Mar 29, 2024, 01:33 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Ace's Nitro-9

Started by The14thDr, May 02, 2017, 05:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

I've managed to get my hands on some "close-enough" cans that will be suitable for a possible build, but after search for ages online, the only image I could find of the original prop was this one:
IMG_1286.JPG

I understand there were a number of different variants used by Ace throughout the series, so if anyone would be kind enough to post some more reference material it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

elkad

The14thDr

May 02, 2017, 06:15 pm #2 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:05 pm by The14thDr
Image taken borrowed from the build diary linked by elkad:
IMG_1287.JPG

EDIT: I also found this image of the same can with the cap on, tucked away inside one of the collapsed comment sections:
Battlefield 01.jpg

And here are some blueprints drawn by elkad, also tucked away in the same comment (hope you don't mind me reposting it here)
Nitro 9 Idea.JPG

Davros Skaro

Here's some shots that I have from "Remembrance of The Daleks", thought I had more, hope they help:

NDVD_018.jpg
NDVD_019.jpg
NDVD_020.jpg

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Those are great, thanks Davros Skaro!! Hopefully I'll get round to working on a few of these soon (always helps to have a few handy in the TARDIS, in case of any Dalek invasions ;))

Looking through the comments in Oblivian's build diary, it seems there were three versions of the nitro-9 canisters (plus the ones used in Remembrance of the Daleks)

QuoteI recently looked thew episode where ace used her nitro 9. I seen their are three types of nitro 9 cans.

In "Dragonfire", it was just the can, no mods.

In "Battlefeld" the timer mechanism mod was shown as a curled pin with one end in the middle & the other end on the edge to turn the timer.

"The Curse Of Fenric". It looked like the one in "Battlefield" but one slight difference, the pin was just a ring attached to a pin.

I've never seen any of these stories (nor do I have them on DVD) so could someone please verify whether there were any visual differences between the various versions of the prop?

Any help on this would be very greatly appreciated.

The14thDr

May 03, 2017, 09:05 pm #5 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:20 am by The14thDr
Apologies for the double-post, but I found a sort of "Ace tribute video" on YouTube and took some screencaps of the nitro-9 from there.

I've no idea which story this is from, but Ace attaches just a plain silver can to the door (presumably via magnets.) These versions don't appear to have any sort of caps at all (in fact they don't even seem to taper inwards at the top - a different type of can perhaps?)
IMG_1300.PNG

And here is another variant from The Curse of Fenric. These canisters seem to have just a plain, dark grey cap, as opposed to the taller, white cap we see in earlier stories.
IMG_1302.PNG
IMG_1303.PNG
IMG_1304.PNG

I hope someone finds this useful.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: The14thDr on May 03, 2017, 09:05 pm
Apologies for the double-post, but I found a sort of "Ace tribute video" on YouTube and took some screencaps of the nitro-9 from there.

I've no idea which story this is from, but Ace attachesjust a plain silver can to the door (presumably via magnets.) These versions don't appear to have any sort of caps at all (in fact they don't even seem to taper inwards at the top - a different type of can perhaps?)
IMG_1300.PNG

I hope someone finds this useful.

This is from "Dragon Fire" when ACE first comes into it.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

May 04, 2017, 05:00 am #7 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:00 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Davros Skaro on May 03, 2017, 11:22 pm
This is from "Dragon Fire" when ACE first comes into it.

You beat me to it, Chris! ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

May 04, 2017, 05:25 am #8 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:34 am by Davros Skaro
Some more of the cans from "Dragonfire", & I'll get grabs from the other shows too & post later.

NDVD_024.jpg
NDVD_025.jpg
NDVD_026.jpg
NDVD_028.jpg
NDVD_031.jpg
NDVD_033.jpg
NDVD_037.jpg
NDVD_038.jpg
These I hope you can see the tops of the cans, they were a bit dark & I lightened the best I could, someone else might have better luck. The originals are first then the ones I tried to lighten.
NDVD_059.jpg
NDVD_059.1.jpg
NDVD_060.jpg
NDVD_060.1.jpg
NDVD_061.jpg
NDVD_061.1.jpg
NDVD_063.jpg
NDVD_063.1.jpg

Hope these help. More pics later.

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Thanks ever so much Chris!! Looks like in that story there wasn't any kind of timer on the canisters, just a white cap that got pulled off when the nitro-9 was used.

These are excellent screen caps, I can't wait for the next post. :)

Davros Skaro

May 04, 2017, 08:29 am #10 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:30 am by Davros Skaro
"Battlefield" Nitro 9 cans.

NDVD_040.jpg
NDVD_041.jpg
NDVD_042.jpg
NDVD_043.jpg
NDVD_044.jpg

The "Y" symbol rotates to signify that the timer is running.

Chris.
Chris.

Davros Skaro

May 05, 2017, 06:32 am #11 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:40 am by Davros Skaro
"Curse of Fenric" Nitro 9 cans.

NDVD_021.jpg
NDVD_021.1.jpg
NDVD_022.jpg
NDVD_023.jpg
NDVD_024.jpg
Here you can see the pull rings on Ace's bag.
NDVD_024.1.jpg
NDVD_025.jpg
NDVD_026.jpg
The cans are suppose to have exploded here, but you can still see them on the ground. Something you won't see at normal speed.
NDVD_026.1.jpg

That's all of them, Enjoy.

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Thanks for posting these Davros Skaro!! Looking at those last pictures, the Curse of Fenric canisters appear to have the same "lids" as the Battlefield versions, only with the tops painted completely grey, without the Y-shape. (The reason I saw this is because you can see the red and yellow stripes around the edges in some of your images.)

So, putting together a list of variants from each of the different stories, I'd say it would go something like this:

Dragonfire - Plain white cap with nothing underneath; possibly magnetic to stick to the door.

Battlefield - White cap with silver, red and yellow timer underneath; has a pull ring in the timer.

Curse of Fenric - White cap with the same timer as the "Battlefield" version, but with the top painted plain grey

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone (let me know if I got anything wrong here; it never hurts to get a second opinion on these things)

And as usual, thanks to Davros Skaro for getting this fantastic screengrabs for us all.

too_many_cars

I'm interested in making a few Nitro cans, and having a water bottle built into one or several of them makes a lot of sense for convention floor thirst or bartending while in costume as the 7th Doctor.  Does anyone know how close the dimensions of the water bottle Elkad posted (8.26" H x 2.83" W x 2.83" D) on the 14th Doctor's build diary are to the original cheese or whipped cream cans used on the show?

At $20 each in the United States, I'd like to check before buying a handful of them!

--Brian

Davros Skaro

Have a look at this build of Oblivion's, he tells you exactly what can it was, plus other info.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6289.0

Chris.
Chris.