Apr 24, 2024, 07:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Creating 2017 TARDIS for Unreal VR Game

Started by dichwer, May 06, 2017, 01:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dichwer

I've currently started working on creating a highly detailed version of the current TARDIS to be placed into Unity. Once in Unreal, I plan on creating a fully functional flight based VR mini game.

I wanted to know what everyone thought about this idea, and any suggestions would be very highly valued!

Attached is a very early image of the model I have so far, not much detail at all, and a lot of work still needs to be done, but a start.

18216341_10203534277914292_454776020_o.png

The14thDr

This sounds like a brilliant idea! A VR TARDIS would be awesome (and judging by that "test render" you've done, it'll be just like being in the real thing!)

Unfortunately I have no advice or suggestions to offer (Google SketchUp is about as far as my 3D modelling knowledge stretches) but I can't wait to see this develop nonetheless.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

dichwer

Also any help with dimensions would also be highly appreciated! Mainly that of the floor areas.

The14thDr

Quote from: dichwer on May 06, 2017, 04:19 pm
Also any help with dimensions would also be highly appreciated! Mainly that of the floor areas.

Okay, now that, I can help you with. We have a fantastic thread here with floor plans and all sorts of measurements for this particular console room: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4820

I hope this helps.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

dichwer

Thank you! This has helped a lot!

dichwer

Alright so, just thought I'd give a small update, I've just finished the first of the three time rotors, and I really liked how it looked so thought I'd give you a look.

If anyone sees anything that needs changing, please let me know!

5deb588346f3dd361383b72bf6f22aa0.png

LMC97

May 06, 2017, 07:27 pm #6 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:43 pm by LMC97
What you have there so far looks really accurate. I can tell this is going to be a great virtual interior.
Quote from: dichwer on May 06, 2017, 06:58 pm
If anyone sees anything that needs changing, please let me know!

The only thing I see is the part at the bottom of the console. The struts I believe require to be rotated to be inline with the 6 corners of the console. (I have no idea if I worded that right so sorry for any confusion  :-\)
console base.JPG
I look forward to future updates.

LMC  :)
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

dichwer

Quote from: LMC97 on May 06, 2017, 07:27 pm

The only thing I see is the part at the bottom of the console. The struts I believe require to be rotated to be inline with the 6 corners of the console. (I have no idea if I worded that right so sorry for any confusion  :-\)
console base.JPG
I look forward to future updates.

LMC  :)

Has now been fixed! Thanks for pointing that out!

galacticprobe

May 06, 2017, 09:38 pm #8 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:39 pm by galacticprobe
Like 14th said, welcome to the TARDIS Builders Family! Your work is looking great so far. With that thread 14th linked to showing the floor plans of the current set, be sure to read down the thread for additional details, namely the number of vents in the floor. The floor plans as drawn show an octagonal shape, with two rows of 8 vents; the actual set as-built has a 9-section floor, and two rows of 9 vents.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

dichwer

So I'm really new to all this working on something while posting about it, so I'm completely unaware of how frequently I should document progress!  ???

So here's just a quick look at the progress on the first console panel so far. This will be the panel that has the throttle lever on it (the panel furthest from the entrance of the TARDIS)

So far it is just a basic layout, but next on the agenda is to add all of the necessary controls, buttons and lights. Something I'm aware of at the time is the brown colour on the lower panels, where it should be black, and that is currently being amended.

Again if you see anything that needs changing please let me know! More updates should follow in due course!

e51f589dba2f39adf02fc0f4c33a0af6.png

dichwer

Progress on the panel details so far..

a2031f9aad5c069f5807eb95b834425f.png

galacticprobe

May 08, 2017, 08:59 pm #11 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:00 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: dichwer on May 07, 2017, 12:35 pm
So I'm really new to all this working on something while posting about it, so I'm completely unaware of how frequently I should document progress!  ???

Well, basically, you post when you can. We don't hold anyone to a time table when it comes to posting Updates. We all know how life can get in the way, whether it's in the form of a family trip, an illness, work, school, etc. Some people will wait until they've made substantial progress and then make one long post (which you can do if you use the "Save Draft and Continue >>" button after selecting each image - it helps keep the software from timing out, which can happen if you select several images and then try to Save Draft, or post). Also, if you select several images without saving the draft after each image, not all the images will post sometimes.

Some people post an Update after each new thing they've done on their build, with several Updates being posted each day. There really is no set rule that says once you've started a Build Diary you have X amount of time in which to post the next Update "or else!".

Just post when you can, and if you feel that you've only done a small amount to your build and don't want to post (for example) "That third light from the left was green, but I've decided to make it yellow" just to show that change, then you can wait until you've gotten more done on the build before Updating. Since most people say what they've done when they post the Update, the small things like that will come out in the narrative.

We've had members go weeks before posting Updates for one reason or another, some members even longer. We never rush anyone's build. (If it has been a while, you may see a concerned member post a "How's everything going?" comment just to make sure that nothing bad has happened, which can range from anything from a computer crash and lost files, to have taken a tumble and broken an arm, or ended up having to move house and not being able to get on line for months... you get the idea. But that's not a "Hey! What's the hold-up with this?" It's just a concerned member worried about another member's welfare.)

I hope that helps explain things a little. If not, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to explain things in a more concise way, without having to clog your build diary with my babbling.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

dichwer

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been heavily impacted by a lot of college work meaning I haven't had much time to work on this project.

I've kept on trying to start work on it, but have lacked motivation to do so (creating controls are very repetitive and boring), so I decided to move onto another aspect of the project. The exterior.

Right from the start I have wanted the player to have the ability to leave and enter the TARDIS as they wish, so I thought I would get this part over and done with.

I decided to base the game on Gallifrey (for now) as, to me, it is the most iconic planet in the Doctor Who Universe. A huge amount of work needs to be done to the scenery to make it look more like Gallifrey, but the exterior model itself is pretty much done. The model itself only took around an hour to make as it an extremely simple object, that doesn't require much modelling or texture work. But enjoy!

7990b21262a71336b1eca59218df1bb4.png

dichwer

Another small update.

I've been working more on the Gallifrey scenery, and mainly making it look more like how it does on the screen. This has posed quite difficult so far, but I feel like i'm slowly getting there.

What does everyone think?

b97f7e77677a77cc9d16c30bebc4b03f.png