Apr 20, 2024, 02:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Other Dave's Tom Baker Console

Started by Other Dave, Mar 21, 2017, 05:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

Hey  Dave, how deep are your fins?   I am comparing to mine and yours look a lot deeper 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Other Dave

Apr 03, 2017, 03:28 pm #16 Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:36 pm by Other Dave
The casters I ordered arrived.  These are great casters - I used these for my other console too.
progress16.jpg

Here they are installed on the base.  And I decided to go ahead and put a coat of paint on the bottom.
progress17.jpg

These are the seats from my mini-van.  I didn't realize it, but apparently Cybermen have taken over the Chrysler factory!
progress18.jpg

I've cut the round platform for the Time Rotor out of 1/2 plywood and attached the legs to it.
progress19.jpg

These are the drawer slides I'm using: 24" WITHOUT the auto-closing feature.
progress20.jpg

And then I've attached 2x4s to the other side of the slides.  Next up is to attach the 2x4s to the rotor base - making sure everything is level and plumb.  (The rotor base then sits on top of the base with the casters)
progress21.jpg

Meanwhile, I've also been working on various controls for the panels.  This console has the same style levers as the original - and I can reuse the ones that I made before - EXCEPT that this build is at 85% and they'll be too big.  So I found an awesome technique to make a shrunken mold!
(See this link: http://www.reynoldsam.com/media/video/we0nOvtAMw4/ )

So I ordered the products and followed the directions.  It takes 10 days for the mold to shrink.
Here is a new mold of my lever part.  The original measures 4 3/8" - but my goal is to have it shrunk down to 3.72".  So I drew the scale right on the mold - and then measured it daily to chart its progress.
progress22.jpg

After only about 4 days it has shrunk down to the size I need.  I made three castings ( pre-coated in aluminum powder).  I also made an extra just in case I need it.  The mold will keep on shrinking, so I've captured the size that I need now.  The handle on the far left is one of my original castings (painted silver)
progress23.jpg

(Of course, if I only had a 3D printer....)

tony farrell

I like the idea of the recessed castors. Do they have a specific name?

T

Angelus Lupus

Nice casters! Also - very neat trick on casting the lever and then deliberately shrinking the mold!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

13drwho

The great thing is now that you have some 85% levers you can mold one in non-shrinking silicone and have the ability to make more if you need to. Awesome work!

karsthotep

great idea and love your console build.   You are giving me ideas on mine as well.   I am going to be watching your time rotor mechanizing portion with great interest.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Other Dave

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 03, 2017, 03:34 pm
I like the idea of the recessed castors. Do they have a specific name?

T

They're called "Self Mounting Ro-To Fix Spring Cup Casters" !

I stumbled on these online: Here's the link:http://www.mappcaster.com/DetailPage/SM-8OTWW1400.aspx

tony farrell

Superstar - thank you!

T

Other Dave

Small update here:

I also made a shrinking mold (or mould!) from my lever.  Here's a pic of the mold and lever. I poured this a couple of days ago and it has already shrunk 1/2".  When it gets to my goal size of 7.65", then I'll cast three of these.
progress24.jpg

I've started to mount the motor base on the bottom base and am ready to get going with it, but I need to wait for a very important part - the metal arm that goes on the motor.  I went to a machine shop and told them what I need.  I'll post a picture of it when I get it next week.  Once I have it, then I can mount the motor and make the platform move up/down. Can't wait!
progress25.jpg

In the meantime, I've also been working on a few of the controls for the panels. Here is a series of progress shots for the strange-looking dial that shows up in three places.

I cut up a plastic jar and glued its lid underneath. Then found, cut, and glued a plastic tube in the middle.
progress26.jpg

Then cut up some styrene for what appears to be some fins inside.  I also found some very small corrugated cardboard that I carefully pealed apart.
progress27.jpg

I glued the cardboard around the jar.  
progress28.jpg

I primed and painted it and tried to smooth the cardboard fuzziness out of it and was mostly successful. And then made a mold and three castings. Eh, good enough. There will be a silver carriage bolt going down the middle.
progress29.jpg

For another strange-looking component, I found furniture glides that were just the right size: 1.25" diameter.
progress30.jpg

Removing the nail and black washer underneath, I mounted them to an acrylic piece I prepared.  The piece is made of black acrylic glued on red acrylic. And then I cut and sanded the heck out of it. I really like the way it turned out.  (There are larger nylon furniture glides available - and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's exactly what they used back then!)
progress31.jpg

One more item. I found these in the plumbing department. They are pipe connectors -and are just the diameter I need. (At 100% they would be 6" in diameter, but for my build I need them to be 5 inches.)  They are a little thick, but they're the right size and already black!  It took a while to sand the one down. Now I need to make sure the second one matches.

progress32.jpg

That's all for now.  Waiting for some really cool items from a different machine shop. Hope I get them today!!

- Other Dave

Other Dave

Quote from: karsthotep on Apr 02, 2017, 07:59 pm
Hey  Dave, how deep are your fins?   I am comparing to mine and yours look a lot deeper 

Don't go by my measurements!  Not only is this build at 85%, but I have taken "dimensional liberties" with the size of the plinth.  ( "Dimensional Liberties" - sounds like something Jon Pertwee would have said!)

The14thDr

I'm loving everything about this!! It's looking great so far. Keep up the good work! :)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Other Dave

Look what I picked up yesterday!!!
progress33.jpg

Laser-cut 3/16" aluminum pieces!!!!  I'm so excited!!!  They're AWESOME!  The process leaves a lot of scratches, so I'm busy sanding and polishing them up.

Now that I have these, I'm trying to figure out what the best paint color for the panels should be.  Later on the console was painted a dark gray, but for this version, it's a medium gray - almost a primer gray.  Has anyone done any research on the color?
progress34.jpg

I'm starting to lay out the panels with all the things I've been collecting/making. Here's the panel with the fake monitor - which will NOT be fake with THIS version!
progress35.jpg

Check out the joystick! I found it at a place that supplies parts for arcade machines.   It's the perfect size for my 85% console.  But for a full-sized console, I don't think they have a stick that is big enough.

- Other Dave

Rassilons Rod

Oohhh.... !!!

Can't wait to see this lot in place :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

The14thDr

This is coming along beautifully.

I'm insanely jealous of the aluminium panels; they look great! :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

karsthotep

Dave,  gonna have to hit you up when I get to that phase of mine,  the laser cut pieces are awesome.