News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Jason's TARDIS tools

Started by 13drwho, Feb 23, 2017, 02:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

These are awesome!!! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

The14thDr

These are looking fantastic!! I honestly can't tell which tools were 3D printed and which you made yourself! :o

The paint jobs on the 3D printed tools look like they were made from real metal. I am insanely jealous of your collection right now (will you be building a toolkit afterwards to keep them all in ;))
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

13drwho

I do intend to build a tool box. I will probably build it out of wood BASED on the 1980's tool box. Making it out of wood from scratch means it can't be 100% accurate right off the bat. The only thing wrong with wood is that the box will be on the heavy side even empty. Still, I'm confident it will look great sitting under my console!

davidnagel

Quote from: 13drwho on Apr 15, 2017, 06:15 pm
I do intend to build a tool box. I will probably build it out of wood BASED on the 1980's tool box. Making it out of wood from scratch means it can't be 100% accurate right off the bat. The only thing wrong with wood is that the box will be on the heavy side even empty. Still, I'm confident it will look great sitting under my console!

Could always make a fibreglass copy
Regards
David

The14thDr

Quote from: 13drwho on Apr 15, 2017, 06:15 pm

Awesome! I can't wait!

And I've said it before but those tools are looking great so far (only 4 more to go, you're over half way ;) ;D)

13drwho

The Moog Drone Clamp prints arrived! They came out great. I've primed one at started painting. Just three more to go. I may just use a real penlight for the penlight. I've looked for years and never found on that looks like the tool kit one so it might be the only peice that doesn't look right. I have a pen with a laser pointed and flashlight in it, but it looks nothing like the prop... so I have to decide is it better to have an accurate looking prop that doesn't have a working pen or light, or is it better to have a working version?

I rambled a little. On to the Moog Drone Clamp pictures (pre-paint)

moog drone clamp print.jpg

too_many_cars

The pen torch from the 80s toolkit is a medical pen light with a lab prototyping electrical lug jammed in the back end.  I have three of them, and one recently was on eBay with no bids:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332152772294

--Brian

galacticprobe

Apr 24, 2017, 04:38 am #52 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2017, 04:46 am by galacticprobe
This one sold on April 11 for $15 US. For anyone trying to hunt it down, it was listed as a "VINTAGE Doctors Medical Light Pen". (The main description of the item didn't give any other details, and no brand name was given.)

I was able to snatch a couple of pics if it, though:
TARDIS-Toolkit-Penlight(Actual)-01.jpg  TARDIS-Toolkit-Penlight(Actual)-02.jpg
(That plastic sleeve over the "PRESS TO LITE" paddle is said to be for keeping the penlight from lighting when it's clipped into the pocket.)

Anyway, hopefully this will help give some nice detail so people know what to look for. (Brian, since you've got these, are there any maker's marks/brand names on them that would help with an eBay search, other than a generic "VINTAGE Doctors Medical Light Pen"?)

I hope this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

May 26, 2017, 01:04 am #53 Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:33 am by 13drwho
Life has been busy at work, so I've been away a bit. I finally finished the Moog Drone Clamp! All that's left is the Master Drone Clamp, Laser Cutter, and Pen Light. There is a good chance I will just use a modern pen light for now. So for those keeping score 6 of 9 so far!

Moog Drone Clamp.jpg

6 of 9.jpg

13drwho

I just finished the model for the Master Drone Clamp. I've already placed the order for the parts! I'm getting close. Here are a couple pictures of the model...

Master Drone Clamp Assembly  isometric.JPG

Exploded
Master Drone Clamp Assembly  exploded.JPG

The14thDr

Nice! Can't wait to see this one printed and assembled! Keep up the good work, the Jason. :)

Volpone

I'm just going to say that somewhere I've got a copy of FASA's Dr. Who Roleplaying Game, which makes good use of this toolkit in its graphics, so this thread is a bit of a kick for me (I don't actually remember the toolbox from "Earthshock" and that is one of the serials that RetroTV, criminally, doesn't have licensed.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

13drwho

I just finished the model for the Laser Cutter. It me a little while because I was watching Earthshock and having difficulty nailing down the shape of the black piece. Back and forth, back and forth looking at the couple of moments you get to see it. I'm pretty happy with the model now. Take a look and let me know what you think.

By the way the parts for the Master Drone Clamp are due in this week!

laser cutter assembly.JPG

laser cutter assembly cross section.JPG

The14thDr

I think it looks great! Your modelling skills are outstanding; I can't wait to see photos of the Master Drone Clamp.

13drwho

I have completed the Master Drone Clamp. In the episode he refers to it as "Magnetic Drone", so I put a bunch of Neodymium magnets in it. Part for the Laser Cutter should be here Saturday. For those keeping score, this makes 7 Of 9 (ya, funny) of The TARDIS Tools! Take a look and let me know what you think.

Magnetic Drone.jpg

Magnet Test.jpg

7 of 9.jpg