Mar 29, 2024, 10:06 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

"Classic" Dalek Gunstick build

Started by The14thDr, Apr 13, 2017, 08:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Apr 13, 2017, 08:27 am Last Edit: Apr 13, 2017, 06:43 pm by The14thDr
After a fair bit of thought and deliberation, I've finally decided to give this one a try, but with a slight twist. ;)

If I remember correctly, the Dalek gunstick that the Doctor steals in The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar was meant to be an early prototype that Davros built when he first invented his Dalek creations.

So why does it look like a gunstick from the newer Daleks? Surely if this was a prototype weapon from the early Daleks, it would, y'know, look like a gunstick from the early Daleks?

I'll be building my own version of this prop, based around one of the Genesis Daleks rather than the 2005 Daleks (which in the timey-wimey timeline of Doctor Who is actually the original type of Dalek ;))

Wow... that was a lengthy introduction. ;D Onto the build! ;D

For this build I'll be using the Project Dalek Forum's "Shawcraft Mk.1, 2 & 3" plans.

The first step was to gather the first of my materials: a 4" polystyrene ball, some 20mm PVC pipe (the plans specify 2.5cm - 1" - thick, but this was the closest I had to hand), a tin foil tube and some spare wires from the parts box.
IMG_0956.JPG

I then drilled a 20mm hole roughly halfway into the polystyrene ball, and wrapped the end of the PVC pipe in duct tape to make it a tight fit.
IMG_0958.JPG

More updates soon.
Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Davros Skaro

That is going to look great, I did something that might help you, check this post out. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7601.msg95582#msg95582

Chris.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Something else for me to keep an eye on. I was going to make a scaled down gun-stick to fit to that anti-time device toy, as the prototype had and was described as being carried by Cinder in the Time War so I'll be watching your method for inspiration.

Out of interest, what's the most number of projects you've had on the go at any one time?

I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Apr 13, 2017, 10:44 am
That is going to look great, I did something that might help you, check this post out. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7601.msg95582#msg95582

Chris.

Thanks for taking the time to post those screen caps Chris. They will definitely be helpful (I think I'll build a combination of the Witch's Familiar and Genesis gunsticks, with a bit of creative license thrown in. ;)

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Apr 13, 2017, 12:09 pm
Something else for me to keep an eye on. I was going to make a scaled down gun-stick to fit to that anti-time device toy, as the prototype had and was described as being carried by Cinder in the Time War so I'll be watching your method for inspiration.

Thanks Cardinal. :) I can't wait to see your build of you do get round to building a scaled-down gun stick.

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Apr 13, 2017, 12:09 pm
Out of interest, what's the most number of projects you've had on the go at any one time?

Now that is a very good question. :D I think the worst it's ever been was last summer, when I had to keep a list just so I knew what I was working on (I think at its longest there were about 11 things on that list, most of which were either scrapped or unfinished.) ;D Nowadays I tend to stick to around 4-5 projects at any one time, but right now I have a couple that are nearing completion so that frees up more time to start one or two more projects. ;D ;D

elkad

Mechanically, are you going to have an led light or shooter that pops out, if you plan for your gun to fire?

The14thDr

Apr 13, 2017, 04:36 pm #5 Last Edit: Apr 13, 2017, 04:39 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: elkad on Apr 13, 2017, 04:24 pm
Mechanically, are you going to have an led light or shooter that pops out, if you plan for your gun to fire?

Nope, I'll most likely leave this as a static prop as I don't have the skills or budget to add any electronics or mechanical parts.

------ Update ------

I made this little template in Publisher to help me accurately mark out the distances between each of the bars on the main barrel (is there any proper terminology for these bars? ???)
IMG_0964.JPG

For the back end of the pivot ball (at the base of where the "handle" will be) I created a paper template, which I then traced onto foam.
(I also picked up a cool-looking sink plug to use as part of the handle assembly :D)
IMG_0971.JPG

I then fixed the foam shape to the pivot ball using double sided tape and PVA glue, then used plenty of tape to hold the corners down whilst I waited for the glue to dry.
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG

More updates tomorrow.

russellsuthern

I think "gun rods" is the appropriate term.
Looking good, can't wait to see it completed!

Russ

The14thDr

Thanks Russell. That definitely sounds right. :)

I've almost finished the handgrip now so expect another update tonight.

The14thDr

Apr 14, 2017, 05:07 pm #8 Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017, 05:14 pm by The14thDr
Today I managed to all-but complete the handgrip for my Dalek gun.

In true 70s Doctor Who style, I decided to go for a custom design using whatever bits and pieces I could find around the house.

For the top of the handgrip I used the cool-looking sink plug from yesterday's update and the bottom half of one of those plastic eggs (the type with a small bag of sweets and a toy inside.)
The lower part is a cardboard tube and some sort of plastic lid.
IMG_0978.JPG

To the top half of the handgrip I added a load of wires for that slightly busy, high-tech feel.
IMG_0979.JPG

And here is the assembled handgrip:
IMG_0982.JPG

Last for today, I painted the handgrip a nice silver and  gunmetal grey, to match the Genesis Daleks on which this build is based.
IMG_0986.JPG

I still have a couple more details that I'd like to add, so expect the next update sometime tomorrow.

Davros Skaro

very nicely & cleverly done, can't wait to see what you do next! well done. :-)

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Thanks Davro Skaro! It's not really accurate to either version of the prop, but as I said, I just threw this together with whatever I had to hand and managed to get a decent design out of it. ;D

Now I just need to finish off the bottom part of the handgrip and add the "gun rods" to the main barrel.

Hopefully this should be a pretty quick build. :)

The14thDr

Apr 15, 2017, 04:19 pm #11 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2017, 10:49 pm by The14thDr
Not much of an update for today.

However, this morning I glued the handgrip to the ball pivot. There are some areas where the foam section doesn't quite sit flat against the polystyrene ball, but hey, it's a 400-year-old prototype beam distributor gun, so it's never going to be perfect. ;) ;D ;D
IMG_1012.JPG

I also managed to get some wire coat hangers, so if the weather picks up a little tomorrow, I'll hopefully get them cut down to length and give you a proper update if and when.

elkad

Apr 15, 2017, 07:16 pm #12 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 07:16 pm by elkad
Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 13, 2017, 04:36 pm
Quote from: elkad on Apr 13, 2017, 04:24 pm

Nope, I'll most likely leave this as a static prop as I don't have the skills or budget to add any electronics or mechanical parts.

(suggestion) All you need is a few cut plastic or metal prongs & a metal antenna center attached to a wood dowel, or wire some LED's to a battery back & switch.

The14thDr

Thanks for the suggestions. I may eventually get round to adding some form of firing mechanism, so this post will be useful. :)

galacticprobe

Apr 16, 2017, 05:53 am #14 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2017, 06:05 am by galacticprobe
I just remembered... in the Pertwee story "Death to the Daleks", after a Dalek has a run-in with one of the Exxilon City's roots while following the Doctor in a cave, all that's left of the Dalek is the gun. The Doctor brings it out of the cave with him, and between him and Bellal they carry that Dalek gun around with them for a while.

Also, when the Daleks first land and try to fire their guns (start of Part 3, I believe) there's no power for them so you get a decent look at the prongs and other mechanism that slides in and out of the gun (no SFX rays to block the view or cut-aways to the hapless sod getting zapped). So maybe a few screen grabs from that story will help with this replica?

They may have even used the same prop for "Genesis" but with a slight redress, but the shape should be the same.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"