Apr 20, 2024, 01:58 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Under the Lake: Pritchard's Business Card

Started by The14thDr, Apr 15, 2017, 11:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Apr 15, 2017, 11:00 am Last Edit: Apr 28, 2017, 07:38 pm by warmcanofcoke
I found this image of Pritchard's business card from the episode Under the Lake and thought it would be cool to give this a try (how hard can it be? ;)) I adjusted the angle of the image to make it easier to work out the proportions/spacing for all of the pieces (I normally just overlay my graphic over the original image to make sure I'm getting something close to what it is I'm trying to achieve.)
card reference.jpg

This is where I'm at with the card so far. I had to adjust an image of the Vector Petroleum logo a couple of times, first for the flame design in the centre of the card, then for the yellow-and-black variant in the lower left-hand corner. As you can see I've already got most of the elements there, I'm just struggling to make out some of the writing on the original prop.
pritchard_card_v1.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

cobalt

Apr 15, 2017, 12:28 pm #1 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 12:28 pm by cobalt
I believe VECTOR PETROLEUM was written using a font called Tachyon:
https://www.fonts.com/font/fonthead-design-inc/tachyon/regular

The14thDr

Apr 15, 2017, 04:58 pm #2 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 05:20 pm by The14thDr
Thanks cobalt. I think a few of the letters in the font I used weren't an exact match to the original font, but that "Tachyon" font looks spot-on.

Thanks for sharing. :)

------ Updated ------

Okay, I've been looking at that tiny piece of text underneath the "Richard Pritchard" and I think I've managed to deduce what most of the lettering is.
IMG_1014.JPG

Vice President of Xxx-xxxxxxx Resources

The number of "X"s is consistent with how many letters I was able to count in that word (although I may be wrong.)

EDIT: that first "missing" word appears to be 'Sub', and the second letter on that second missing word appears to go below the baseline of the rest of the text, e.g. like a "y" or a "p".

EDIT #2: the third letter from the end of that second missing word looks taller than the rest of the letters, so it could be something like a "t" or an "l". Thoughts?

EDIT #3: I just showed the image to my friend and he suggested that the missing word could be "aquatic". What does everyone think, it certainly fits the pattern above?

Mark

My initial thought was sub aquatic but I couldn't work out the bit after.

Since you've put resources, I can see it says that as plain as day!

galacticprobe

Apr 16, 2017, 05:38 am #4 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2017, 05:39 am by galacticprobe
Yes; it took a bit of eye-watering squinting (and believe it or not a magnifying lens against the monitor - hey, it worked without pixelating things the way zooming in did), and it does indeed say "Vice President of Sub-aquatic Resources" (case-sensitive, as typed here).

Great work in getting that one sorted, 14th and Mark! And nice find on that font, cobalt!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Apr 19, 2017, 05:03 am #5 Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017, 05:03 am by galacticprobe
Excellent job on those cards, 14th! And I looked around for that Tachyon font. Normally I can eventually find a site that has a free download of just about any font out there, but unfortunately not this one; they all want $$$ for it. The one you found I think is a very good match for it and it works well.

On your white version for printing on yellow card stock, I think you can remove the yellow from the bits on the bottom black banner and make them white. Since printers don't normally print "white" (unless you get one of those expensive artsy printers that does print in white - usually for home-made decals), those bits on the banner will print "clear", and look yellow from the yellow card stock. Printing yellow on yellow might make that part a bit dark.

And if people take this image and insert it into one of the business card templates that most word processors have (I know MS Word has several), it will size the image accordingly. You can insert it in the whole template, and then when you print it out on one of the perforated business card papers you can get at an Office Depot/Max-type store, all you need to do is fold the page along the perforations, and then carefully separate each card. (I think you can get about 10 cards out of one page using the template.)

Once again, great job creating this one. It's a beauty!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Apr 30, 2018, 04:01 pm #6 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 04:21 pm by The14thDr
This afternoon I "reworked" my graphic for the Vector Petroleum business card (by which I mean redesigning the whole thing by scratch :P) Using the screenshot at the top of the page as I guide, I edited the text in Paint.Net, squashed some of the letters together, stretched others out, made the "Vector Petroleum" thicker, etc. to match the original prop as closely as I could.

(I also deleted my last post as it didn't really contain anything important and I didn't want people to be confused about which was the final version of the business card.)
vector-card-finished.jpg

Here is a link to the full-sized, 300 DPI resolution .PNG files for the business card (I also included a more printer friendly version with transparent background that can be printed onto yellow card or paper to give the same appearance as the original prop without using a whole cartridge of ink in the process!)
http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/terrabyteprops/library/Paper%20Props%20and%20Graphics?sort=3&page=1

The password for the album can be found at the very top of my profile, I only ask in return that you don't share the password or files with anybody outside this forum as I've had people trying to pass my work off as their own, sell it for their own profit, etc. which isn't what I had in mind when I made them available for others to use.

Finally, thank you to cobalt for managing to identify the correct font used on the business card, as well as to Dino and Mark for their support and input.

Kind regards,
-- 14th