Mar 29, 2024, 05:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Karomak's custom sonic screwdriver

Started by Karomak, Apr 06, 2017, 01:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Karomak

Apr 06, 2017, 01:39 pm Last Edit: Apr 06, 2017, 02:12 pm by Karomak
This was a build I been doing for roughly a month. It is my own custom sonic screwdriver. I took apart the Laser screwdriver CO toy and stripped of any gold paint with nail remover. I used the parts I liked of it and I had this metal tube which i cut, sanded and fitted together with the parts of the laser screwdriver, painted it and then put the finishing touches on. I also used two parts of the 9/10 doctor sonic screwdriver. I like the metal effect, the idea is that the Doctor had to build this on Earth out off spare parts, hence the wires leading around the body and into the top ring section and the central body 'readout' (the former isomorphic control section). Also the metal body tube section gives it a nice weight, it is a bit heavier than the 10th Doctor Universal remote but lighter than the CT 11th doctor sonic screwdriver prop which my older brother seldomly lets me hold :'(.

14914856817231287919959.jpg

Front view

1491486012693231707363.jpg

Back view

It does light up, however when I was stripping the 9/10th doctor's sonic screwdriver I accidentally broke off the sound chip and the soldering kit my brother now owns is too big for the tiny motherboard. Then the micro switch came off and so did the uv light. After a few hours of swearing and "ugh what a waste of money"ing (i did pay £9 on eBay for it) I had a lightbulb moment. I stripped off the red and black wire cover things, twisted both copper wires, I put the black section copper wire underneath the bottom battery and I twisted the red section copper wire around a screw that was in this wierd black thing I found. I supersuperglued the black thing down, on top of this hole I drilled into the body, pulled in the battery compartment and leveled it so the screw was just above the top battery. Therefore whenever you push the screw, the light operates. (The bottom piece is removeable so I can still access the batteries) .The light isnt at the top of the emmiter so it is dim in daylight but at night its fairly bright and if you remove off the emitter section at night it is like a bloody u.v torch.

1491486901083-201278719.jpg

Face view light up

14914870350111992204447.jpg

Front view light up.

One bonus of the light being in the body is that the little holes in the top ring section of the laser screwdriver light up. It looks quite blue in the photos but irl it is that uv purple colour.

And anyway, the sonic screwdriver prop doesn't make any noise  ;D
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

The14thDr

This looks awesome Karomak!!! I'm a bit of a "sonic junkie" so I love seeing custom sonic builds. Well done!! :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Apr 07, 2017, 05:03 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017, 05:03 am by galacticprobe
I agree, Karomak! As a "sonic junkie" I love seeing custom builds like this. Too bad about your sound board and micro switch, though. Also too bad that we live so far apart (roughly 3,754 miles). I've got an almost pencil-point soldering iron and could probably repair both for you. (Tell your brother to get some fine tips for his soldering kit! They do sell tips separately.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Karomak

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 07, 2017, 05:03 am
(Tell your brother to get some fine tips for his soldering kit! They do sell tips separately.)

Aah ok I will!  :)
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.