News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:7 Scale Original Brachacki Build

Started by fivefingeredstyre, Feb 27, 2017, 05:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

Feb 27, 2017, 05:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017, 06:55 pm by fivefingeredstyre
Hello...

I'm on a bit of a pause at the moment, as (for one reason and another) I can't get to several of the projects I've got on the go at the moment; so not being one to hang around doing nothing I thought I'd have a go at scratch building my own model TARDIS.

The Brachacki box has always been my favorite so I thought i'd take the plunge with that version, specifically how it looked prior to the 1966 refurb:

ttyertyertyr_zpsucpm5tf9.jpg 15350730_554576081403113_4991581658160374195_n_zps2li1fijj.jpg

15665540_10154731577540586_8357455933026720602_n_zpshjhhlgx3.jpg

Ideally with the round style of lamp and a base that sits level with the floor, rather than raised on castors. The intention is to emulate this colour scheme (as its possibly the most natural colour photo I find from the era):

Marco%20Polo1_zps5tmxw0ul.jpg

The model itself is going to be cast in resin sections, but first of all I needed to make up some "positives" I could use to mould the actual pieces from:

fyyytrfou_zpsghamv1tn.jpg

They are made out of styrene and ive given them a base texturing with model filler, it's my intention to individually texture each panel on top of its base so that each side is unique.

This is as far as i've got at the moment (Yeah, I know i'm a signbox short of a TARDIS - I ran out of resin :D)

utfoiutfo_zpscrohe7pu.jpg

I can't decide if i want to have a couple of the windows open or not. Still, plenty of time to make my mind up on that one... :)

Scarfwearer

Well.... it is the only TARDIS that ever has had opening windows...

I don't know how I'd even cut styrene like that. It looks great!

Crispin

fivefingeredstyre

Ta!

To be fair, most of the styrene is available in strips that are just a fraction of a millimetre different (both larger and smaller) than the sizes required for parts like the window bars, the steps etc. The rest you just trim with a sharp knife.

At this scale the fractional difference is not noticeable in the slightest... ;)

I think I might make at least window open, it would be a shame not to.

davidnagel

Nice! Look forward to seeing this done.

And lovely resins. Thats quite brand new to me, need to work out my weights/formulas.
Regards
David

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 02, 2017, 09:43 am
And lovely resins. Thats quite brand new to me, need to work out my weights/formulas.
I have to admit, I'm terrible at the calculations....  :-[

fivefingeredstyre

Mar 05, 2017, 09:52 am #5 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 09:53 am by fivefingeredstyre
A little update...

rtetyerty_zpsvtx65lht.jpg

The windows are just taped in place, as I need to paint those separately, and its only had the first layer of texturing done so far.

It's still looking a little squat at the moment as I need to build the base and roof, but I'm quite pleased with the progress so far.

Mark

That looks great so far.

Quick question, I understand making the parts initially from styrene but how do you use these parts to make the molds for the resin part?

Also, how easy is resin to work with, such as mixing and sanding for example?

fivefingeredstyre

I've started on the base and the first stage of the roof now, so I can demonstrate my megre moulding skills...

First off I start with the Styrene mock-up I can use for forming the mold. I'm making both the base and the roof step in four separate sides, rather than a single solid piece, that way I can account for any irregularities in the construction of the box sides...

This is a base section

kljgfhiljgfdd_zps5nltubxg.jpg

Next up I make a box section to hold the silicone

dtyuirtyurty_zpsfplimjwg.jpg

Knock up 100ml of silicone and pour...

jhkljiltuiluioyuip_zpsws2qzqd1.jpg

Then take a roof tier section

tyurtertyum_zpslur9ukz2.jpg

Make another box to form a mold

ghjuytrewsdqoo_zpsfnmgksfr.jpg

whisk up 90ml of silicone and pour again...

ghwwewqqasdretgf_zpsu8ktmkmf.jpg

And then put it somewhere flat and level and leave for a few hours to go off...

This is as far as I've got at the moment. I usually leave the silicone to go off overnight and make my first cast in the morning. I'll post an update when i'm done...

Mark

Thanks for doing this tutorial, I look forward to the next instalment.

Judging so far, I might have a crack at this resin business sometime. Especially if you have to have a beer while doing it!

fivefingeredstyre

I find beer is both the cause and the temporary solution to most of life's challenges... ;)

Davros Skaro

I prefer a good port or whiskey, beer upsets my stomach from TOO much drinking when I was younger (17 - 22) haven't drunk beer since then.

Chris.

galacticprobe

Mar 06, 2017, 07:39 am #11 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2017, 07:39 am by galacticprobe
I know how you feel, Chris. I'm unfortunately allergic to beer, which is a real bummer because I love Guinness. (Less than half of a half pint will send me into a migraine within 15 minutes.) Hence, I go for hard cider... or one of the others you mentioned. However, because of my medications I have to do it in extreme moderation... like nursing a small glass of port over a hour or so, otherwise I have problems. :P

On a different note: I also love that tutorial on the moulding process, Steve. In my earlier model-making days if there was part of the kit I wanted to have clear so light would shine through - if I stuck a light inside the model - I would burgle a tube of RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) rubber from work where we used it for weatherproofing antenna connections, and squeeze some of that around the part. That was my moulding experience. The casting was just squeezing some clear modeling glue into the mould and waiting for it to dry. Not as professional as what you're (or others) are doing, but back in the day, it served the purpose.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

How do...

Once the mold has set you can remove the styrene formers, and your left with something that looks like this:

eb9284cca7c54f738ea7399b020f7c35_zpsd7xt9qei.jpg

And the resin...

6a21c456ec331f6cf056930bb6d88f41_zpsfzcmxya9.jpg

And before too long you wind up with a pile of pieces like this...

bbb56201db50638ffe93f4aacb0f0975_zpso41he7sx.jpg

Dino... nice idea to use clear glue for small castings, never thought of that one.

fivefingeredstyre

Mar 07, 2017, 09:27 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 06:17 am by fivefingeredstyre
A little more progress... The first stage of the roof is fitted :)

oliupoiuio_zpsdgk4qpdw.jpg

When it's all one colour like that it looks like it's been made from plasticine, doesn't it? :D

davidnagel

Lol, yes! But good job though. Wallace and Gromit will be walking out in no time.

Must pull my finger out and do some resin-ing stuff
Regards
David