FunnyNWittyReference's 3D printed 1/13th Scale Newbury TARDIS

Started by funnynwittyreference, Feb 25, 2019, 04:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

funnynwittyreference

This past weekend I started printing the parts out, I've currently got them all finished except for one. That part is the biggest, because it's the poles combined with the top signs, so it takes forever to print and I held it off for last. Here are all the parts:

Newbury TARDIS Parts.PNG

I also printed both lamps, which are easily interchangeable. Though since the non-fresnel lamp only appears when the prop has a black base, the inaccuracy will bug me and I'll probably end up printing another some day. I'll be painting it mostly non-weathered like it was at first, because I like its nice clean look in Masque

Newbury TARDIS Lights.PNG
Newbury TARDIS Police light.PNG

And testing the doors to make sure they're able to turn freely:

Newbury TARDIS Doors.PNG

That's all for now, I'll update again tomorrow when the final part should be done printing.
I've come out of lurking just to post this.

funnynwittyreference

Well that's my lesson to never say "update tomorrow" ever again. The part with the poles I was printing was apparently minorly messed up, where it left one of the quarter rounded parts off on one of the poles in the front. It's noticable if you look closely, and I know it'd bug me to always have a messed up version, so now I'm printing a slightly updated version. I'll be painting this messed up one as the S17 TARDIS, with the black base and heavy weathering, and the other one as the pristine version as seen in Masque on Mangrogana.

I've since started assembly and painting, here's how it's looking so far:

(featuring bonus junk-filled work area and half-stared Nyssa figure)
Newbury painting 1.png
Newbury Painting 2.png

I designed a handle that's hidden under the base so the doors can be opened and closed, since neither one of them has a door handle:

Newbury Painting 3.png
Newbury Painting 4.png

funnynwittyreference

I got her all assembled now, just need to paint and add on the signs:

Newbury assembled.pngNewbury assembled 2.pngnewbury assembled 3.pngNewbury assembled 6.png

Unfortunately when hammering in the base, two of the windows popped out, despite being superglued into place beforehand. One of them went back in looking relatively normal, the other no longer fits because of the dried glue in the area it needs to be in. It now looks like this and there's no way I can reach back inside again and fix it:

newbury assembled 4.png

I've fixed the way the walls and windows fit together to try and see if it prevents it in my other version. Hopefully I can have this one completely finished and the rest of the other one fully printed by the end of the weekend.

funnynwittyreference

Mar 03, 2019, 01:39 pm #3 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2019, 02:06 pm by funnynwittyreference
And she's all finished:

No message is associated with this attachment.

Tom's figure hardly even fits through the doors, and because of how thick the scarf is, both doors need to be opened to get him in:

K9 fits much better:

Next up: The TYJ. But that's a story for another topic.

Really pleased with how this came out, though the different colors between the normal and pebbled glass bits doesn't really work unless you get light shining right through it. It's probably better that way, because the glass paint runs a lot, so it overlapped the pebbled glass panes a little in some spots.

(I'm not sure how I go about making a gallery for it, do I just make one, or is there a way to move this topic over there?)

frax owen

You're doing great work with these. So far i've printed your Brachacki altered and am just painting again in the season 9 onwards colours. Also part way through printing your Newbery but i've got an issue with bed warp on my printer so I am awaiting the replacement free of charge bed.

Really looking forward to you TYJ updates and hope to one day have all your TARDIS's lined up on my shelf, one per Doctor ;)