Apr 15, 2021, 03:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Clear or opaque lamp on models?

Started by lorisarvendu, Dec 07, 2008, 11:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Dec 07, 2008, 11:40 pm Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:15 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi, I'm just finishing another model from "Season 18" plans, and I'm wondering about whether I still want to go for a clear lamp (cut down clear plastic biro lid), or try some of that white plastic tubing I can get from model shops.

Thing is, since I always put the lamp on before I start painting (does make it easier), I can't try out a white plastic lamp and see what it looks like, then take it off if I don't like it without messing up the model.

I've always used clear on my other models, but I sort of think a white one might make the lamp housing stand out better, define the shape of the TARDIS a bit more.  

Has anyone else tried both on a model before, and if so how did you feel about a simple white tube? Did it look better, or at least OK, or was it pants and you wish you'd stuck with clear?

bluemom

I'm an utter newbie at this, but there is a frosted vinyl available, that you can apply for the lamp and / or the windows.  www.expressionsvinyl.com has it available in sheets or rolls.  Quick service, nice folk.  Easy to remove if you change your mind!