Apr 25, 2024, 02:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

White Lamp?

Started by Rassilons Rod, May 09, 2007, 11:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

May 14, 2007, 10:31 am #15 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:42 pm by scarfwearer
So, other than additions like the door frame, the only major changes would be the roof stack then? The roof stack being my one major gripe with this box. It looks a lot nicer in Logopolis, I think...

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

robuk

May 10, 2007, 08:55 am #16 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:43 pm by scarfwearer
That's a good grab of the Newbury box, Marc, showing some details that I hadn't really noticed before. Thanks for posting it!

I'd always assumed that the corner posts were pretty much square, but from that pic it looks like they're slightly rounded. I recall reading somewhere (maybe on the TARDIS library?) that there was some corner detail, but I've never seen a pic that makes it obvious as to what, or how much etc.

Good detail on how the sign boxes fit around the corner posts, and of the roof, too. Hehe can you tell that this is my fave box? :-)

Also, from that angle, the panels in the wall look much more shallow than I'd previously thought, though I suppose that could be an optical illusion.

Rob.

robuk

May 10, 2007, 09:44 am #17 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:43 pm by scarfwearer
So what would you change?

Apart from the fact that I like it, this box has the advantage of having the shorter roof, so it would just about fit in here. That said, I might have to reduce the height of the lamp base a little to make sure. And the lamp itself might end up with 4 supports, rather than 3. Or maybe not - the lamp on this box seems to have changed so often that anything would probably work :-)

Also I'd probably do something about the extra wide base of the box itself. Not that I have any problem with the look of it, but it would take up precious floor space, so I'd probably go with a narrower base.

A door handle might be a good idea, too, even though this box didn't have one.

I don't know whether they would be big enough changes to significantly change the nature of the box, though. The lamp and lamp base would be pretty much out of sight anyway, but the base and the handle might be more important. Decisions, decisions...

Rob.

robuk

May 10, 2007, 10:13 am #18 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:43 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: purpleblancmange board=general thread=1178754044 post=1178790415The lamp was "built" for the Newbery box, though I have no idea why they later swapped it for those other style lamps in its final years... maybe they'd thought it needed a bit of a change or they'd misplaced it - the latter tended to happen a lot because the lamp was always looked after by the FX department, while the main prop was taken care of by the Scenery Dept.

Hehe, that sounds like a recipe for chaos! The different lamp looks are interesting, though neither the "oil lamp" nor the panda car style light really appeal to me.

Quote from: purpleblancmange board=general thread=1178754044 post=1178790415The corner posts - yes, there was a quadrant beading there on the three visible corners, but with the thick layer of artex slapped all over the place, it masked them quite a bit.  The best reference photo that I've seen of this feature is on one of the birthday cards from 1979.  Alternatively, it's quite clear in Robots of Death in the scene which the Doctor and Leela exit the TARDIS - the camera goes in quite close at this point.

Hmmm, any idea how wide the quadrant beading was? I think I've read that the posts were still 6 inches wide, so I'd guess maybe an inch?

Thanks for the pointers towards reference pics - I'll have another close look at Robots of Death. Also, I vaguely recall that some of the old Dr Who Weeky mags may have had cover pics of the box - I think possibly from Invasion of Time and Stones of Blood, at least. The filing cabinet containing all my old DWWs is currently burried under too much junk to get at them without it turning into a major expedition, but I'll be having a clearout in here this week or next. When I get in there, I'll be happy to scan and post any pics that look useful.

Rob.

robuk

May 18, 2007, 12:44 pm #19 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:44 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=general thread=1178754044 post=1179138679So, other than additions like the door frame, the only major changes would be the roof stack then? The roof stack being my one major gripe with this box. It looks a lot nicer in Logopolis, I think...

-Marc

What about the steps under the sign box? Does this box have them apart from a sort of "natural" step caused but the frame? I can't make one out on the pics on the TARDIS library, but I could be missing it!

Rob.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: robuk on May 18, 2007, 12:44 pm
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=general thread=1178754044 post=1179138679So, other than additions like the door frame, the only major changes would be the roof stack then? The roof stack being my one major gripe with this box. It looks a lot nicer in Logopolis, I think...

-Marc

What about the steps under the sign box? Does this box have them apart from a sort of "natural" step caused but the frame? I can't make one out on the pics on the TARDIS library, but I could be missing it!

Rob.

I would say no to steps... And for evidence I offer the following 2 photos.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=250.msg389#msg389

And this one... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/rassilonsrod/Horns%20Of%20Nimon/178HornsofNimon_04.jpg

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.