knuckleheads". Clever quips can often put them in their place... or cheese them off to the point where they just leave! (Saw that happen at Timegate 2013.)

I just prefer to do my own thing.

Most of us do, and no one faults anyone for that.

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 27, 2017, 07:14 pm
I'd add vloggers and "actors" from fan series' to the rant too but I do have to think of my blood pressure.

There's a name for those people as well, but it's not one I can post here. (Let's just say... frackwads.)

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 27, 2017, 07:14 pm
Warmcanofcoke - or as my auto correct put it - War-man of cake...

Oooh! That's much easier for me to type in! ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 27, 2017, 09:32 pm
(As a little side note: thanks for quoting my post - it gave me a chance to reread it and notice how little sense that last part makes. ;D I've edited that part now, hopefully it should he easier to read.)

It must be my medication. I had to re-re-re-re-read both the quoted post and the original (edited) post before I noticed the difference - which means it made perfect sense to me the first time round!

(Might be time for a lie down.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

Always good to know I'm not alone and thanks for the cosplay slang terms, I hadn't encountered those before lol.

It's also good to know I didn't overstep any lines with my comment about the accuracy of replica props.

Cardinal Hordriss

A couple of small updates -

The addition of a stripe of blue tape, this holds the little bit of wood in place which activates the core. It's not very sophisticated but it works.

19755940_10155562952789319_1641302670_n.jpg

I've also drilled the hole through the top section as is visible on recently released pictures of the original prop.

19894121_10155562952794319_1413006130_n.jpg

The14thDr

That looks amazing! Well done Cardinal! And don't worry about the activator not being very sophisticated - if it works, it works. ;D

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jul 04, 2017, 02:03 pm
visible on recently released pictures of the original prop.

On the whatnow? :o
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Cardinal Hordriss

Yep, some in the reference thread and a few more when doing a Google image search for Romana's sonic screwdriver.

galacticprobe

Jul 05, 2017, 06:48 am #41 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 06:49 am by galacticprobe
It's not very sophisticated but it works.

Remember 'Murphy's 2nd Law of Combat': "If it's stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid." ;)

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 04, 2017, 04:00 pm
visible on recently released pictures of the original prop.

On the whatnow? :o

Yeah... I'm inclined to agree with the  :o. (Do you have a link to the Google Image result that showed the hole in the tip? Just to save us from having to search through images and hope that we're looking at the same one you were?)

Excellent work on the upgrade modifications, by the way.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Jul 05, 2017, 08:47 am #42 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 08:49 am by Davros Skaro
In the show images, the Sonic has yellow tape on the end & I can't see no hole in it; here's one I have taken from the DVD's:
NDVD_003.jpg
Close up & enlarged.
NDVD_003.1.jpg

Chris.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Jul 05, 2017, 10:48 am #43 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 10:50 am by Cardinal Hordriss
Sorry, I didn't like to post the image because it's not mine but here it is -

Companion Sonics_zps2a7iu8sa (2).jpg

This is the prop that appeared on Multi-Coloured Swap Shop.

meantimebob

Is that really the original prop? I seem to recall it was given away as a prize on Swap Shop.