News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt Smith Tardis Interior Model - Completed

Started by robajob, May 27, 2017, 01:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

robajob

May 27, 2017, 01:50 pm Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017, 11:53 pm by robajob
Hi Tardis Builders,
I hope that I have posted this in the correct place, if not I am sure somebody will kindly inform me.
I have just joined the site after a long time looking at some fantastic work and using this site for a lot of excellent reference material.
I have recently completed a Tardis Project for my son who is a fanatical Dr Who fan.
So as you can't buy one of these, I thought I would turn my hand to trying to make him a Matt Smith Tardis for him to play with his collection of 5" Dr Who figures.
I hope you like the pictures and the video, there are a lot more, so if you like it let me know and I will post more detailed pictures.
If you would like to see a build thread, again let me know and I will post.

But for now...

1. IMG_20170420_193327.jpg1. IMG_20170420_193426.jpg1. IMG_20170420_193610.jpg1. IMG_20170420_193627.jpg1. IMG_20170420_193744.jpg1. IMG_20170420_193800.jpg1. IMG_20170420_193859.jpg1. IMG_20170420_194200.jpg1. IMG_20170420_194314.jpg

tony farrell

You should be really proud of that Rob! Thanks for sharing.

I think a little tutorial/build diary would be an excellent accompaniment to this!

T

aayushkp

Wow! :D
Quite recently I was looking for picwoad console videos on youtube when I first saw your build. It was beautiful! The first thing I wanted to ask was for a tutorial. But in some previous comments you had mentioned you will post it soon. And it's so wonderful to see it here! Eagerly waiting for other pics and tutorial.

robajob

May 29, 2017, 12:28 pm #3 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:19 pm by robajob
Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 27, 2017, 02:27 pm
You should be really proud of that Rob! Thanks for sharing.

I think a little tutorial/build diary would be an excellent accompaniment to this!

T

Thanks for your comment Tony, it is appreciated.
I had originally tried to post this in the Galleries as a completed model console, with the view to see the responses/ requests and take it from there.
But your wish is my command, so keep your eyes peeled for a build thread on here in the near future.

Rob.

robajob

Quote from: aayushkp on May 27, 2017, 04:09 pm
Wow! :D
Quite recently I was looking for picwoad console videos on youtube when I first saw your build. It was beautiful! The first thing I wanted to ask was for a tutorial. But in some previous comments you had mentioned you will post it soon. And it's so wonderful to see it here! Eagerly waiting for other pics and tutorial.

Thank you for your comment aayushkp, I am pleased you managed to see this on YouTube and that you think it is beautiful.
I have been posting videos on there of this project for use in a build thread if the responses/requests merited doing one.
So with your request in mind, keep a look out for more pictures, a HD video that I am currently working on and a build thread on here as well.

Davros Skaro

I'm totally jealous of your build. it is simply amazing & would love one as well. Great job you've done there.

Chris.
Chris.

robajob

Hi Chris,
            Thank you for your comment, I am very appreciative of the fact that you think I have done a great job, as it was built because of a request by my son I suppose all you can say is, one tries ones best for ones little Whovian.
It has been requested that I do a build thread, so as time permits I will post one on the site, hopefully there will be enough information within it to enable anybody that wants one to make one.

Rob.

Davros Skaro

Looking forward to your build diary, but remember there is no rush & as people have said, "We love photos, can never be enough".

Chris.
Chris.

davidnagel

Until I saw this on a pc screen, I thought this was a CGI model - nicely done!
Regards
David

robajob

Quote from: Davros Skaro on May 30, 2017, 11:51 pm
Looking forward to your build diary, but remember there is no rush & as people have said, "We love photos, can never be enough".

Chris.

Hi Chris,
           Thanks for your comment, I will post the build thread with lots of pictures to hopefully appease peoples appetite in the very near future.
I am just working on taking some HD pictures of the finished build and a new more detailed HD video as well.
So keep em peeled!

Rob.

robajob

Quote from: davidnagel on Jun 01, 2017, 05:49 am
Until I saw this on a pc screen, I thought this was a CGI model - nicely done!

Hi davidnagel,
                   Thank you so much for your comment, I am very pleased that you thought it was a CGI model and that you think it was nicely done.
I am going to post some more beauty shots on the site with some attention to the details, maybe even a visit from the Doctor, or at least the 5" version of him, to give more of a sense of scale.
As this was the motivation to build this in the first place, so that my son could play with his 5" Doctor Who action figures.

Rob.

handofomega

Rob how did you get so much detail on the console at that scale?   Gorgeous!

robajob

Quote from: handofomega on Jun 01, 2017, 02:04 pm
Rob how did you get so much detail on the console at that scale?   Gorgeous!

Hi handofomega,
                       Thank you very much for your comment.
The short answer to your question "VERY CAREFULLY!" No wonder I now need an eye test and new glasses.

It was part of my sons request that the Tardis have moving parts and lights, as well as look like the real thing, so I tried to fulfill his request as much as humanly possible.
Pretty much all the controls on the console are a mish mash of the usual suspects, from heavily modified bits of Lego, styrene sheet, brass tube or totally scratch built using all of the listed.
The dials, scales and numeric elements were printed on an ordinary printer and applied to give a little edge to the detail.
Thanks to the abundance of reference material on this site, google maps Earls Court Tardis and a great model I found using blender, it was then just a case of trying to get the scale right and emulating all the bits.
Pretty much all the controls function/move as well, so all the knobs twist, the sliders slide, the levers lever etc.
The monitors move around the central column, the old style telephone inside the call for assistance box is usable, the engine compartment in the basement has 2 opening doors with a ladder into the heart of the Tardis and finally the Whirly Gig rotates( a little), albeit manually.
Couldn't quite work out how to get it to rotate fully with all the lighting running through it via a motor and gear assembly and run it off of a battery as well, as this Tardis needed to be portable, so that my son can take it to Grandmas.
I will be posting some more pictures, especially of the detail of the finished item on here at a later date and as it has been requested I do a build thread as well.
But again thanks for thinking it is gorgeous, I think the old girl is a bit sexy too.

Rob.

timewomble

Quote from: robajob on Jun 01, 2017, 06:33 pm
Couldn't quite work out how to get it to rotate fully with all the lighting running through it via a motor and gear assembly and run it off of a battery as well, as this Tardis needed to be portable, so that my son can take it to Grandmas.

The two traditional approaches, both of which might be impossible given the scale you're working at and the other parts you would need to fit in, are:
1. Have a fixed central light source which the rings rotate around, so the lighting leads don't have to move at all.
2. Use slip rings of some kind: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_ring

Best regards,

Peter.

timewomble

I forgot to say: this is the most astonishing, amazing, wonderful Tardis interior model build I think I've ever seen on this site, or anywhere else. Well done. I look forward to reading more about it!

Best regards,

Peter.