How many sheets of timber and plywood are needed?

Started by avadh, Jun 06, 2007, 10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

avadh

Jun 06, 2007, 10:31 pm Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 08:36 pm by Scarfwearer
I would like to know how many sheets of timber and plywood are needed to build a box. Also what sizes are required for the timber and plywood or does this depend on the dimensions for the box. Thankyou.

kiwidoc

Jun 07, 2007, 02:33 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 09:34 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: avadh board=faq thread=1181169109 post=1181169109I would like to know how many sheets of timber and plywood are needed to build a box. Also what sizes are required for the timber and plywood or does this depend on the dimensions for the box. Thankyou.

Crikey, that's not an easy one to answer (or is my memory getting soft?)  I recall figuring out the total amount of wood needed and then tryig to draw on paper rectangles how I would cut that wood from a sheet of 8x4' mdf/ply and based my order on that.  If you're following the style of build from the TARDIS Builders WorkshopManual and are making a fullsize box it would be something like

4 x 8x4' plywood
2 x 8x4' 1"thick MDF
1 x 8x4' thinner (1/4 or 1/2 ") MDF

Plus about 200 miscellaneous other bits and pieces.   I'm a big fan of planingi t out first though, list all the ibts you'll need and then add that up and try to figure out how you woulds get those pieces from one large rectangle without messing it up and after a few weeks of dreaming about number you'll be there!    ;)

Scarfwearer

Jun 07, 2007, 03:36 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 09:34 am by scarfwearer
Here's the list of materials I used.
Unfortunately I didn't actually count up the numbers of units of each, as I bought them as I went along and didn't keep track.
  • 4' x 8' sheet of ½" CDX plywood
  • 4' by 8' sheets of ½" MDO plywood (this is plywood with smooth paper/card bonded to the surfaces to give a flat grain-free matt finish)
  • 4' x 8' sheets of ½" MDF hardboard (this is a fibreboard material). The sheets I've bought are actually ½" larger in the flat dimensions.
  • 8' x 2" x 4"  Standard and Better wall studs. Sizes are nominal, and they are actually 3 1/2 " x 1 ¾".
  • 2 x 8' x 2" x 8" floor joists. (Again sizes are nominal)
  • 1" x 5" clear VG fir. (actually ¾" by 4").
  • ¼ round 11/16" radius molding.
  • Lots of wood glue.
  • 3" #10 screws.
  • 2 ½" #10 screws
  • Bolts and furniture fasteners for the walls
  • 2' x 4' sheet of clear acrylic
  • A Jelly-jar light fitting.
  • An 8" x 8" piece of thin hardboard or plywood
  • A 36" piece of 3/8" metal tubing.
  • 4 x 10" bolts, narrow enough to fit down the tubing
  • Finishing nails
  • Lots of spackling paste or wood filler to fill the screw holes.
  • ½" x 1/8" flat moulding (for window mesh)
  • 4 x 4" hinges for doors
  • Door catch and flush-mounted lock
  • Handle for the opening door
  • Handle for the "Pull to open" door.
  • Recessed bolts for top and bottom of the door that normally remains closed.
  • 2 x 2' x 4' Fluorescent lighting diffusers
  • Paint. Primer and Blue Paint. Pick your favourite shade of blue! I used a couple of gallons of "Carbon Blue" which I picked up in Lumbermen's. I needed two coats in Satin, which is as flat as they could do it.
This list is copied from: Scarfwearer's police box materials on my website.

Crispin

avadh

Jun 07, 2007, 04:02 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 09:35 am by scarfwearer
Hi Glen great to hear from you and your tardis builders manual is excellent. I understand it very well and I am following my build on you excellent manual and it will be a full size box. Most of the tools I have such as a drill, screws, wood adhesive glue, sandpaper I am still yet to buy other tools such as a router and a jigsaw and paint and of course the sheets of wood. In the meantime I am still doing scale drawings and working out the dimensions. Thanks for your help and advice.

avadh

Jun 07, 2007, 04:09 pm #4 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 09:35 am by scarfwearer
Hi Scarfwearer your tardis police box looks amazing and your console room replica is out of this world and beautifully built. How on earth did you manage to build that must have taken you quite a while and I love your website by the way great stuff there. Thanks for your help and advice.

mordrogyn

Jul 29, 2009, 10:15 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 09:36 am by scarfwearer
I have revised and revised my plans and building styles for my box so many times it's not even funny.
I actually managed to get my cost for timber and plywood down considerably from my first set of plans with so changes in construction style, though how the box will come together and stand up to the weather is something else entirely as I have not yet started it. (give me a month or so)
By building the doors walls as frames and fitting slightly larger than panel size sections of plywood into them (over sized so that they will fit into grooves cut into the sections) I actually managed to cut down the total number of plywood sheets needed for the doors/walls down to a little over 1 sheet (The exact numbers are somewhere in a jumble of paperwork i don't have to hand at the moment)
The cost of the wood for my NST, based on local wood suppliers came out around $210 USD

Now i don't know where that figure sits with other builds, but that's about as low as I managed to get my wood figures.
Like I said we will see how my plans turn out when I actually begin work on it.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)