Mar 28, 2024, 05:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Revenge Of The Cybermen Costume

Started by elkad, Jun 12, 2017, 07:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Jun 12, 2017, 07:00 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2017, 07:16 pm by elkad
I was thinking up of a video sequence were I'd shoot my bro, (aka Cyberman), with my Vogan Glitter Gun as I explained the reason why the Vogans weren't equipped with gold ammunition.

I need references, patterns, materials to make a Cyber costume for my bro.

d04-4d-c111.jpgd04-4d-c112.jpgd04-4d-c113.jpgd04-4d-c221.jpgd04-4d-c305.jpgd04-4d-c312.jpgd04-4d-c313.jpgd04-4d-c325.jpgd04-4d-c327.jpgd04-4d-c339.jpg
I don't know what going to be more difficult, the head piece or chest unit.
d04-4d-c358.jpgd04-4d-c377.jpgd04-4d-c380.jpg

The piping on the arms legs & head peace looks easy to make, along with the joint tubes, (dryer vent ducting). I can make the hydraulic tube joints. The gloves, I can use Dish washing gloves & paint them silver,( hoping the paint doesn't react with the plastic in the gloves.)

I need some more pics of the chest unit. The pic I have here only shows one side. How can I make the head peace? What is the suit there wearing underneath all those pipes?

karsthotep

I believe that the suit itself is a diving wet suit painted silver. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Cardinal Hordriss

Jun 13, 2017, 05:35 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2017, 05:37 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
This isn't related to the costumes, although these Cybermen are one of my favorite versions, but does anyone find the Cyberleader in this story to be somewhat emotive? Evidence of hubris, vitriol, anger, arrogance and even gloating.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

karsthotep

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Davros Skaro

The round boxes that the hoses go to look like electrical junction boxes or similar.

Chris.
Chris.

fivefingeredstyre

I know what you mean, the top part looks similar and it does look like PVC twin and Earth cabling running inside the pipes, Holding everything together. However it looks to me that the whole joint piece is a single vacuum formed section that with notches cut out that sits over the top of the joint.

Maybe...

galacticprobe

Jun 14, 2017, 06:11 am #6 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2017, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 13, 2017, 05:35 pm
...does anyone find the Cyberleader in this story to be somewhat emotive? Evidence of hubris, vitriol, anger, arrogance and even gloating.

I've seen Cyberleaders (and Controllers) getting angry, and gloating, from "Revenge" onwards. I think it was one of the reasons they always met their downfall; they gloated. Also, more than once the Doctor ran afoul of the Cyberleader's temper. (So it's not just you, CH. Once they started speaking in more coherent voices they did get more emotive.)

Quote from: karsthotep on Jun 12, 2017, 08:14 pm
I believe that the suit itself is a diving wet suit painted silver.

I remember reading or hearing that somewhere, too. It might have been in one of those behind the scenes our PBS stations would air during their pledge drives. As for painting the gloves, elkad, try using fabric paint. It comes in silver and it's flexible so it won't crack when the fabric moves about. (Hopefully it will stick to the rubber on the gloves, but with fabric paint being so inexpensive, it's worth a shot.)

Chris might be right about the tubing joints being electrical junction boxes. The nice thing about them today is they're made from plastic, while back then you'd have been hard pressed to find one that wasn't metal. The body tubing looks like standard ribbed vacuum cleaner hosing; the same for the tubing on the head. They do have drainage tubing like that in that size, but it's not as flexible. You could try looking for washing machine drain hose extensions. I've seen those in lengths of 10 feet. They're pretty flexible. All you'd need to get that shape around the head is either wire hanger cut and bent to that shape and then slide the tubing over it, or cut the basic shape from wooden dowels (3/4th-inch diameter should do) and put the tubing over that. The black tubing is the easy one. I'm not sure how well even fabric paint would do on that sort of tubing, but you can always test it on a small section that's left over from the Cyberleader's head.

As for the chest piece, the sides looks like they've just got silver-painted miscellaneous circuit boards behind some perspex, as in the images posted above each circuit board looks different. The center looks like it's just a bit of speaker grille screen (with varying degrees of dirtiness on them) placed over a thin frame and attached to the chest piece. I'm not sure what the round thing below the speaker grille part is, but it almost looks like a deep-set flashlight/torch, one of the larger kind that takes the cube-shaped 6-volt battery.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure more people will chime in with more ideas, but I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Looking at them again, the tubing on the heads is more like flexible conduit, which could be what the other is made of, but I could be wrong. Being an ex-electrician & still having some of the stuff, the bends look very much like it, probably 25 or 32mm.

Chris.
Chris.

elkad

Jun 15, 2017, 07:17 pm #8 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017, 07:22 pm by elkad
I need  to make a shopping list for the parts I have to get.

*Dryer Vent Hose, for the joints. (I notice the joints were riveted to the costume)

Aluminum_Foil_ventilation_pipe_Vent_Hose_634578381952134384_5.jpg

*Conduit Tubing, for the hydraulic tubes in the head, arms & legs.

I need a close up of the connections on their sides. (are those conduit boxes too?)

Conduit-Pipe3.jpg

*A box & Panels with assorted circuits for the chest unit.
Can anyone get a close up shot of the chest unit belly button hole under the vent?

*Silver Dish Washing Gloves, (or painted silver)

silver-lamandeacute-adult-gloves-bc-60477.jpg

* 4 way round plastic conduit box

Conduit Junction Box.PNG

*Fabric Paint, silver
I can use a painters suit, paint it silver & put a plastic ring around the waste line.

....How do I make the head?....  The gun on the top is simple, pipes with flash cotton, the bumpers on the side I can cut up a bunch of flat PVC, (I need a blueprint of the Cybeman's Head,) but the top of the head, face & neck, how?

Any thoughts of what else I may need?

elkad

Jun 15, 2017, 07:39 pm #9 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017, 07:46 pm by elkad
I just found a cuple Revenge Cybermen Blueprints on TheRPF.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/classic-cyberman-helmet-pep-137095/

Anyone have any Ideas on how to make it? Any YouTube how to videos, or sites that show how to make a full head mask like this?

Cyberman-Plans-side-view-we.jpgcyberman-plans-web.jpg

elkad

Jun 15, 2017, 08:06 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2017, 06:42 pm by elkad
Found a video. This will help me a little. (why is it when I ask for something, sometimes I find, or something close, to what I'm looking for?)

https://youtu.be/Ycan8uU5HA8

galacticprobe

Jun 16, 2017, 05:22 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
Great YouTube link, elkad (though the embedded player keeps giving me an error message; anyone else having that problem?).

On the dryer hose/conduit for the Cyber-joints, looking at those costumes more closely it looks like they used the silver foil variety of the hose rather than the rubber-painted-silver hose. It would make sense as there would have been no painting involved; the hose is already silver. So that's something you might want to consider when getting that dryer hose. (The silver kind would save you a lot of work, and you wouldn't have to worry about silver paint flaking off.)

Those gloves are a great find! If you get a larger pair than you need, you can put them over regular gloves to give those thin silver ones some "bulk", and make them look more Cyberman-ish. (Though I think they'd be great for someone going for a 'Torchwood' "Cyberwoman" episode look!)

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Yep, I got the error too when I tried to play it.

Chris.
Chris.

elkad

I found a blog to someone who has all ready made a revenge cyber suit.

http://honorarydoctor.livejournal.com/13619.html

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.