Mar 28, 2024, 08:56 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Haven Lamp for Capaldi Build

Started by Berenvonbaggins, Jan 08, 2023, 03:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Berenvonbaggins

I've been trying to find a source of the "New Haven" outdoor lamp I've seen in PMC and MrMcgoo's builds (here's an image from PMC's build diary)
05EE7205-4437-4079-826E-A28D33A19A5B.jpeg
I think however that the manufacturer has discontinued the item. Does anyone know of a place I could get the lamp, or perhaps an alternative?
"Do hurry up. A hamster with a blunt penknife would do it quicker."
- 4th Doctor, Androids of Tara

alexcutler

I always find it slightly intriguing that all the close-ups of actual "fresnel" lamps that could or did fit on top of police boxes turn out to be fake fresnel lamps with no attempt to produce the differing ridge angles required to "fresnel" the light.

Did nobody ever attempt to create a real fresnel glass case at this scale?

[sorry - I realise this information in no way answers your real question!!]

Volpone

I did a cursory search for the big box stores with no initial luck.  I did find a one-off kerosene lantern on eBay or something that wasn't *too* expensive and might have been modifiable. 

It must be nice to be the actual show's prop builder.  You just pick the closest one to what you want that fits your budget and it's right.  Because you say it's right and they'll be using it on the show.  Then the rest of us have to come up with something. 

I feel like at least a few people have scratch-built this type of lamp.  It's too bad GalacticProbe isn't here anymore.  He'd be able to find one of the relevant builds within 24 hours of me saying this. 

As far as the shape versus being an actual lens, it's a simple matter of cost and function.  It's a lot more glass to make a lens.  More weight, more material, more expensive shipping.  And most people don't need an actual lens--or even realize that's the reason for the shape.  But yeah, if you wanted an actual lens you'd either have to find one and make a plastic casting of it or get lucky in some nautical surplus store. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Berenvonbaggins

I'm thinking actually about making a 3D printed replica, it's a relatively easy shape to model and I'm not actually too worried about it not being glass, as long as the print lines aren't too noticeable. Might even get a company to do it for me using some fancy resin printer. On that subject, does anyone have measurements for the fresnel lens so I model/print a good life-size version?

Volpone

I should chime in with the source I used for my fake "fresnel":  Vermont Lanterns.  They may have something that would work but personally, for that kind of money, I'd just buy the fresnell shaped chimney (which I did) and gin up the rest. 

I went for a classic police box look, not the Capaldi lamp, but what I wound up doing was getting a 99 cent Wal*Mart plastic plate, Dremel-ing a hole in the middle so I could glue a solar lamp on top of it (partly for a light source and partly because it had the right shape) and cut a dollar store plastic bucket to make other parts of the shape and then wedge 4 dowels into the whole thing.  "Effective... but crude." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

brenk9carter

Quote from: Volpone on Jan 08, 2023, 01:56 pmI feel like at least a few people have scratch-built this type of lamp.  It's too bad GalacticProbe isn't here anymore.  He'd be able to find one of the relevant builds within 24 hours of me saying this. 

I'm one of the crazies who've scratch built that lamp for mine which is in my build diary on here. having said that, i managed to pick up a real new haven lamp off ebay a couple months ago, it came from a German seller but got to me in the uk fine, so keeping an eye out on there may yield something
Bren

Volpone

Quote from: brenk9carter on Jan 09, 2023, 08:24 am
Quote from: Volpone on Jan 08, 2023, 01:56 pmI feel like at least a few people have scratch-built this type of lamp.  It's too bad GalacticProbe isn't here anymore.  He'd be able to find one of the relevant builds within 24 hours of me saying this. 

I'm one of the crazies who've scratch built that lamp for mine which is in my build diary on here. having said that, i managed to pick up a real new haven lamp off ebay a couple months ago, it came from a German seller but got to me in the uk fine, so keeping an eye out on there may yield something
Yup.  I was going back through your excellent build thread, which was fun in itself, but I figured machining lamp parts was a bit beyond what most people are able to do. But definitely, have a look at bren's build to see a really nice Capaldi build.   
-The Doctor.

Berenvonbaggins

Bren's build is actually the main inspiration for making my own Capaldi build! His build is superb, an amazing example of a Capaldi box. Machining definitely did cross my mind, but I don't have the tools nor experience to do so.
Quote from: brenk9carter on Jan 09, 2023, 08:24 amhaving said that, i managed to pick up a real new haven lamp off ebay a couple months ago, it came from a German seller but got to me in the uk fine, so keeping an eye out on there may yield something
I'll definitely stay on the lookout, I only hope to be as lucky as you to find one!