News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My crappy "extra room" TARDIS entrance

Started by doc_disco, May 18, 2017, 01:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

doc_disco

May 18, 2017, 01:29 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:31 pm by doc_disco
Hello all!
I've already put this thing together, but I wanted to share what I've done because I got a lot of help from checking out some of your posts. Just a quick disclaimer: This is the very first thing I've ever built, ever. There will be many things that I'm sure you guys will cringe at, but I was limited in knowledge and tried my best. Be gentle!

So, I've been wanting my own TARDIS since 2008, but couldn't have one because of space / financial constraints. I bought my own house not too long ago and decided it was time to get to work! I specifically looked for a house that that a bedroom at the end of a hallway:

IMG_0047.JPG

The idea was that, whether you're downstairs at the front door or walking up the stairs, you'll see that shining big blue beauty. I began taking measurements and sketching what the door would look like December of 2016. At first I planned on keeping the door frame, painting it blue and just building the doors within the frame.

IMG_0882.PNG

After  realizing that the box wasn't going to look like a box at all. It'd just be a flat wall with doors on it. Definitely not sexy enough. I instead decided to build it so that it LOOKED like a scaled down full build, without spending the money on building all sides. I also wanted to make it very easy to take apart, in case I needed to move large items into the room or so that I can take it with me if I move.

I started with two boards with attached support "beams" that would be anchored to L-Backets on the corresponding walls.

IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG

After, I began putting the doors together using wood dowels. This was a terrible idea. The doors kept falling apart when I'd pick them up! I decided to also use T-shaped brackets to lock the sides into place. This made some of the pieces super uneven, but it didn't bother me too much. I didn't want to spend money on a metal "public call box" sign, and I also did not plan on making it "openable", so I purchased a cardboard version and left it in the wrapping to that it was somewhat reflective.

IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG

I couldn't find any photos of me putting the roof together, but I made one large square and another smaller one that would fit within its larger counterpart. This box rests on the beams that are anchored to the wall.

IMG_2140.JPG

The police box sign was next. It was important to me that it lit up once completed. I purchased a large Police Box sticker from Etsy and stuck it onto a clear plastic sheet that I pulled off of an old poster frame that was sitting in a closet. I then used a plastic cutter to cut it into shape. I then made the frame for the sign. The plastic is literally taped onto the back of the frame. I also taped white paper onto the back.

IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG

After that, it was time to paint!

IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG

Once the paint dried, I put the entire thing together. The lantern was put together with a jar light I purchased from amazon, painted styrofoam and a philips hue bulb. I drilled a hole at the center of the roof so that I could run the wires through it. Another philips hue bulb is located behind the police box sign. I also made a sort of "light box" so that the same light for the Police Box sign would light the windows. Small squares of plexiglass from Home Depot were used for the windows.

IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG

My home is littered with HomeKit appliances and now my TARDIS is one of those! The lighting is automated, so the TARDIS turns on when I wake up, when I get home and any time I ask Siri to "Turn on the TARDIS."

When I get around to furnishing/painting it, the room will become a sort of "hangout" room for me. I work from home, so it will likely be my break room :)

Aaaaand that is that, for now. I honestly don't remember who I borrowed ideas from. There were many of you. If you notice any of your ideas here, feel free to tag yourself! I appreciate this site for existing. It was a tremendous help.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

russellsuthern

(Yeah, I spotted the nosy moggy too!)

Listen, mate-
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself...
That's a fantastic build, one that any Dr Who fan would be proud to have at the end of their hallway!
Well done!!

Regards,

Russell

Angelus Lupus

Sure, it may be scaled down to fit, but it certainly looks convincing and effect in the photos!
It helps that you have the extra height to fit a roof and lamp on, that really sells the illusion that the Old Girl has just managed to squeeze herself in there  :) In fact, the light showing around the sides also makes it look much more like a box with depth (and sides).

You do realise we'll all be expecting you to put a console in that spare room now, don't you?  ;D
Nice work!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

doc_disco

That's the plan, eventually! It'll take much more $$$ though. Maybe next year?

Thank you all for being so kind <3

karsthotep

Don't be hard on yourself, I think it looks great,  we all see the flaws in our builds more than others do.  For a first go I am very impressed. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

barnacle

I LOL'ed when I saw the nosy cat peering over the step.  :)

Looks fine to me... I can hear David Tennant saying, "well, it's a bit of a squeeze, really, but we should be able to get her in..."  I think the slightly-compressed look that you were unsure about works quite well in a hallway.  Well done you!

ThymeLorde

May 19, 2017, 12:25 am #7 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:26 am by adandyandaclown
Lovely build! The look of the TARDIS being squeezed in there really is reminding me of the opening scene of "Fear Her". tumblr_inline_mtnvtjI4ds1rztsko.png
I love how it looks like the original Brachacki model, even though it appears to be based on the NST version (PTO sign wording, wide signboxes). Really shows how similar the two are!

Truth be told, I've long been wanting to do a project like this, since my bedroom is on the end of our hallway (albeit on the right side, so I'd have to have the left wall either removable or not build one  :P ) but looking at your build diary has really helped me to visualize what it would look like and how difficult it would be. Although, if I attempted it, it wouldn't look anything as lovely as yours!
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

Volpone

Yup, it's fine.  A very nicely executed build.  And the fact that you bought your house based on being able to park a TARDIS in it definitely fits you in with the rest of the madmen with boxes here.  :)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

doc_disco

Hello everyone! Just a small update.

Added a platform and painted the room "Millennium Silver." Thought the name was appropriate, so I went with that one :p

This weekend I will be adding programmable LED strips along the sides of the platform.

IMG_3436.JPG

Have a wonderful week!

davidnagel

Regards
David

doc_disco

Another week, another update!

I've removed the gap between the platform and the box. My hope was to light the gap with an led strip, but upon testing it I thought it looked awful.

I've also added programmable LED strips to each side of the platform, currently running in "Siege Mode" Red :P

Have a great weekend, everyone.IMG_3485.JPGIMG_3483.JPG

The14thDr

I'm extremely jealous of the direction this build is headed in. Keep up the good work!
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Volpone

The roundel rug is a nice touch.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

barnacle

I'm particularly digging the floor lighting.