News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Murphy's law for TARDIS builders

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 04, 2017, 09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 11, 2017, 04:36 am #45 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2017, 04:36 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 10, 2017, 09:04 am
In fact a new Murphy's law should certainly be-  Your TARDIS will always cost you more than you think it will, even if you take into consideration the fact that it will cost more than you think it will.....

Added, with a note to reference Law #1 if you wanted to factor in what labor costs would add. The count is now up to 52 Laws.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

Not sure if this has been added but my experience is that it will never be finished, you'll never be completely happy with it, there'll always be changes you want to make, not just tidying up or regular maintenance but changing components, changing the shape, the size, mixing elements you like from multiple incarnations of the original prop. Every time you think you've got it finished you'll be watching an episode old or new and think "oooo that would look good," and it will eat away at you until you do it.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

Yep, I can totally relate to that too. Just about the only thing I haven't changed on my console is the panels themselves. I'm constantly seeing other builds, or photos of the original props, that inspire me to add or change things on my own build.

And this doesn't just apply to TARDIS or console builds, either. I have a number of gadgets that I'm not happy with, and I'll end up either completely overhauling them or just rebuilding from scratch. ::)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Apr 12, 2017, 03:16 am #48 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017, 03:16 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Apr 11, 2017, 10:28 am
Not sure if this has been added but my experience is that it will never be finished...

It's in there now. This one could almost be split into two halves: the main thought, and then the "oooo..." follow-up. (I'll have a think on that one.) But this is another great one!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

expendable

Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 11, 2017, 10:31 am
Yep, I can totally relate to that too. Just about the only thing I haven't changed on my console is the panels themselves. I'm constantly seeing other builds, or photos of the original props, that inspire me to add or change things on my own build.

If you build panels as separate units that slot into the plinth, you could conceivably update your panels without affecting the rest of the build. Just a thought.

When I'm working in Sketchup, there's several times I will stop a project and go back to the beginning to rework it. What I really need to do is to set up my own personal library of components that I can import into my project.

russellsuthern

Here's a not-at-all funny one I know some of you will relate to:

You build a Dalek or two, you build a TARDIS, you build a console, you even build a console room to put it in-
Then you realize you need to move house...  >:(

Regards,

Russell

davidnagel

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 13, 2017, 07:53 am

The perils of being a renter. I know that one too well.
Regards
David

Scarfwearer

Or indeed a non-renter...

I've thought of another:

##). You get most of the way through your build and realise rather late that you've got some of the dimensions wrong...

expendable

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 13, 2017, 07:53 am
You build a Dalek or two, you build a TARDIS, you build a console, you even build a console room to put it in-

Or a loved one is sick and tired of there being a dalek in the bathroom, a tardis and a half-built console in the bedroom...

Time to rent a storage place.

galacticprobe

Apr 14, 2017, 01:41 pm #54 Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017, 01:41 pm by galacticprobe
Several new ones added to the ever-growing list. (I'm loving this thread!) We're up to 57 Laws so far. Keep them coming! (Too bad we don't have another category for this to fit into other than "Off-Topic". It would be great to keep around once it's "finished" so everyone could access the Laws for reference, or updating as needed. :D)

Dino.

The14thDr

It would be cool if we could have the completed list as a separate locked topic in the "About the Forum" section, then update the list every time a new one is added to this thread.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Apr 14, 2017, 02:01 pm #56 Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017, 02:01 pm by galacticprobe
That's not a bad idea, 14th! Maybe I'll do that when the suggestions start slowing down to a trickle. They're still coming in at a good rate so I won't start it yet, but I do have a great list compiled so far.

Dino.

Scarfwearer

I would have thought http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=29.0 would be a reasonable place for it.

Cardinal Hordriss

DO NOT - start a build diary until the build is already complete. If you start the diary in tandem with the build you'll excite people, the build will turn out crap (by your own standards), you'll dread posting pics of the finished thing and feel you've let everyone down.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jun 18, 2017, 05:01 pm #59 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2017, 05:02 pm by galacticprobe
And just when you thought it was a finished list, and about ready to post it, someone comes along with another great "Murphy's Law" to add to the list! :D

Up to 58 Laws now (and counting). Keep 'em coming!

Dino.