Mar 29, 2024, 02:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Barnacle's TARDIS

Started by barnacle, Apr 26, 2017, 11:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

She's really coming together now.  It's got a little bit of a McGann movie vibe--only with nuWho POLICE BOX signs and classic series 70s paint. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

barnacle

Thanks!  I love the 70's blue, and TBH the nuWho signage was the easiest to engineer the boxes for.  I'll have to study McGann's box... to my untrained amateur eye, it looks like a Newbery built to nuWho proportions--until I get the roof on.  It rains entirely too much up here in the PNW to do a Newbery roof.  8)

fivefingeredstyre

Its funny how they all look 'Newbery' until you put on the roof :D

Nice sturdy build going on there, Barnacle, those columns will make sure the box will withstand a tornado!

barnacle

I never thought about it, but yes, they do all look Newbery until the lid goes on!

I do have a tendency to build stout; here's hoping I can build 'water-resistant,' too  ;D

barnacle

Not much visible difference, but there's some internal structural bits added (to help bear the weight of the roof); also, despite what it looks like, there's actually four bits of unpainted wood in the picture.  Roof transition and the first step (which is a vertical 2x6, ripped down and beveled on top--not a conventional move, but I didn't want to give the rain any more places to pool than necessary) are cut and sanded.  Next up, after work this week, is to fill, re-sand, prime, and paint them all so I have a nice collection of "blue bits" to install first thing on days off.  This tactic is effective at getting me moving earlier in the day than one would think.  ;D

2017-08-18 Roof transition and first step resize.jpg

barnacle

Made the transition from walls to roof today, plus first "step" of the roof.  I've beveled the top of the step, because I don't particularly want water accumulating there.  Can't hardly see it from the ground anyway.

2017-08-23 Roof transition and first step complete - resize.jpg

alistair

That is looking really nice. I have not beveled the flat area on my roof which is a decision I suspect I will come to regret! It is just a flat sheet of plywood though so I'm not sure how I would have done it.

barnacle

Aug 24, 2017, 10:47 pm #52 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017, 11:25 pm by barnacle
Next tier.  Photographed and then removed, so I can build the rest of the frame within it.  Starting with working out how big I need the center platform to be.  7 inch Fresnel, I figure about a 2 1/2 inch lip on the "sombrero" so I have room for dowels.

Progress, says I.
2017-08-24 Second tier-roof frame test fit resize.jpg

Meanwhile, first fling at the lantern.  Y'know that one pan lid that doesn't fit the pan anymore because you dropped it?

2017-08-24 lantern detail resize.jpg

barnacle

After a false start on the roof rafters (cut the whole bloody lot too short), the roof frame is now complete... test-fitted, and then some parts reseated so they were a little more comfortable.  I feel like I'm finally homing in on completion...

2017-08-26 roof frame complete resize.jpg2017-08-26 roof frame fitted crop.jpg

barnacle

Roof decking complete, and frame nestled back into place--going to screw the decking down more tightly before I pop it back out; might as well use the decking as a framing member.  ;)

2017-08-29 roof fitting crop.jpg

And a closeup of the nearly finished roofline.  Not really any one particular design, but still one that says 'TARDIS.'  I'm very pleased with the results so far.  And now, with the roof getting fiberglass tomorrow, I'm down to the doors and windows.  With the added benefit that the frame should stop moving now.  ;D

2017-08-29 roof fitting closeup resize.jpg

BioDoctor900

Just a bit of constructive criticism. I feel that the roof looks a bit low, and I think the reason for this is that the posts come a little taller above the top signs than they should. Looking at it, if you were to trim a couple of inches off the top of each post, the roof wouldn't look as squashed

You'll see what I mean here...http://okocasopis.sk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/tardis_2-wallpaper-2560x1600.jpg

Other than that, you're making great progress

BioDoctor900

Volpone

I have faith that it will work.  Part of it is camera angle.  In the first pic, it looks much taller than in the detail pic.  It's a bit low for a police box, but for a nonspecific TARDIS, it should be fine.  Both the refit Barachaki and the Newbery had very flat roofs.  Even the top step on the original Barachaki is undersized (I had a taller step on mine, but I cut it down to look more Barachaki, if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have.)  The good news is, if he doesn't like it, that's a pretty easy fix. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

barnacle

I was looking at that, thinking that it did look a bit flat.  (Oh dear God, I've been bitten by the bug...)  The top painted tier is notched out so that it would be one hell of a refit job if I were to cut down the posts; I'd have to remake the parts to fit (AGAIN).  The upper, unpainted one, however, I can still raise up (it's not actually attached; there's cleats inside the box where it sits).  I might raise it up a half-inch or so (about all I can achieve without making the next ring down look excessively stubby.

Doesn't help that I beveled said edge to avoid a a raincatcher, either.

Anyway, as Volpone said, this is a non-specific TARDIS. But it definitely has its roots in Newbery, which looks rather different from the contemporary boxes (though my sorta-Newbery is built to new box proportions because it also has to function as a shed).  I don't think I'm going to be redesigning it at this time... it's nearly September and any decent weather in the Pacific Northwest after Labor Day is a gift from mother Nature.  Gotta get her closed up and start playing weatherproofing games.

alistair

Yes, I think the main reason it looks flat in the close up is because of the rain dispersing bevel in the step, which is not visible from most viewing angles. Maybe lifting is up on the brackets might be worth doing but I wouldn't bother with anything further (says me with a completely non-canon build!).

I think it looks fabulous.

barnacle

No photos to add yet, but the first coat of resin is on with the cloth.  I'll check back in an hour to see if it's dry enough for coat #2 (the first coat went on before lunch, so it isn't like I'm hugely rushing it).