Mar 29, 2024, 04:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Time Warrior Sontaran Optical Device

Started by elkad, May 20, 2017, 04:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

May 20, 2017, 04:26 pm Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:23 am by rassilonsrod
I started off with the battery pack, using the same design as the "Two Doctors" Sontaran Gunstick. A PVC tube sand down on the end to fit a cut off cap from an energy drink shot bottle.  

Sontaren Optical Device (2).JPGSontaren Optical Device (1).JPGSontaren Optical Device (3).JPGSontaren Optical Device (4).JPG

For the handle & barrel I cut up two tubes, one for the barrel & one for the handle tip. I cut the tube on one side & with the use of wood I progressively strech it out to the point were I can flatten it with a couple boards & camps.

Sontaren Optical Device (7).JPGSontaren Optical Device (8).JPGSontaren Optical Device (9).JPGSontaren Optical Device (10).JPGSontaren Optical Device (11).JPGSontaren Optical Device (12).JPGSontaren Optical Device (13).JPGSontaren Optical Device (14).JPG

I cut a hole in the middle of the flat piece, glue the tube inside, then cut off the exses with a pare of tin snips & sand the rest down.

Sontaren Optical Device (15).JPG

elkad

May 27, 2017, 07:07 pm #1 Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:14 pm by elkad
I'm using the same method as my Sontaren laser guns, as a screw lid trigger. (If I had a metal lathe, heck, a regular drill lathe, I could make a metal screw on body & cap & wouldn't have to worry about cramped wiring.)
Sontaren Optical Device (16).JPGSontaren Optical Device (17).JPG

I think I should make the nib on the end of my test wood emitter a little smaller, ??? what do you think?

Sontaren Optical Device (18).JPGSontaren Optical Device (19).JPG

The test wood emitter is a 7/8" rod, all I have is an 1" rod, so I see alot of acrylic dust, (sanding) in my future.
I'm using my pipe cuter to mark the lengths of each section so I don't over grind.

Sontaren Optical Device (20).JPGSontaren Optical Device (21).JPGSontaren Optical Device (22).JPG

13drwho

So this is your third Sontaran device... I have some questions. When are you doing the communicator (I've always wanted to make one myself)? What about the costume? When do you plan to invade?

elkad

I not that good at costume making, I failed sewing class.  :(  (Besides, I lack the height requirements, 6'.)
Do you know anyone who can make a custom custom? (If I do get a costume, I'll be the tallest Sontaran to date.)
I am planing on making a set of Sontaren communicator/recorder/translator props. As soon as I find & gather enough screencaps of the various communicators.

Davros Skaro

May 29, 2017, 11:34 pm #4 Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:35 am by Davros Skaro
I do remember in "The Two Doctors" there were some tall Sontarans. It wasn't till the new series that they started the consistent 5' requirement. So you should be fine for a tall Sontaran.

Chris.

P.S. check the reference post for the Sontaran stick, (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7647.msg96458#msgx96458) I put up some grabs of them tall Sontarans.
Here's one any way.
NDVD_082.jpg
Chris.

13drwho

He's right, the Sontarans in The Two Doctors were average height people. The new series exaggerated them. The one in The Time Warrior was not small either. The others were a little short, but not like in the new series.

galacticprobe

May 30, 2017, 06:35 am #6 Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:45 am by galacticprobe
I have vague memories of it being said in one of the Classic stories that some Sontarans are cloned to give orders and lead, while others are cloned to follow orders and die. (I can't remember which one that explanation is from. Maybe someone with a better memory can find the exact story and quote.)

At any road, it would be my guess that the taller ones are the leaders, and the shorter ones are the "cannon fodder". So you'll be one of the leaders since you're that tall.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Quote from: 13drwho on May 27, 2017, 10:05 pmSo this is your third Sontaran device... I have some questions. When are you doing the communicator (I've always wanted to make one myself)? What about the costume? When do you plan to invade?

Communicator: https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10942.new#new