May 01, 2024, 09:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Series 10 Prop - "Pencil Pot"

Started by The14thDr, Apr 15, 2017, 10:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Apr 15, 2017, 10:27 pm Last Edit: Sep 10, 2018, 05:38 pm by Scarfwearer
On the Doctor's desk in his lecturer's study we see a jar full of old sonic screwdrivers. A nice little touch to all eras of the show and a fun bit of set dressing.
IMG_1026.JPG

All the main versions of the sonic are there (apart from the War Doctor's, strangely enough); 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th.

Upon further inspection, the Fourth and Tenth Doctor's sonics appear to be the Character Options toys. To me the 4th Doctor's looks less metallic than the others, and the emitter ring is definitely missing that metallic sheen. The 9th/10th Doctor's is also a lot bigger than it should be compared to the other sonics.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

BioDoctor900

Looking at the pot, It's not a 'Pencil Pot', It's actually one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Acacia-Seasoned-with-Love-Salt-Pinch-Pot-Pig-Storage-Jar-Canister-Caddy-/401105830671?hash=item5d63c5430f:g:bdYAAOSw7KJXD6VU

You can see the screw thread at the top of the pot and the tapered base, obviously, it has no writing on, but its the same shape and style

BioDoctor900

Cardinal Hordriss

I was wondering about the thread round the top. I keep my sonics in a pot already so was looking for a good match for the one in the episode but couldn't find one so thanks.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Cardinal Hordriss

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Apr 24, 2017, 12:44 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Acacia-Seasoned-with-Love-Salt-Pinch-Pot-Pig-Storage-Jar-Canister-Caddy-/401105830671?hash=item5d63c5430f:g:bdYAAOSw7KJXD6VU

You can see the screw thread at the top of the pot and the tapered base, obviously, it has no writing on, but its the same shape and style

BioDoctor900

Update on this. It's the right shape but too small and not a screw on lid, will keep searching.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Cardinal Hordriss

Look what I saw in the console room today -

IMG_20170503_155143.jpg

warmcanofcoke

May 05, 2017, 05:14 pm #5 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:16 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Apr 24, 2017, 12:44 pm

BioDoctor900

Was about to buy one of these ...
tea 500.jpg

until I saw this pic:
salt500.jpg
So close!!! But no wooden screw thread.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Cardinal Hordriss

Was about to buy one of these ...
tea 500.jpg

until I saw this pic:
salt500.jpg
So close!!! But no wooden screw thread.

I bought one last week, it's way too small unfortunately.

Davros Skaro

Does anyone know the approximate size of what the "Pencil Pot" could be please?

Chris.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

I'd estimate using my current sonic pot that it's about 11cm and perhaps about 10cm in diameter but my pot is leather so not as thick.

tannim

Jun 20, 2017, 03:12 am #9 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017, 07:09 am by tannim
It's not a pot or a jar. It's a Victorian lignum vitae string box.  ;)
18519643_10154406385916610_1459049964100293924_n.jpg

timewomble

So it is! With the lid unscrewed.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/142143361061?roken=cUgayN&_mwBanner=1

Well done! How did you identify it?

tannim

Jun 20, 2017, 06:59 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2017, 06:00 pm by warmcanofcoke
I had a chance to see the real one during my TARDIS set tour, so I took a bunch of photos of it. And when I saw the top was threaded, I realized it had to be some kind of a container and not just a cup or pot like people originally thought. After that, it was just digging around online for about a week looking at various kinds of wooden threaded containers until I finally found the right one on ebay. And when it arrived, it completely matched the one on set (so I filled it with my sonics lol).  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORIAN-LIGNUM-VITAE-TREEN-STRING-BARREL-BOX-c-1850-1890-to-go-on-shop-countre/182531736301?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sonicpot2.JPG   Sonicpot1.JPG

Antique Barrel String Box

Here as a buy it now is a Victorian (c 1850 - 1890) lignum vitae barrel string box, which is in good usable condition, and pleasing patina.

This Victorian lignum vitae box is made from three turned parts (base, middle section, and top). The top (lid) unscrews to reveal a barrel section which would have contained string or twine. The string is dispensed through a hole in the lid that would have been pulled out, and then cut off to length. These boxes were used in shops, and prevented the ball of string rolling around uncontrollably, while wrapping the customer's goods.

The string box has signs of wear, scratches, small splits, knocks, etc, (please see photographs for condition). Please note part of the thread is missing in places (please see photograph), but the lid still holds well, although such lids are often tricky to a line, so as not to screw on crookedly.

The box measures approximately 153 mm (6") high and  140 mm (5  1/2") wide.

tannim

Quote from: Davros Skaro on May 10, 2017, 11:59 pm
Does anyone know the approximate size of what the "Pencil Pot" could be please?

Chris.

It measures approximately 153 mm (6") high and  140 mm (5  1/2") wide.

galacticprobe

Jun 20, 2017, 07:09 am #13 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017, 07:11 am by galacticprobe
Quick question to clarify the measurements... does the 5 1/2 inches wide include the flared base? Or is that just the diameter of the cylindrical part where the string (or sonics) goes? Also, does the height include the lid, or is that without the lid?

Great find, by the way. (Would have been a bit heavy on my wallet, especially once shipping was added in.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tannim

That includes the base/lid. The inside diameter of it is just over 4".  Height includes the lid.