Apr 25, 2024, 03:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Karsten's Kenneth Sharp Console

Started by karsthotep, Mar 25, 2017, 06:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

Thanks guys,  the more I look at it, the more I think this is a closer match than I originally thought,  taking into account that light is going to be filtered  through it  differently once its fully assembled as well as through the edges.   I'll post more pictures once I have the new triangles cut and assembled from it.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

karsthotep

Mar 24, 2018, 09:46 pm #121 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2018, 09:48 pm by karsthotep
Yaaaaay,  its an early birthday for me.  Everything is cut, I need to get the right acrylic cutting blade for the center triangle,  the red is fine but for accuracy I want the orange/pink.  The laser cutter did a great job, can't wait to start assembling it.    1 pertwee and 1 baker.  

The unboxing
54361296757.JPG

Too dark of a red, but still looks nice
54361374219.JPG

My too short triangle in place but will have the right ones cut soon..looks much better.
54361309549.JPG

Whole bag of these for the pertwee
54361995546.JPG

Without Tony's measurements couldn't have done it.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

fivefingeredstyre

Mar 24, 2018, 10:33 pm #122 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018, 12:20 pm by fivefingeredstyre
Ooo... that brings back memories :D

karsthotep

Mar 26, 2018, 06:45 pm #123 Last Edit: Mar 26, 2018, 07:46 pm by karsthotep
I have an electrical question that I need some help on.  

for the LED striplights I am getting from the UK they are  3.5w 221mm LED Striplight 2700k rated at 240 Volts.  We are 110 volts in the US,  Will they work here in the US or am I going to have to get a step up transformer to run them on?  something like this

https://www.amazon.com/110V-220V-converter-UMI-continuous/dp/B06XSNM18H/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522093342&sr=1-11&keywords=step+up+110+volts+to+240+volts

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Simran-SMF-100-Universal-Converter-Worldwide/dp/B003DQSMGC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522093342&sr=1-4&keywords=step+up+110+volts+to+240+volts

I have seen a few youtube videos of 240 volt lights run on 110 volts and there was no issue but I want to make the proper choices for getting these set up correctly.  

Thank you all.

karsthotep

alright, well I guess I'll go ahead and get the step up transformer so I am running the lights on the voltage they were meant to run on. 

fivefingeredstyre

Before you splash out on a xformer, I'll let you know for sure a bit later on, if that's ok...

karsthotep

You da man..thanks Steve. 

karsthotep

Mar 30, 2018, 03:46 pm #127 Last Edit: Mar 30, 2018, 09:55 pm by karsthotep
I don't mind telling you I was sweating bullets cutting these.   I have enough acrylic where I think I will do a couple more and take the best out of the batch, but these really came out well. For acrylic cutting you need a triple chip acrylic blade with at least 60 teeth, Mine had 80, go slow and leave on the plastic/paper covering   I love the color, they are not spot on to the one triangle I have but close enough for me.  

54411714362__E9D08DB3-2FEE-4C2E-AC1E-B4A705752246.JPG

IMG_0474.jpg

Scarfwearer

Mar 30, 2018, 04:48 pm #128 Last Edit: Mar 30, 2018, 04:49 pm by Scarfwearer
Well bad-ass Scarfwearer uses a 24 tooth ripping blade for all acrylic sheet cutting. In fact he uses the same blade for pretty much everything - until it has enough missing teeth that it won't cut any more:
bad-blade.jpg

karsthotep

Scarfwearer

I was starting to wonder why I was having sand the splinters off the ends of the 2x4s I was cutting... :o The new blade works much better. ;)

davidnagel

Gosh! You've been busy!
If your third triangle has no home, I will find one for you :D
Regards
David

Davros Skaro

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Mar 30, 2018, 04:48 pm
Well bad-ass Scarfwearer uses a 24 tooth ripping blade for all acrylic sheet cutting. In fact he uses the same blade for pretty much everything - until it has enough missing teeth that it won't cut any more:
bad-blade.jpg

You can get them resharpened, just look for a "saw doctor", yes I'm serious! They should be able to sharpen or replace the tungsten tip on blades too. All the best.

Chris.
Chris.

Scarfwearer

Now there's a thought - I think I still have it hanging on a nail somewhere.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: karsthotep on Mar 30, 2018, 03:46 pm
I don't mind telling you I was sweating bullets cutting these.   I have enough acrylic where I think I will do a couple more and take the best out of the batch, but these really came out well.
Terrifying isn't it?

Did you have to polish the edges afterwards?