Apr 27, 2024, 04:51 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Barnacle's TARDIS

Started by barnacle, Apr 26, 2017, 11:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

barnacle

Thank you!  it's been quite helpful having a cheering section here on the board.  ;D

The roof's going on in a bit, as soon as the Better Half's available, and then... (dun dun DUN!)  I'll begin fiddling about with the doors.

(The pan lid turned out better than I thought.  Glad I kept the knob... it amuses me.)

barnacle

Well, that took less time than I thought... only about 15 minutes' grunting, sweating, and swearing (thank God the Better Half is as tall as I am) and the roof begrudgingly slipped down inside the other frame, hopefully for the last time.  Rehydration commencing, then it's back out to screw it down and caulk all the seams I undoubtedly opened up shoving it into place...  ;D
2017-09-15 Roof installed! resize.jpg

Volpone

She's really coming together (no pun intended).  I knew that roof would be fine.  That's a more pronounced roof than the Newberry, the Barachaki refit and at least on par with the original prop.  And the PVC pipes on the lamp were a really good call.  Looks great. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

barnacle

Thanks for suggesting the pipe option.  5/8" PVC doesn't have much rigidity in 8-foot lengths, but when you cut it down to 7 1/2 inches in length, it's plenty stiff enough.  I am thoroughly delighted with how it turned out.

barnacle

Also, a late add this afternoon:  I knew I kept the squares of plywood I cut out of the walls back in May for a reason... flipped 'em around to the white side, did a quick trace of the proof-of-concept window frame that was also still hanging around, taped 'em off and hit them with a can of dove gray left over from 14 years ago (but miraculously had NOT turned to cheese).  Result: my only concession to the end of summer as temporary "windows."

2017-09-15 Temporary windows resize.jpg

barnacle

Sep 19, 2017, 12:33 am #80 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 12:33 am by barnacle
Roof performed flawlessly in the first rain squall it received... except for the one seam I missed with the caulking.  Damn and blast.

And it's supposed to be intermittent showers throughout the next few days, so... fresh caulking, trashbags, and tape to the rescue.  Thankfully no breezes are anticipated.2017-09-18 Chasing leaks crop.jpg

barnacle

Been a bit of time since I've posted; the tarp job failed and that caulking had to wait for a few days of dry.  Looks like I've contained it, though.  Hooray!

First door heavily glued and placed into traction...

2017-10-01 Left (east) door glued resize.jpg

fivefingeredstyre

Glad your weatherproofing is holding up. Rain is the bane of a TARDIS Builders life. I've lost rack of the hours I've spent running round with a sealant gun...

Can't wait to see this one finished :)

barnacle

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Oct 02, 2017, 05:46 am
Can't wait to see this one finished :)

Funny you should mention, neither can I.  ;D

barnacle

Oct 09, 2017, 01:17 am #84 Last Edit: Oct 09, 2017, 01:19 am by barnacle
Well, Door #1 is out of traction, with a sizeable warp near the top that I'm not quite sure how to compensate for, but the first setting of the hinge holes went quite well.  It still needs some adjusting (like sanding a gentle bevel on the hinge edge so it gets a little closer to where it needs to be to register as 'closed'), of course, and heaven only knows how the second door will fit, but...

...progress.  Always progress.

2017-10-08 Door test fit resize.jpg

I can't grumble, because it swings freely. ;D

barnacle

#2 fits better.  They're a little off in how they meet, but IDGAD at the moment.  I'm working on getting the left door to swing in as far as it should, mostly by pretending my belt sander is an electric planer (hey, I took band, not shop).

But they're rounding the final curve and coming down the home stretch at this point.  Yay!

2017-10-09 second door fitting and adjusting resize.jpg

barnacle

Spent today with the doors back in the shop, getting paint smeared upon them... I had to decide between 'ventilation' and 'enough heat to get the paint to be paint instead of cheese.'

'Heat' won by a narrow margin.  ;D

barnacle

And, after a second coat of blue, I'm busily searching the less-likely places for my missing "St. John's" stickers... sigh. I bought them years ago and stashed them somewhere safe...

... and while sniveling about it here, just realized where they are--in the same box as my 36-inch PPCB stickers that I opted not to use because the font bothered me.  (Right font but wrong compression ratio.  And they're best for indoor use.  Anyone need 'em? ;D)

Volpone

LOL.  The dreaded "I'll put these some place safe, where I won't lose them."  You didn't find my darts while you were getting them.  That's where I put them after moving but before setting up the darts board. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

barnacle

My late father once placed his salt and pepper shakers inside the flour canister before moving and couldn't remember where he'd left them until he went to make gravy several months later.  (He put them in the flour canister every time he moved after that.)

No luck on the darts, but as I'm giving serious consideration to giving my office an full tilt boogie, all-out cleaning I'll keep an eye out for them. 

And I'll check the TARDIS, too.  That may take a while...  ;)