Mar 29, 2024, 12:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Ancient Sonic Screwdriver

Started by The14thDr, Jun 10, 2017, 10:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Jun 10, 2017, 10:54 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2017, 11:11 am by The14thDr
I do like my aged, weathered props, particularly when it's the sonic screwdriver, and I realised we didn't have any reference material for this one yet.

I'll start off with the BBC concept art from The Magician's Apprentice. It shows off the thought that went into all the weathering, and the research that they did on how the different materials would have aged/corroded over time.
IMG_2052.JPG

And here, with kind permission from Cardinal Hordriss, is a photo of the sonic on display at the Doctor Who Experience. (The image was cropped and enlarged from CH's fantastic http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7668.msg96604 thread - well worth a look.)
IMG_2066.PNG

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any clear screengrabs from the episode, so perhaps someone with the BluRay (or faster fingers on that pause button) could help me out? :P

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Angelus Lupus

Seems they didn't go quite as severe as the concept art: No broken claws, or melted emitter.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Terrasolo

It actually did have broken claws, melted emitter, and even exposed springs.

9x01-The-Magician's-Apprentice-04-Rubbertoe-Pic.jpg9x01-The-Magician's-Apprentice-06-PropsGuy2000-Instagram-2.png

Angelus Lupus

So I see!
Looks like they've displayed it with the less weathered side showing for some reason.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Terrasolo

Yeah, props on display can be a blessing but often times they can still hide details from us.

Davros Skaro

Hahahaha, for those of you that have the "faulty" first edition of this sonic, this is your chance to make them in to an actual prop, just need a little extra work.  :)

Chris.
Chris.

superrichi1a

Great to see some close up images of this piece, by far my favourite 'ruined' screwdriver! It was also a nice way to write the prop out, though I was hoping Capaldi would get a black/silver version as he did in the comics! I actually converted a replica into a black/silver, I must dig it out!

I guess I would have liked this to be green, actually. Copper corrodes into a milky green colour, and they added hints of that but I think it would have been interesting to see the prop in green, as difficult as that would have been ;D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

The14thDr

Funnily enough, the concept art shows a bit of green on the copper parts, and the silver parts on the actual prop have rust applied, so I wonder why they didn't go for any green on the copper?

Perhaps it was just time constraints/too difficult to achieve.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

P.S. I'd love to see some photos of your black/silver sonic (always love a good sonic screwdriver conversion ;D)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

superrichi1a

Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 12, 2017, 05:24 am
P.S. I'd love to see some photos of your black/silver sonic (always love a good sonic screwdriver conversion ;D)

I will certainly post some up! I live around London but right now I'm living in San Francisco for a short time. In fact, I've been here for 6 months, hence the lack of progress on my builds, but I'll be going home very soon. I actually leave this week, and, after a special visit to Galacticprobe's area of the cosmos, I'll be heading home soon afterwards. I'm sure I'll assault the forum with my progress then!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?